Narrow Kerf tech.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I switched to NK on my Shindaiwa 488, and saw an improvement in performance. However, I thought that the 95VP safety chain was a bottleneck. I found the 20NK chain, and it is a big improvement - much faster cutting, and plunge cut much better than the 95VP.

I haven't had it long enough to comment on how durable it is, but I'm happy with the performance.

-=[ Grant ]=-

I've used 20nk for 9 months & they have been great chains ... I run 16" bar & 8pin rims on my PP346 & PP5100s. I have run 3/8 & .325 semi & full chiz on both & I will stay with the 20nk.
I noticed very little differance in cut times between these four chains...
You will notice a big differance in the semi's holding their edge over a full chiz. Twice as long ? no but close ....
You will notice more vibration in 3/8" compared to .325 on these saws (346-5100) and a big differance in how a 3/8" jerks small limbs (3/4" to 2") out of the way insted of cutting them. The .325 never seems to kick limbs away, and yes I keep rpm's up, way up ....
I use a Max grinder and pull the clamp rail to me at 5 to 7 degrees which gives it a hook on 20nk. I think this helps a bit ...
I cut a lot of tops of downed hardwoods, that's why I owne two nice, fast "limbing saws" , and use .325 chains. ... 12" or bigger, go get a bigger saw ...
Also, the PP5100s is no PP346 ..... The 346 (45cc) is a step above the 5100 in speed & feel. The 5100 is very nice but just not a 346 ...
Both are ported correctly ....

Where is Aintry? I live in Forsyth and work in Macon at a papermill. It looks like Dan ported some saws for you. He ported two of mine and did a great job. The 2171 is awsome.

Regards, Bruce

Yes, Dan does a fine job woods porting......
He has tried to get me to do a 372 or a 357 but .......
Bet your 2171 will wake the neighbors... down the road!!!!
I wish I would have bought a PP372 insted of buying a 7900 ...
Aintry, fictional, North Ga. ... Squeeeel Piggy!!!!
I'm a useless Buckeye ...

My 18'' arbor pro bar and 20 nk combo came in and it cuts really good , very happy . When I get a chance I'll try the loop of 20LP and see if there's any difference .

I ran NK bars and chains from Bailey's and had a terrible expeience with them. The bars lasted from 3 hours to 3 weeks and one chain broke right away. When I had used up all 3 bars I quit using NK and went back to regular .325.

Iv'e been using the woodland pro 20nk chain for awhile now with no problems at all , I'll have to see how long the arbor pro bar lasts , I'm not cutting every day , mostly weekends .

Did you see any difference in cutting speed between NK and regular .325 ??

Posted this in another thread but I'll say it again here:

OK...what are your choices? Once you've run narrow kerf on your small bores...you're not going to want to go back. I believe Husky has a "pixel" bar...is it a narrow kerf?...always wondered....

Arbor Pro may not look like much...but they hold up well. After reading this post I went to the shop and tried to stick a .058 drive link in the very first NK bar I purchased from Bailey's a few years back...no go. And make no mistake, this bar has seen a lot of wood. Tip's still fine, I use it all the time.

I have them on all my small bores...wish I could find a full chisel chain as well...

I've got a small mount husky 20" .375 Windsor Speed Tip and semi-chisel I'll go straight across for a AP NK same....bought this for a 55 I did a muff mod and mild porting on...don't care for it. I run the Speed Tip on the 65 & 372...but never again on a small saw...lemme' know...

Cord , glad to hear the AP bar's are holding up !!! I couldn't find much else to choose from in NK , Baileys combo was only 23 .00 or so with the 20nk chain. A regular oregon power match bar was 40.00 just the bar !!!

Latest posts

Back