NatGeo episode on redwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
just watched an episode on giant redwoods on national geographic. some ecologists were looking for the tallest redwood in some park and they had to climb this one tree to drop a line tape to measure the height.

so, the guy begins climbing......from a rope....to the top and measures the height of the tree to be like 359 feet tall.

my question is...who put the rope there for him to climb to the top?

just watched an episode on giant redwoods on national geographic. some ecologists were looking for the tallest redwood in some park and they had to climb this one tree to drop a line tape to measure the height.

so, the guy begins climbing......from a rope....to the top and measures the height of the tree to be like 359 feet tall.

my question is...who put the rope there for him to climb to the top?

He did, or the climb team, Dr. Steve Sillett, Jim Spickler etc. did, great climbers. They use a crossbow to set a fishing line, then pull up a throwline then pull up the climbing rope. SRT initial entry then one person lead climbs to the top typically alternating lanyard technique, sets additional SRT lines so they can move up or down the entire length of the tree as needed to do measurements. Climb in the very top is alt lanyard usually, depends how skinny the top is.
-Andrew

thanks.

they didn't mention that on the show and gave the impression they were the first to climb the tree.

Vandals and gloryseekers, the science is way second. People like them have caused degradation of a few, very special places, "discovering" places that have been know for many years. There is a reason locals generally don't talk about our groves, the despicable mark the spots and they are never the same afterwards.

..."discovering" places that have been know for many years.

I do a lot of tall tree measuring in the east. When we locate a tall tree in the woods and measure it we don't think that we "discovered" the tree, but we know we are probably the first to measure it. I never heard that the redwood researchers claimed to be the first to see the tallest redwoods, just the first to determine with tape drops which ones actually were the tallest.

What's happening in the groves, what kind of damage are you seeing?
-Andrew

The usual thing, trash, compacted soil, torn bark (spurs?) broken limbs, fire pits, the generally ugly debris left by humans. A pristine area has no chance after being "discovered".

if someone climbed that tree before the guy on tv, and left the rope there, wouldn't it be considered foolish to trust another's rope?

especially if you're going to climb 359 feet. i only climb a tree with spikes, and i'm not a "recreational climber" ( i climb to cut and am an amature), but, maybe they didn't want to show someone climbing with spikes before they ran the cameras?

400 feet is a tall tree....

if someone climbed that tree before the guy on tv, and left the rope there, wouldn't it be considered foolish to trust another's rope?

especially if you're going to climb 359 feet. i only climb a tree with spikes, and i'm not a "recreational climber" ( i climb to cut and am an amature), but, maybe they didn't want to show someone climbing with spikes before they ran the cameras?

400 feet is a tall tree....

People who climbed on TV set the rope. They don't use spikes, they go up SRT.
-AJ

The usual thing, trash, compacted soil, torn bark (spurs?) broken limbs, fire pits, the generally ugly debris left by humans. A pristine area has no chance after being "discovered".

If researchers are leaving firepits and trash than it should be documented, and handed over to state or fed parks services depending on location.

Researchers I know about don't use spurs.

Or are you talking about the general public coming in after all the publicity about the trees?
-AJ

I do a lot of tall tree measuring in the east. When we locate a tall tree in the woods and measure it we don't think that we "discovered" the tree, but we know we are probably the first to measure it. I never heard that the redwood researchers claimed to be the first to see the tallest redwoods, just the first to determine with tape drops which ones actually were the tallest.

What's happening in the groves, what kind of damage are you seeing?
-Andrew

They actually measure every limbs girth, forks are mapped and core samples taken..every four ft or so they measure the girth of the tree to the tippy top and to the end of everybranch, and when they cant get out on a branch they use lasers. This all adds up to being able to assimilate a model of the tree that they can use to study growth and change

:newbie:you can see the climb on youtube "climbing the worlds tallest tree" .
throwline was shot into the tree with a crossbow, the 1st laterals at about 200 feet.
i am certain the scientist packed their trash and left the site fine.:newbie:

:newbie:you can see the climb on youtube "climbing the worlds tallest tree" .
throwline was shot into the tree with a crossbow, the 1st laterals at about 200 feet.
i am certain the scientist packed their trash and left the site fine.:newbie:

I guess you are talking about RandyMac here. Yep he's a newbie.

Tell us Randy have you ever even run a chainsaw?

(BTW around here "researchers" love to brag about "their" discoveries even when we have called them in to look at something. It happened with a boat, water pipe, bones, etc.)

What happened to Randy Macs last post? Too much info?

I was wondering about those so-called woods destroying researchers, sounded like typical college kids weekending it in the woods.
-AJ

This video is about 9 minutes long, and has some photographer stuff too. And overlaps the National Geographic episode this topic is about.

[video=youtube_share;25Jzk7s635s]http://youtu.be/25Jzk7s635s[/video]

:msp_smile:

Back