near balance point rigging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuBRXDTpzFE

Nothing too crazy... 10 cuts.. And it does clearly show many of the advantages of tying off near the balance point ... better ability to steer the piece with the hinge, reducing shock loads (less movement after seperation) There was no room to let many of the pieces run, better ground clearnace, and easier handling of the piece by groundies. ...

Going spikeless made the limb walking much easier. Up and down in an hour..
There is also one cut on another tree at the end of the video. Peter Fixler was the climber. Lowering line was set and tied off from the ground.

alright, Ive had it:

This is insane, I was just over at another site reading more about this "balance point rigging" and listening to everyone blather on - maybe I've been doing this too long or something, but it seems to me its all just treework, not really as complicated as all that...jeezus, :censored:!

Anyone ever heard of a tip tie/butt tie?? and no, its not slower, its safer and you can take bigger pieces right to the trunk, besides theres much less shock to the tree, Its also nice to have the butt line to guide the lead down/into the chipper, or whatever - greenhorns! What do you do when theres an actual obstacle??

This is insane, I was just over at another site reading more about this "balance point rigging" and listening to everyone blather on - maybe I've been doing this too long or something, but it seems to me its all just treework, not really as complicated as all that...jeezus, :censored:!

Anyone ever heard of a tip tie/butt tie?? and no, its not slower, its safer and you can take bigger pieces right to the trunk, besides theres much less shock to the tree, Its also nice to have the butt line to guide the lead down/into the chipper, or whatever - greenhorns! What do you do when theres an actual obstacle??

Lol. Somethins' sure got you fired up this mornin', MDS. I feel ya though. I didn't realize this was anything new. I use it if the situation calls for it, but it's rare. Usually if I'm working over something I'm trying to avoid hitting but it wouldn't really matter if it got scraped, like a bush or something. I'd never try a move like that in a high obstacle situation over a house. And once I'm clear of obstacles below me, just tie the closest part of the branch to your position and send it. One of murph's vids, don't know if it was this one, I didn't watch it, showed him working near other trees and I see it's usefulness there. I think some guys just like naming techniques and showing how to do it so they can pretend they invented something new. :dizzy:

nice work, balancing the limbs or tip tieing is necessary on some jobs like that one to avoid tearing up the trees around it. There is always more than one way to take a tree down. Tieing at the tips does allow more control of the swing but the climber has to position himself to avoid the butt coming back. You need to have confidence in your rope man before doing this.

just seems like extra work to me going out to the middle instead of butt tying not to mention the fact that if the guy on the rope makes a simple mistake the climber could lose his head.......

This video is art. It should be made mandatory viewing for all tree climbers.

:clap:

It should be made mandatory viewing for all tree groundies.

Fix'd. Oddly enough I had a big oak takedown to do today most branches needed "balance point rigging" due to proximity of other trees and a ridiculous landscape below. Had I not seen Murphs vids I would not know what the name was for what I had been doing all these years. I think most climbers do this on a regular basis anyway but it is more than necessary to have a groundie who knows whats up. My guy today kept trying to lock the limbs up on me and made it a real pain in the ass.

Nice re make of an old song but the video?

How do you get this guy to do unneeded technique just to have you make a point on tree forums that don't pay you a cent?

Looked like your ages old technique actually caused the piece a few times to be thrown into the adjacent trees. Sending too large of pieces to be efficiently handled by the ground while you wield the camera.

Thought you gave up on AS (as you said it sucked) and a week or so later you're back pushing another vid of routine techniques?

My thoughts are that it takes a good eye on the ground to keep those limbs moving they way they should.

Yeah just ask Fishercat I bounced one off of him today... But Im blaming the porta-wrap. Thats my story and Im sticking too it. small piece no harm no foul

Nice video Dan good to see you posting again.

Nice re make of an old song but the video?

How do you get this guy to do unneeded technique just to have you make a point on tree forums that don't pay you a cent?

Looked like your ages old technique actually caused the piece a few times to be thrown into the adjacent trees. Sending too large of pieces to be efficiently handled by the ground while you wield the camera.

Thought you gave up on AS (as you said it sucked) and a week or so later you're back pushing another vid of routine techniques?

I'm waiting for murphs "how to tie your shoes like a world class climber" vid.

Hey....back in the day....when we used to puffeth of the crooked cigarette....we used to call those things "profound revelations". :popcorn:.

I'm waiting for murphs "how to tie your shoes like a world class climber" vid.

Shoes? I guess I am just a sleazy utility hack, I wear lineman boots.

Question, how many of you can tie up your boots properly, by using the "loggers tie"?

don't know that one clearance..

looking at the vid again (sorry but I like the music), what do you see....some tip tied (butt heavy), some mid tied to get them to hinge and turn into an open space (not in reality but just for Murph's vid) and .....drum roll....the big premise ....some "near balance point tied"...wow, just think of it.

Any whoo, it seems in this vid and the last one that when the pieces were mid or balance point tied they were lowered so the climber doesn't get skewered by the butt. So.....he cuts the branch and the groundie lowers while he is cutting so it hinges over safely .....my question is...

why even have a mid tie in(balance point) ....you may just as well have butt tied it at that point. They both hinge over in the same path.

Last edited:
Back