necessity is a mutha

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Moved logs the other day with the antique, and discovered a problem.
The tube was sticking out of the tread. :omg:
That isn't going to live long... what to do?
Priced new tire(s) expensive. Not sure that the tractor would live long enough to wear them out...
Decided to try something completely butch.

I patched it. Carriage bolts, and stuck a flap of rubber inside to protect tube from abrasion from bolt heads.tyre.jpg

Priced new tire(s) expensive. Not sure that the tractor would live long enough to wear them out...

I patched it. Carriage bolts, and stuck a flap of rubber inside to protect tube from abrasion from bolt heads.View attachment 503480
Is that a Massey Furguson?

someone got good eyes... Yes, massy ferguson. 1956 and so worn out it ain't even funny.

I have not driven it yet. I'll try that they next time I have to deck some logs. I have a buddy gonna check a tractor tire place out by where he is at. might have some 12.4 x 28's

it's old, slow, cranky, uses 1/2 gallon oil an hour, fouls plugs in 15 minutes. has maybe 7 lbs of oil pressure warm. drifts out of gear. but it will move logs around....

Broke shackle.... Just removing a bolt isn't difficult. I made up a contraption years ago involving a piece of steel and a strong chain. Weld a chain link to the end of the bolt and using a hydraulic jack.... on steel pulling on bolt. Came right out with 2 tons on it!
You put them back to the rubber with GoJo hand cleaner, makes that rubber slide like...... :eek:

Or you could just ,,,,

IMG_20160513_165702.jpg

I patched it. Carriage bolts, and stuck a flap of rubber inside to protect tube from abrasion from bolt heads.View attachment 503480

airplanes have crashed and returned to the air with duct tape for fabric... pretty inventive solution to an old tired... tire! we call it: field expediencey... hope it holds for u! I would say definitely dry rotted! omg, look at those cracks! but round is round, and inflated is inflated!... long live the bar treads... lol ;)

Decided to try something completely butch. I patched it. Carriage bolts, and stuck a flap of rubber inside to protect tube from abrasion from bolt heads.View attachment 503480

>The tube was sticking out of the tread. :omg:

that is the pix, i'd like to see....

airplanes have crashed and returned to the air with duct tape for fabric... pretty inventive solution to an old tired... tire! we call it: field expediencey... hope it holds for u! I would say definitely dry rotted! omg, look at those cracks! but round is round, and inflated is inflated!... long live the bar treads... lol ;)
:surprised3::crazy2:

Latest posts

Back