Need a 60cc saw for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now just think about it ! If you sell me yours you have a good excuse to go buy another one. Nothing like that new saw smell!!!! LOL

My take on 60cc saws. As I said before buy any Jonsered/Husky, Dolmar, Echo, Stihl, etc. that you can rebuild and have access to parts. If you buy new, you want dealer support. Local asked me to repair his non-running Jonsered and Husky for him. He had purchased a 372 from me prior, so agreed. Wanted Jonsered repaired first (clue), then work on non-running 262. Told him saw was ready, he replied, I have no money, would you take the 262 as a trade for rebuild. Not having pulled saw down, needing missing parts (air filter, top handle, rewind spring, muffler bolts, cover bolts), could see piston was not scored. Not knowing what inside looked like, took a chance. Told him it was either a good deal for him or maybe ripping him off. Did a vacuum check on saw (no leaks), put an new ring and base gasket (thought about a can gasket), carb kit and needed parts. After rebuild, cut a stack of wood it is sitting in front of. Other rows are just to show that I do cut firewood to heat our home. Here it is. My point is this, buy new or used saw, what every you like. Take care of it and will last a long, long time. Will this saw out cut my Mastermind 562xp, Nope, Mr. Evans does nice work. Will it work as a nice firewood saw, You bet. You can find an old saw and make it live, without spending alot.

Attachments

• IMG_7637.JPG
    IMG_7637.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7639.JPG
    IMG_7639.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7638.JPG
    IMG_7638.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7640.JPG
    IMG_7640.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7641.JPG
    IMG_7641.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
Very nice saw Corey!! Is it stock??
Was that actually you're saw in the video?
Yep my saw and completely stock. Still has the spark screen in the muffler. Just sharp chain and good fuel and she is one solid performing machine. Took it out last night for a bit and still my favorite saw.

I have a 6100 but would never sell it. In fact I have to fight from buying a second one just to leave in the box for if I ever wear mine out.

Yup, I picked up a used 6100 with the idea of flipping it and making a few bucks. Then I made the mistake of running it for a day, limbing and bucking as it was the only saw I had with me. Nice and smooth, sips fuel, never missed a beat, all-around great saw... and the same bar mount as most of my other saws.

OP, I'm sure that you already know the answer to your first post.

If manufacturers' specs can be believed the new Stihl 362 puts out the same hp as a 6100 and weighs 8/10 of a pound less. I have an older non M tronic 362 that runs well but nothing like my WWS 361. Ron

I'm a fan of the Stihl 036/360/361/362 series.
I found a low hours 034 Super that has a great sound. Look forward to putting it in some wood. I am a diehard Stihl loyalist, so that colors my perspective. The 361 has nice antivibe, is light, not too loud, and seems reliable enough. I have a 362 M coming, so we'll see how that one shakes out. 60 cc range would be my choice if I were forced to go with a one saw plan. The 044 is my favorite of all to use, but it is a bit large for me to swing around all day. The 30 saw plan allows for a great deal of choice in this matter...... :envy:

Not sure why anyone would need 30 saws. I cut for a living and have 4 saws. Mostly use 1.
I agree. I do most all my cutting with 2 saws. I have always had a big 90+cc saw but so seldom use it. But when I do boy do I smile big! I could heat 3 families with a good 40 cc saw.

Haven't updated my sig in a while but I'm up into the 30's.

It's hard to say goodbye to a good saw unless you need the cash or are upgrading to a better saw. And it never hurts to have spares. And spare spares.

For years I cut all my wood with one heavy saw. Could pare down now if I wanted but still would want at least three.

Latest posts

Back