Need a chip truck on a budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeFeller11

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello I am semi new here and need some advice. I am in need of a chip truck. Right now I am running an old '82 gmc 3500 death trap dump. Definitely not cutting it as far as brakes and power are concerned when pulling my Vermeer 1220 and a load. I just started in April so my budget is $10,000 or less. I'm a 20 year old with no credit established yet so I have to pay in full. I want something reliable that I know I'll make it back to the shop with that night, and something that's not going to nickle and dime me down the road. And preferably something 1995 and newer. I have been looking at some of the old Asplundh chipper trucks and I feel like they would be the best option as far as functionality goes. Has anybody else bought these? Any comments would be appreciated, thanks!

Old Asplundh trucks are pretty much junk. That is why Asplundh took them out of service.
They are junk because they were beat on in service or they are junk because of the setup they used? I just like the idea of having the whole package (high capacity chip body, storage everywhere, hauling capacity) in one package. I take it you feel the same way about the bucket chipper dump combos then, right?

Old Asplundh trucks are pretty much junk. That is why Asplundh took them out of service.
Like this truck on ebay in the link below, what makes these trucks go for so low at auction every week? Are they just garbage? Or does the inspection of the boom really cost that much? I know it's a 1989, but with 45,000 miles and a 50 ft platform height how can you beat that package for that price as a starter truck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F-700-...06e5bf&item=221526812095&pt=Commercial_Trucks

I'm no help in your location....

They go cheap because most people would rather finance a new unit rather than put 12k down on a ragged out 25 year old truck. I know you dont have a choice, thats where you benefit from cheap prices. Forestry equipment is a niche market.

Hopefully CalTreeEquipment chimes in here and can give you some real insight.

I'm no help in your location....

They go cheap because most people would rather finance a new unit rather than put 12k down on a ragged out 25 year old truck. I know you dont have a choice, thats where you benefit from cheap prices. Forestry equipment is a niche market.

Hopefully CalTreeEquipment chimes in here and can give you some real insight.
Yeah that would make sense if I had credit and the guaranteed work to keep a bucket busy. Thank you for the positive responses though!

You might want to go to an up fitter and see what a new hoist and dump bed costs installed. Then make the chip box out of wood when winter hits you can get a pretty decent cab chassis sub cdl for a good price. I don't know what a brand new dump flat bed cost though.

I put my best offer in on a '99 F-550 7.3 turbo diesel today on eBay and the seller accepted. I low balled a little and thought for sure he would counter though which makes me a little skeptical. It's from Florida and looks like it's rust free all around and underneath. Looks like at least a 10' bed and a crew cab for tools/storage with 173,000 miles. I just asked for a video of it starting/running. I'll post a link below. Tell me what you think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-FORD-F...2Fviw62mA74%2BdovuMiA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Like this truck on ebay in the link below, what makes these trucks go for so low at auction every week? Are they just garbage? Or does the inspection of the boom really cost that much? I know it's a 1989, but with 45,000 miles and a 50 ft platform height how can you beat that package for that price as a starter truck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F-700-...06e5bf&item=221526812095&pt=Commercial_Trucks
I just put $13,000 into boom work on a 2003 truck with a 2003 boom. Old 1989 gas ford with that old boom...looks like problems.

I put my best offer in on a '99 F-550 7.3 turbo diesel today on eBay and the seller accepted. I low balled a little and thought for sure he would counter though which makes me a little skeptical. It's from Florida and looks like it's rust free all around and underneath. Looks like at least a 10' bed and a crew cab for tools/storage with 173,000 miles. I just asked for a video of it starting/running. I'll post a link below. Tell me what you think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-FORD-F-550-DUMP-TRUCK-7-3L-POWERSTROKE-DIESEL-/281394161539?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=rfd349vzw%2Fviw62mA74%2BdovuMiA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

That will serve you well. Make a top for the box and you'll really be cooking! The 7.3 was a great engine, take good care of it and you'll get another 100k out of it. By then you'll have some credit built up.

Look up ways to build credit history safely, it's not just important for for your business but for your whole life. Unfortunately credit makes the world turn. This is a high cost business and most people just don't have the liquid capital to spend $40k on a chipper and $80k on a truck. At least your not in CA, we have built in obsolescence due to emissions standards. Buying used is almost out of the question here for anyone trying to run a legit operation.

I have a 2001 F550 with a 7.3 6 spd that is our only chip truck. I really like it and it has served me very well so far. Mine is single cab with a 12 ft dump on it. In a lot of ways I like it better than a big chip truck as I can get it in places you wouldn't want to put a larger truck. We do a lot of trim work and some removals. It could be a bit bigger if we did a bunch of large removals but then again so could my chipper at that point. I'd buy mine again in a heartbeat. I kept putting it off because I didn't want to finance anything. I should have bought it much earlier. It wouldn't bother me to have a crewcab or an extended cab though. Thankfully both of my employee's are kinda small guys so all three of us don't have any problem fitting in the cab.

turbo 7.3 you can plan on rebuilding the turbo( not the rest of the eng.) it right away particularly if it has been tuned higher than stock. Automatic or Stick?

I got the truck up here and besides a new fuel filter everything looks good and is running good. I am currently building a box and I'll post before and after pictures of it later on today. Thanks for all the help!

Turns out the truck was a crap show after taking it to a mechanic to thoroughly check it out. Anybody in the market for a wooden chip box for a 10ft bed in ohio?

Not sure. I might be stuck with it now since the seller won't back anything up or take it back now after he said he would.

I was scammed big time. Seller listed the truck as a good work truck in good working order, ready to work.

The dump won't dump under any load and won't go back down. (Wouldn't dump four wheel barrel loads of split firewood)
Needs a new water pump
Has an oil leak
Found out it's been wrecked since the seller posted the wrong VIN on eBay
Cab is rusted out and leaks through the top of the windshield when it rains
Power steering leak
Wiring from hell
Had clogged fuel and air filters

Back