Need advice on chain saw purchase...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hearnoevil

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I been reading for days and still don't know which one to buy other then it will be a husky.
I cut 90% soft wood with some birch. I had the 450 Rancher picked out but now leaning towards the 460 rancher.

Whats the difference in the 460 rancher and the xp models?? I have no plans on modding it. If an xp is a better saw for a few bucks more I will buy it.

I currently have a 440,its 5 years old at least and showing its age.. I broke the trigger on it .. i Broke the brake, pull cord..and now it has no spark. I also find that saw slow at times.

How big are the trees you're felling?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

best to show you this years wood pile...
ELtWfuq.jpg

Asuming you're not a pro. For a one saw plan, think about how long your bar must be (note that you can safely cut down a tree about 90% wider than your bar if you need to). To pull it well, you need about 1 hp for every 4 to 5 inches. You can fit far longer bars on a saw, it's just that the internal components like the oiler and drive train aren't designed to handle it. And then buy the lighest one that fits the bill. If you have two nice saws, you'll notice you grab the smallest one first. Personally I always try to buy a pro saw. Mostly because of the better safety features. And the power to weight ratio.

Ah, relatively small. I would say a nice 50cc would be best. Like the Dolmar 5105 or Husqvarna 550 xp/545. I've heard the stihl 241 is also good. All my stuff except for my now broken stihl 200t has a husky bar so I never try anything with a stihl bar.

18 inch bar would be the longest, might switch back to 16, which i have now.

As with anything in life, there is never a free lunch. The three legged stool of chainsaw purchases includes: price, horsepower, and weight. You could throw in build quality/reliability as a fourth leg if you want. But at most you can only have three of these things.

Here's my opinion of what is available. I think you would do best with a 50 cc saw but will throw in a few of the more powerful 40's as well.
Husky/Jonsered pro saws are light and powerful, are built well, but are near the top in price. 550/545 Husky, 2252/2253 Jonny
Husky/Jonny homeowner saws are light, fairly powerful, priced middle of the road. They are not built as well as a pro saw but are pretty good nonetheless. 450 Husky/2250 Jonny
Stihl Pro saws will normally be the most expensive, are built very well. The new 261 and 241 are quite light and powerful.
Stilh homeowner saws are pretty expensive for what you are getting, less powerful, and heavier than their pro counterparts. They don't do anything particularly well but probably put more wood on the ground than several other brands combined. Stihl 251
Echo saws are less expensive and usually a bit less powerful but are well built for what they cost and are fairly light. 490 is homeowner version, 501 is pro version
Makita (Dolmar) saws are going to be powerful and are priced in the middle of the pack. They are built like tanks and are usually somewhat heavier than their competitors. 421, 5105 They also are available as a knock off (Maryuma?? not sure on spelling)

had jonsered turbo.. bought brand new and gave out. never buying another.

always has stihl before switching to husky.... just not the same as my husky.. for price and power.
I don;t really need a 70 cc saw.. i don;t want another 40 cc saw.. so 50-60 cc i just don;t know what the difference is in the saws.

had jonsered turbo.. bought brand new and gave out. never buying another.

always has stihl before switching to husky.... just not the same as my husky.. for price and power.
I don;t really need a 70 cc saw.. i don;t want another 40 cc saw.. so 50-60 cc i just don;t know what the difference is in the saws.
that is a 64 cc saw,,that weighs like a 40,,and pulls like a 75..............

if your gonna be running the saw much why waste time on homeowner crap?

I got no idea what the difference is saws are. this month the 440 will run from day light till dark on Saturdays cutting wood for next year. I never owned or runned a pro saw before.

I got no idea what the difference is saws are. this month the 440 will run from day light till dark on Saturdays cutting wood for next year. I never owned or runned a pro saw before.
Trust me on this. You'll love it. Some mfgs make/market little else than "pro" equipment. Thinking specifically of Dolmar/Makita. Their prices are at the homeowner level. For your purposes, two Dolmars would make a great combo: 6100 (61 cc) w/20" and 410 (41 cc) w/16". Both are serious saws, and excellent values.
When I picked up my 6100 at a GTG 3 yrs ago, we had a little "competition" between it and my 455r Husqy. The brand-new Dolly literally left the well-broken-in Husqy in the dust. Waaaaay more powerful. Figure the same vs the 450/460. No knock on them but the Dolly is just much more powerful, and it seems you have lots of cutting to do. As a guess the 410 Dolly performs close to the 450, punches way above its weight. Both have excellent A/V, important for all the cutting you have lined up.

Oh yess, I totally forgot about that Maruyama. It's not availlable in europe. If I lived in the states, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Just search this site. It's a Dolmar/Makita 5105 with better customer support. I also like the Dolmar 6100 a bit more powerfull than a husqvarna 562 (according to the german testing facility I didn't notice a difference) but I don't think you need something that powerfull. With handeling power (and weight) comes fatigue.

if your gonna be running the saw much why waste time on homeowner crap?

I started with homeowner MS310 due to finances. Have upgraded to all pro Stihl (361, 441) still have the 310 (bought when it first came out) and use as a backup but it is pretty clapped out. Also have the MS193T as my limbing saw but why does that little bitty motor crank so blasted hard??

Might take a look at the echo CS-490 or the CS -501P the 490 list at 349.00 USD the 501p has jumped up in price over the past month or so to 498.00 USD. I have seen the 490 on eBay for a little under 300 shipped. Bang for the buck it's hard to beat these 2 in the 50cc category imo.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back