Need advice on Husqvarna 254 top end repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wandrew640

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My father was about to pitch a Husqvarna 254 because a salesman told him it wasn't worth it. I found straight gas in the tank (a classic little brother move), and assumed the worst for the piston, ring, and cylinder. Now that I've opened it up though it really doesn't look too bad. I'm doing the piston and the ring just to be safe but the cylinder really doesn't look too bad to me, and I was hoping to keep the oem cylinder. Any advice would be appreciated I'll try to include pictures.14937364223031012816965.jpg 1493736510461-1320551725.jpg 1493736549885-503678809.jpg 14937365869481913282239.jpg

Welcome to AS Andrew.
Not sure how I can help, it looks as though you have things ynder control.
The main thing when putting one back together when it has been scored is to find out what the problem was that caused it so it doesn't happen again. If the saw was straight gassed then what you have planned to do should be fine.
Be sure to check all the fuel lines as well as the filter and replace as needed. Many just replace them as a preventive measure while the saw is down.
254s are fun little saws, I'm sure you will enjoy it when you get it finished.
Don't forget to post pictures of it when it's done :).
Brett

That's reassuring, I haven't worked on many saws, mostly carb work. So this will be a first for me. This is it's current state haha14939093403001012816965.jpg

Looks like an earlier edition, nice saws.
Next time blow the saw off a bit better before pulling the cylinder to keep the possibility of contaminants from getting into the bottom end at a minimum(you probably already realized that would have been a good idea once you pulled the cylinder :)).

Yeah...I was wiping it down as I went and realized I should've plugged the compressor in. The new piston and rings will be here Saturday so I'm just keeping it covered for now.

I was so excited when my piston arrived I put it all back together without taking a single picture, sorry. However, the saw starts and runs now, I cut one log and had to run to work. Very excited that it works though. And I have a Craftsman that I need to fix that one I'll take all sorts of pictures of it haha

I was so excited when my piston arrived I put it all back together without taking a single picture, sorry. However, the saw starts and runs now, I cut one log and had to run to work. Very excited that it works though. And I have a Craftsman that I need to fix that one I'll take all sorts of pictures of it haha
I've seen them apart before, rather see them together lol.
Congrats getting it running, makes you feel good to take one that isn't running and to bring it back to life :).
This is a 262xp with a new meteor piston, they look similar, besides it got a 254 base gasket :D.20161107_230452.jpg

The one I got said it was made in Italy but I don't think they gave a brand and it didn't come in the green box but it was a little cheaper. I can't believe he was going to put it out with the trash! I also just realized that a family friend of mine has a shed of dead saws. I'm half tempted to see what's in there now...

The one I got said it was made in Italy but I don't think they gave a brand and it didn't come in the green box but it was a little cheaper. I can't believe he was going to put it out with the trash! I also just realized that a family friend of mine has a shed of dead saws. I'm half tempted to see what's in there now...
Little slow on my response lol.
Anyway I'm not sure what you mean by "half tempted to see what's in there now", I would have been there right away.
Hope you headed right over as well and found a few more fun saws.
Did you get to run the 254 much yet.

Back