Need assistance from the experts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thechief

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, new to this site so bear with me. I fell and cut firewood on weekends to heat mine and my fathers houses. Its about 20 facecord per season. I currently have an old John Deere 55V and am thinking about getting a new(er) saw. The wood I cut ranges in diameter from 6"-24" with the majority being around 12"-18". Can you fine folks give me some opinions on Husky's vs Stihl. I've been looking at the Stihl MS 361 and the MS 260 Pro, and the Husky 357XP. Pros, cons of each? The 361 looks like a nice saw with the extra 10cc compared to my John Deere. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Jason

I... don't think you can go wrong with any of those. The 260 is a little small for 20 inch hardwood in my opinion, but its a stihl... it'll work!

I went from a 55V to a 361 and couldn't be happier with my new saw!

The only thing I know about the Husky's is that I didn't like the way they felt in my hands...

Thanks guys. There is a Stihl 044 for sale in my area with 145 psi and hes asking $450.00. Is this a good deal or is it a little too much saw for my applications? Thanks again.

Does anyone know if a 044 Stihl for $450 with 145 psi compression is a good deal or just normal for this type of saw? Is the 361 a better saw than the 044? Thanks again.

Jason

I may not be an expert but I do own and operate at least 4 of the 044/MS440chainsaws and cut a couple hundred hours per year. The 044 is a legend in the chainsaw world and demands 450-500 for a good running saw in good condition. The compression is good at 145 and if the physical condition looks good then 450 would be about as far as I would go for one but even 500 is not unheard of. If you feel you want one of the best chainsaws that Stihl ever made then yes go for it. IMO.
Pioneerguy600

$450 for an 044 is a little steep... 044's around here go for around $300... and that is with better compression than 145psi.

Get either the 357XP or the MS361... you can't go wrong with either one...

Gary

$450 for an 044 is a little steep... 044's around here go for around $300... and that is with better compression than 145psi.

Get either the 357XP or the MS361... you can't go wrong with either one...

Gary

AHHHH, Gary, we are talking Canadian dollars at around 77 cents US. to our dollar. I like to see 150-165 on my saws.
Pioneerguy600

Back