Need help for correct grinder angles for stihl chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, I have never used the USG grinder, and don't fully understand it, so I am not how or if the angles correspond to an Oregon type grinder. It is also confusing when one set of specs appears to suggest a 90 degree (or 0 degree) file tilt angle and another suggests tilting the chain holding vise when grinding the same type of chain.

Some of these may be specific to the tool used. For example, Oregon suggests tilting the vise when grinding most full chisel chains, but states that their filing guide should always be held level (0 degrees).

Attached are links to the USG manual and chart if anyone else wants to take a look. There are also some different wheel profiles

Philbert

http://www.stihlusa.com/stihl_ownersmanuals/USG_Manual.pdf

http://www.stihlusa.com/stihl_ownersmanuals/USG_sawchainangles_chart.pdf

What do you mean? If you mean tilt, the usg does not tilt.

I am making the assumption that the tilt is replicated by sliding the vise table away from the high point of the wheel arc causing one side of the tooth to be ground deeper than the other. No one has told be this, so I may be wrong. I am relying on all you AS experts to set me straight on my assumption. The Stihl grinders and the Maxx grinder use sliding tables of the ones I know.

I believe it has more to do with the even taking back of the cutters when switching from left to right grinding, especially when the wheel is new,
but I luckily haven't been stuck using the Stihl grinders enough to explore it further.

But in general, the tilt motion on files and my Efco/Oregon grinders are for the full chisel, and the picco chains are not full chisel.

161868d1292277317-file%2520angles2-jpg

Last edited:
I run the stihl rsc 3/8 chain (yellow box) I sharpen them with the bright green cheapo grinders at 30/60/0 and they cut great
the charts and graphs confused me and i just took a new chain and set with that
that is what works the best for me!

I run the stihl rsc 3/8 chain (yellow box) I sharpen them with the bright green cheapo grinders at 30/60/0 and they cut great
the charts and graphs confused me and i just took a new chain and set with that
that is what works the best for me!

I agree. I don't think there are too many Stihl dealers that use the HSG grinder and follow these angles with all the precision shown in the charts. The subtle differance it makes is probably not worth all the extra effort.

• Stihl grinder guide says 30 side / vice angle, 85 grinding wheel tilt, 0 degrees titlt or 90 degrees straight up vertical

• For RM Rapid Micro, semi chisel “?” shape yellow label chains

• Chain biox literature says 30/ 75 / 0

• Smart forum guys says - a chain will cut at both 60° and 85°. This angle lMO is the most overlooked in chain filing/grinding. This angle is what makes a chain smooth/grabby in wood and is responsible for pulling the chain into wood. Many think depth gauge is solely responsible for a self feeding chain but that is only part of the reason. At 85° the cutting edge will endure hardwood longer and smoother however many US species probably do not require the added strength of an 85° edge. You need to find what works best in the wood your cutting. l use 75° in wood that sinks in water and that does well. At 60° things are not as smooth and harder on drive sprockets/chains. But l wood imagine 60° would work well in softer species and perform better.

• My guess is that 75 is best for Mo hardwoods, so I will try that, plus I will make sure my rakers are correct depth... good fun

Screen shot 2018-08-17 at 9.21.33 PM.png
Lots of angles. In these STIHL images, the 'Filing Angle' would typically be 30°, and the 'Side Plate Angle' would be 60°. These are the angles set on a typical Oregon / Tecomec type grinder. The 'Top Plate Cutting Angle' is a resultant angle (not even sure how to measure that one).

Philbert

View attachment 669431
Lots of angles. In these STIHL images, the 'Filing Angle' would typically be 30°, and the 'Side Plate Angle' would be 60°. These are the angles set on a typical Oregon / Tecomec type grinder. The 'Top Plate Cutting Angle' is a resultant angle (not even sure how to measure that one).

Philbert

Philbert,

Straighten me out on the tilt business as both my Tecomec grinder and my FG2 have a tilt feature. Is the side plate side on the downhill or the uphill of the tilt? Thanks, Ron

It's called a 'down angle' because you drop the handle of the file 'down' (typically 10 degrees), even as you are filing 'up' (outside of the cutter towards the corner).

Keeping this in mind helps me picture what I am trying to achieve.

On the Tecomec grinder this means you tilt the tops of the Left hand cutters TOWARDS the grinder, and tilt the tops of the Right hand cutters AWAY from the grinder.

Oregon says to remember 'Right Away!'

These grinders have a spring detent at 10 degrees.

Philbert

The best way to understand the effect of using the 'tilt' feature on the grinder vice is to use it and observe the changes in angle geometry. On the same chain grind normally on a 0° flat vice for a number of cutters then switch to 10° tilt. Say do 4 of each then remove the chain hold it up to the eye with the sun/light source behind you and observe the changes. You will notice the top plate angle will change a few degrees, the inner top plate will have a taper in it, the side plate hook will change along with the angle of its edge. Your eyes are your best chain tool....you gotta use em.

Glad I asked as I would have guessed the opposite. Thought it funny that the FG2 has the tilt feature but the manual makes no reference to it.

I am trying to set up an old File-n-Joint to square file. What angles should I use? Once again Stihl’s instructions are lacking; this time with the flyer that comes with the chains.

Ron

Start with a chain that you like. Mount it in the grinder / file guide / whatever. Then adjust the setting to copy those angles.

Philbert

Easier said than done at least for me. Read an old thread tonight where Madhatte said that though the File-in-Joint would work it is a quite something else to do the right side cutters and it would be just as easy to learn to hand file - so I tried my hand at it tonight on a dull square Stihl .404 with a Stihl 6 side rod type file. Felt natural and thought I could get the hang of it until I started on the left cutters. Anything but natural. Will try it again this week. I guess one could set the guide to do left and do right by hand; but that one wouldn’t be me.

Ron

Hi I am looking for the correct angles for sharpening stihl chains with oregon grinder. When I look at the stihl website and find the chart for their usg grinder I see that they are using a 40 degree head angle. I usually use a 60 degree head angle for most chains. I also see they are using a - + of 15 degrees for the table I would assume that I just use the tilt feature for that no problem I was wondering what others are using for the head angle? thanks
40° is correct they are using 10° top plate slope and 30° bevel on leading edge. Oregon say 60° vertical making is 90° we move to 60° marking means we only tilted 30° hope you understand

All Tecomec/Jolly/Oregon grinders indicate the side-plate angle from the "horizon", exactly as one would use a protractor on a piece of paper (see the images in Philbert's post from the 18th). So 60 deg is 60 deg. Although I am German, and a huge Stihl fan, I despise their "backward" system, where they measure the angle from the 90 deg position, "back" toward the horizontal. Either way, the respective angles are always compelemtary, i.e. Oregon/Stihl will be 20/70; 30/60; 40;50; 45/55; 60/30; 80/10. They are just using a different reference angle.

The weird thing is that, although the USG reads "backwards", Stihl quotes all angles on their chains in the conventional, or "forward" manner. On top of this, they quote on their manual that the setting on the USG must be 40 degrees for all chains, despite specifying different angles for all their chains! How can one achive different angles using the same setting? Most confusing!

See previous thread here: https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...angles-question-for-those-running-one.358191/

Anyway, to confirm what most guys here are saying: 60/30/0 or 60/30/10 will give you the most usable, repeatable chains. On the USG you'll be at 30/30/0 or 30/30/10. No need to reinvent the wheel here!

P.S. I'm not putting the USG down. It's a much higher quality unit than all the others. Just a bit "backward". At the end of the day, once it's set up and you have your angles, there's not much to it.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back