Need help from the experienced pros on the forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M Benton

Reaction score
Hi, I started a tree service business in August and have had several disasters so we really haven't been up and running until the end of December. After being undermined by crappy help I'm ready to bid on jobs. I have sent replies asking the customer for more information or to come to their home for a free estimate and never get a request to do anything. The few quotes I actually gave a price on never resulted in anything either. I really need advise and tutoring on how to quote jobs. I would appreciate any and all help. I'm sinking fast. :(

Be totally confident in your service and be positive. People want to deal with upbeat people who like their job. Show you care about the work you do and accept a lot of failure early on. Its part of the business. The first year is the hardest. Once you are through that you are going to start being a lot more stable.

Its a tough time of year to get started, so don't get discouraged.

I don't understand when you say, "sent replies asking the customer for more information or to come to their home for a free estimate and never get a request to do anything". Usually, when someone calls for a quote, you go to their home to give review the work and give a quote.

Are you getting leads from some lead service?

There is lots of information on here about quoting jobs, either in the business management forum or the commercial forum. You can do a search. But essentially, you need to determine the man hour rate you need to charge (whether it's to break even, make a profit, or make a loss as a start up), then when you're on site, determine how long the job will take. A x B = C. Don't get into the underbid game, it's a fast route to bancruptcy.

If you're not getting calls, you may want to consider flyering some neighbourhoods. There will always be the debate about cold calling. I'm not a proponent, I've done it and found that flyering got better results.

Go start talking to landscaping companies, see if they will refer some of their tree work to you. Talk to the municipalities and see what it takes to get on their referral list. As a start up, you probably don't have what it takes to do work for the HOA's, golf courses etc unless you have a contact who can get you in. Don't waste your time there.

Go talk to the local retail nurseries, see if you can leave some cards, they always have people asking for referrals.

Good luck

do small jobs first. make sure there done right. small work is better than no work.

Like Tenderfoot said, it does take some time to get it moving. My Grandpa told me there is a 5 year starvation period in a new business. I started climbing while we were still logging and it took a couple years to get semi steady work. Then I slowly started to transfer over to full time tree service. I did take about 5 years but I done it slow. I don't like to stick my neck out so I always tried to have a backup plan. We did resort to doing a few logging jobs the first few years.

I done several free jobs at first. For friends and smaller jobs that were in a location for great advertising. Like the middle of town. It was either that or sit at home. And they always produced more jobs. I considered it advertising cost. You don't want the reputation of cheap bids, but a couple of donated or charity jobs don't hurt. I don't use facebook. But that seems to be a good way to advertise. And it's free. The first advertising I did was getting a sticker for the back window of my pickup. It had my company name and number. And a tree designed into the lettering. Something catchy. I like to go to the grocery store or wal mart around 5 pm when they're the busiest. And park in a good spot where everyone coming out has to see it. I'm big on free advertising. I don't spend money for tv, radio or papers. Word of mouth and people driving by the jobsite are responsible for 90 percent of my business.

Now the hard part, employees. I worked by myself for a while. It's very hard to find good reliable help. I don't even try anymore. I've had the same person for 15 years. We're a 2 man crew right now. We can do as much as 3 or 4 man crews that haven't worked together long and aren't efficient. Buy equipment when you can. It will always be there and doesn't show up drunk and don't gripe about working in the rain. And it doesn't take your gear to the pawn shops on Saturday. Percentage of jobs missed at first are higher. Once you get established and hone your bidding skills it will go up. Don't bad mouth the competition but tell the customer why they should go with you. Don't just hand them an estimate and walk off. I still do some free (minor) work if I'm slow. Maybe a little pole saw work for the neighbor of a client if they ask for an estimate. Obviously you can't do big jobs for free but if it's just a few minutes of work and you're there anyway, it sure makes the elderly feel good. And they tell their friends at church and the senior center.

It will be slow at first. There's no way around that. But it will slowly and steadily pick up. Assuming you do quality work at a fair price. Always do exactly what you say. Leave their yard cleaner than when you arrived. You can't hardly catch a fish without bait. Tell all your family and friends about your business . A shirt with your business name on the back works great. You don't have to buy 50. Just get 4 or 5. Wear it everywhere . And stand in the longest lines at the store. Leave business cards in the local saw shop, farm store, parts store. Anywhere they will let you. I've never been told no to leaving cards somewhere.

Most people don't know good tree work from bad. They do notice the couple divots in their yard and the few twigs you left behind. Careful work and great clean up is how you get called back. Getting called the first time just takes a while.

Hi, I started a tree service business in August and have had several disasters so we really haven't been up and running until the end of December. After being undermined by crappy help I'm ready to bid on jobs. I have sent replies asking the customer for more information or to come to their home for a free estimate and never get a request to do anything. The few quotes I actually gave a price on never resulted in anything either. I really need advise and tutoring on how to quote jobs. I would appreciate any and all help. I'm sinking fast. :(
Don't be discouraged. Try to sell other services too like plumbing, wiring, drywall and minor surgeries. Don't know how to do those things? Don't sweat it. Sell the work first then learn on the job! There is always online consulting like i do. That will be ten bucks please.

All good advice from previous posters. I have been in the tree stump grinding business for eight years. A few things I would like to add. Never, ever show up late to a customers house, ever. If you are on time ... you are late. Be a little early so your customer does not get anxious. Always show up clean. Stump grinding and tree work can be a dirty business. I always have clean shirts in the back of my truck in case I have to go to another job if I am dirty or sweaty. If you underbid a job, and you will, never tell your customer. That was your doing and not theirs. Once you have given a quote, never go back and try to get more out of your customer unless he has changed the dynamics of the job. Give a good price for your customer and a good price for you. That does not mean you are the cheapest guy in town. Give a fair price when you quote and don't let the homeowner dictate your business or prices. A small change in price would be okay as long as you are still making money on the job. Always let the customer know exactly how his property will be left when you leave. I did a job today for a tree man who took down a tree. The homeowner assumed he would grind the stump too. The tree cutter didn't get paid until the stump was ground. Try to keep your truck clean. A lot of your customers will be older people so if you have piercings or a ton of tattoos, I would cover them as best as you can. Never argue with a customer. Just thank them for the opportunity to bid and leave. I had a very wealthy, young customer who told me how much he would pay me to do a large stump grinding job. I agreed on the price. He thought I would be there for two days or more. I told him I would be on the job for less than four hours. He exploded on me and berated me all the way back to my truck about how I was ripping him off. I thanked him and left. Had I given him a good cussing, he would have gone directly to Angies List, Google, Yelp, etc. and given me bad reviews. So, I ate his crap and left. If you don't have an internet presence, you must. At least keep your business posted on Craigslist every day. Good pictures and a good, well written, ad will get you business. Good luck to you.

You need to decide what segment of the market your after. Iike any service there are budget people, commercial high volume people, skilled , artisic, etc. get my drift. These are all markets with in the market.
I know cut and go guys that advertise expert tree topping and have tons of work. I know high end guys you'll trim your tree with hand pruners, taking two days a tree and charging a lot of money.
Where are you going to fit in?
Finding your market is important.

Like Tenderfoot said, it does take some time to get it moving. My Grandpa told me there is a 5 year starvation period in a new business. I started climbing while we were still logging and it took a couple years to get semi steady work. Then I slowly started to transfer over to full time tree service. I did take about 5 years but I done it slow. I don't like to stick my neck out so I always tried to have a backup plan. We did resort to doing a few logging jobs the first few years.

I done several free jobs at first. For friends and smaller jobs that were in a location for great advertising. Like the middle of town. It was either that or sit at home. And they always produced more jobs. I considered it advertising cost. You don't want the reputation of cheap bids, but a couple of donated or charity jobs don't hurt. I don't use facebook. But that seems to be a good way to advertise. And it's free. The first advertising I did was getting a sticker for the back window of my pickup. It had my company name and number. And a tree designed into the lettering. Something catchy. I like to go to the grocery store or wal mart around 5 pm when they're the busiest. And park in a good spot where everyone coming out has to see it. I'm big on free advertising. I don't spend money for tv, radio or papers. Word of mouth and people driving by the jobsite are responsible for 90 percent of my business.

Now the hard part, employees. I worked by myself for a while. It's very hard to find good reliable help. I don't even try anymore. I've had the same person for 15 years. We're a 2 man crew right now. We can do as much as 3 or 4 man crews that haven't worked together long and aren't efficient. Buy equipment when you can. It will always be there and doesn't show up drunk and don't gripe about working in the rain. And it doesn't take your gear to the pawn shops on Saturday. Percentage of jobs missed at first are higher. Once you get established and hone your bidding skills it will go up. Don't bad mouth the competition but tell the customer why they should go with you. Don't just hand them an estimate and walk off. I still do some free (minor) work if I'm slow. Maybe a little pole saw work for the neighbor of a client if they ask for an estimate. Obviously you can't do big jobs for free but if it's just a few minutes of work and you're there anyway, it sure makes the elderly feel good. And they tell their friends at church and the senior center.

It will be slow at first. There's no way around that. But it will slowly and steadily pick up. Assuming you do quality work at a fair price. Always do exactly what you say. Leave their yard cleaner than when you arrived. You can't hardly catch a fish without bait. Tell all your family and friends about your business . A shirt with your business name on the back works great. You don't have to buy 50. Just get 4 or 5. Wear it everywhere . And stand in the longest lines at the store. Leave business cards in the local saw shop, farm store, parts store. Anywhere they will let you. I've never been told no to leaving cards somewhere.
Hey ben :p Hows things going ? Been pickin n grinnin lately ?

Hey. Sure did. Just pulled in from Nashville. Been there since Thursday for SPBGMA. Playing banjo in one group and upright bass in another. How's things going up your way?

Back