Need help picking first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjm240

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first post. I know there are tons of these threads on here but each one helps us new guys better understand the saws. Many of them seem a bit old as well. I have been lurking AS and other random sites for about a month trying to gather information for my first saw purchase. I have never owned a saw but I have been using them for years. My dad has 3 of them and I have always borrowed when I needed one but it is time to have my own. (I always get to borrow the oldest one which always needs some work before I can get to work) Most of my experience is cutting firewood ash and birch.

My needs are: I live on 2.5 acres with sever dying 30-40’ tall scotch pines. I cut one up this year with a borrow saw and its trunk was probably 20” Thankfully no others in my yard are that large. I anticipating felling these dead trees to be most of the felling in the next couple of years. Of course I will need to limb these trees. I also have plenty of 2-4’ growth that needs to be cleaned up. I will also use the saw to keep open several miles of ATV trails that will have occasional blow downs and growth. And 1-2 days a year I will help my dad in his wood pile. In total I estimate engine run time to be 10 hours a year.

I’d like to spend ~$200 but for the right deal I could go up to ~$300. For my needs I don’t see a reason to spend more than that. I am looking at the 40CC range because that seems to be the best $ for my needs. My dad’s main saw is a bone stock never even tuned MS250. It is rated at 3 HP but I have been less than impressed with its performance so I wanted to try something else. That being said it makes me a little nervous to be looking at saws in the 2.4HP range when the MS250 seems weak at 3HP. It could be just a bad tune.

I have been cruising the classifieds here and CL and have not seen much that fits my needs. A few MS250s but they seem to be nearly full priced from new.

There is a reman Husqvarna 440 for $220 at Northern tool. There is also a $50 off $250 deal so I could get the saw and a hard case for about $200. 90 day warranty. This is where I am leaning.

The echo dealer has a value pack with the saw a case a bit of oil and the 5 year warranty for $300.

What do you guys thing? Should I be more patient and keep cruising the classifieds? Or pull the trigger on the Northern tool reman? Sale ends tomorrow.

This is my first post. I know there are tons of these threads on here but each one helps us new guys better understand the saws. Many of them seem a bit old as well. I have been lurking AS and other random sites for about a month trying to gather information for my first saw purchase. I have never owned a saw but I have been using them for years. My dad has 3 of them and I have always borrowed when I needed one but it is time to have my own. (I always get to borrow the oldest one which always needs some work before I can get to work) Most of my experience is cutting firewood ash and birch.

My needs are: I live on 2.5 acres with sever dying 30-40’ tall scotch pines. I cut one up this year with a borrow saw and its trunk was probably 20” Thankfully no others in my yard are that large. I anticipating felling these dead trees to be most of the felling in the next couple of years. Of course I will need to limb these trees. I also have plenty of 2-4’ growth that needs to be cleaned up. I will also use the saw to keep open several miles of ATV trails that will have occasional blow downs and growth. And 1-2 days a year I will help my dad in his wood pile. In total I estimate engine run time to be 10 hours a year.

I’d like to spend ~$200 but for the right deal I could go up to ~$300. For my needs I don’t see a reason to spend more than that. I am looking at the 40CC range because that seems to be the best $ for my needs. My dad’s main saw is a bone stock never even tuned MS250. It is rated at 3 HP but I have been less than impressed with its performance so I wanted to try something else. That being said it makes me a little nervous to be looking at saws in the 2.4HP range when the MS250 seems weak at 3HP. It could be just a bad tune.

I have been cruising the classifieds here and CL and have not seen much that fits my needs. A few MS250s but they seem to be nearly full priced from new.

There is a reman Husqvarna 440 for $220 at Northern tool. There is also a $50 off $250 deal so I could get the saw and a hard case for about $200. 90 day warranty. This is where I am leaning.

The echo dealer has a value pack with the saw a case a bit of oil and the 5 year warranty for $300.

What do you guys thing? Should I be more patient and keep cruising the classifieds? Or pull the trigger on the Northern tool reman? Sale ends tomorrow.
ck out the chainsaw forum on AS they have some pretty sharp guys and gals on there who live ,eat and know saws they could help you with this question i'm sure

Hey neely,
I thought I posted this in the chainsaw forum. If I didn't an admin must have moved it for me as it appears to be in there now. Thanks

This post is in the chainsaw forum. Welcome!

For your application I would agree with a saw in the 40cc range however, cutting a 20" diameter tree with that small of a saw can get you into trouble if you lack the proper technique. That's not to say that you are any safer with a larger saw and poor technique either, just that a smaller saw (bar) does create some more challenges. A good recommendation for a Husqvarna is the 346xp. That's the only 40cc saw I ever hear anyone talk about from Husqvarna. I'm not sure what other saws from Stihl, Dolmar or Echo are in that class but I'm sure others will chime in. Welcome.

The Echo Cs400 is on the list of potentials. I missed naming the model on my original post. That is the saw the dealer has available for $3oo with the value pack which includes a collectors edition Echo hat. That is hard to pass up.

I have been cruising CL and the classifieds here for a 346XP as everyone seems to love them. I haven't seen any locally or many on the classified here. Ebay doesn't have many either.

Is it worth the extra $100 to get the dolmar vs the Husky 440 from my original post?

The 026 is intriguing from the trading post but hard to tell from photos as to condition. I will have to request the seller to put some more photos of it. Also, any worries about service parts being available on this for a long time. I don't intent to every wear this saw out. Adding a B/C will put me over the $300 mark but will get me more power. I have a stilh FS45 sting timmer I used commercially for 5 years and it has over 150 years worth of home owner use on it. Never changed a part but plug, trimmer head and fuel lines.

346xp in trading post is $300+ + shipping + Bar and chain. Not in my <$300 criteria.

I have been cruising CL and the classifieds here for a 346XP as everyone seems to love them. I haven't seen any locally or many on the classified here. Ebay doesn't have many either.
There are one or two 346s' almost weekly in the trading post. Rarely under $300, but worth it! I got one for $200 here a year ago.

actually a 350 or 353 would be good choices too.less power than the 346.
actually if you can find a ms270 or 280 they are decent cheap saws.easily found because nobody wants them.stiffin up the antivibe so you dont rip the intake boot and keep a spare coil.would actually own a 270 or 280 before any of the older clam shells or the new home owner strato's

I know that when you start a thread like this it is a requirement that you post photos and give updates as to progress.

Update* I called my dad to get his input and to see if any of his buddies that had gotten new saws lately and were looking to get rid of their old on, because it had a dirty carb. He told me that he is working a deal but he was at a wedding and couldn’t talk. That is what I know.

Back