Need help to identify some firewood I got for free.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the midwest our red oak looks a bit different, what do you think it is ? I think it looks allot like black walnut, but like I said I am no expert that is why I ask friends that log these questions!

My first thought was walnut, but it didn't look dark enough. After you posted that black locust it looks very close.

here's some black locust that was cut monday.
View attachment 415396 View attachment 415397
It doesn't seem to have those deep furrows like the pics of locust you have. These wood I'd threads are tough with just one pic of the op ' s wood. I'll be more specific and say pin oak of the red oak family. It's always just a guess from looking at one picture though.

Kentuckey coffee bean tree.

Been yrs since I have even seen a Kentucky Coffee, certainly a possibility. I can drive down the road and id a tree from 1/2 mile by characteristics but much harder to do from one pic. I am willing to say it is not walnut or red oak but all the others mentioned I can see characteristics of and a couple of those sections remind me of chinquapin oak. Closeup of the end grain and of a split piece would be a big help

its possible, you have 2 different types of wood there. the orange-ish wood in the lower left hand corner, and one single piece in the upper right hand corner is mulberry. the other stuff could be mulberry if it was cut a few weeks earlier. otherwise its definitely NOT or red oak. red oak has an almost smooth bark and the furrows are not deep at all.
here is a few pics, left to right, black locust, mulberry, hedge

DSCN0540_zps49d1a940.jpg

this is the other end of the same pieces, this end is seasoned for a year.

DSCN0536_zps3a0e24ad.jpg

Nice load of walnut you got there ! It's good firewood

Latest posts

Back