Need help to identify some firewood I got for free.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say Siberian elm. Fair firewood... depending on who you ask. It is very heavy when wet.

I am not sure, but I still think it could be Siberian. Here is a picture of some from my place and it matches pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_4507.JPG
    IMG_4507.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 17
...still think it could be Siberian. Here is a picture of some from my place and it matches pretty good.

But... look again...
The OP's picture ain't showing the thick bark... like your picture.
The OP's picture ain't showing the wider growth rings... like your picture.
The OP's picture ain't showing the dark(er) center that gradually lightens as it extends out... like your picture.

The OP's picture shows thin(ish) bark with flattened tops on the ridges, evenly spaced and tight(er) growth rings, and a uniform color (darkness, or shade) from center to sap wood. I'm still leanin' heavy on Slippery (Red) Elm... leanin' heavy.

I'm not sure what it is. What really throws me is the bark on the lower right rounds is so much different than the top left. Yet by the end grain definitely the same tree.

2015-03-3010.04.26.jpg 2015-03-3010.04.39.jpg 2015-03-3010.05.14.jpg 1st pic is mullberry.all from the same limb. the darker ones were cut about a month ago. the yellow looking cut today.2nd pic is bark. and 3rd is the tree they all came from. note how the bark is rougher on the trunk than the bark on the limb wood

You got me.
But it doesn't look like Red Oak.
Could be Walnut, has similar bark and colour of Walnut.
I know this may sound weird, but sometimes I can tell by the cut smell.
Red Oak has distinct odour as does Maple, Cherry, Walnut...etc.
Smell it.....LOL

It'll really help when they come out with the new scratch&sniff phone and computer screens.

Latest posts

Back