Need help with 394 decision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkwrencher

Junkwrencher AKA 2Bears AKA Missedshot
Reaction score
The patient is a 2000 model 394xp with very low hours. The saw was pinched flywheel to clutch on the crank, the result is a bad crank, or should I say ruined.The connecting rod bearing is bad, the crank still spins free in the case. Should I replace the entire bottom end with a loner crankcase and all or just replace the crankshaft and bearings? It was quite a load. The entire top end is new, not like new, new..I thought about parting out the saw, but my next biggest is an 044 Stihl and I need to pull a 28''+ quickly. I just missed a whole bottom end on E-bay and haven't seen one in the past few days.I've got a good crank inside another smashed case and thought about swapping them out along with a set of new bearings.Thanks for the help....

If you get a shop manual and have time and patience. I would tear it down and install the spare crank new bearings and new gaskets and seals. The result would be having an almost new saw. I think it is also important to know how to work on your saw and what tools to have on hand. If you want it back running quickly buy a good used bottom end.

I have found Most husky's come right apart.But if you need a splitter you could just build one that bolts to the bar mounts and threads down onto the crank.

Guys, I've not in 3 394's seen one that comes right apart, or goes right back together. Hold your sides!!!And don't drink anything while you're reading this.We use a torch and a device that looks like a beefy "C" clamp which aligns with the grease hole on the clutch side and pulls from inside the case, the bearings are put in the freezer the night before installation and in extreme cases liquid nitrogen and dry ice have been used. If you know me or have read any of my posts you know I have "problems" not common to some and do things the "wrong" way..Thanks for the help..

Back