Need help with carburetor on Craftsman 3.7(Poulan 3800)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtc16

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a Craftsman 3.7 61cc from the 80's and I need help adjusting the carburetor. I had it cutting strong yesterday but not idling. While messing with the idle screw I lost track of where I was at and now it won't start. I've hear to set the H and L screws to original setting I should turn them all the way in and then 1 full turn out. I have no idea what to do for the idle screw, though. Any information would help. Thanks.

I have a Craftsman 3.7 61cc from the 80's and I need help adjusting the carburetor. I had it cutting strong yesterday but not idling. While messing with the idle screw I lost track of where I was at and now it won't start. I've hear to set the H and L screws to original setting I should turn them all the way in and then 1 full turn out. I have no idea what to do for the idle screw, though. Any information would help. Thanks.
Turn the High and Low adjustments clockwise until they stop (snug do not over tighten). Then turn them counter clockwise 1 full turn. Try starting your saw. Once started run for 3 seconds at full throttle until engine is warm. Return to idle speed. Decrease idle speed if to fast and if to slow increase idle speed. Then turn you low speed mixture screw clockwise until engine speed increases and then starts to decrease. Then turn counter clockwise until engine speed starts to decrease again. Then set between the two points. Squeeze the throttle trigger quickly. If the engine dies or hesitates turn the low mixture screen 1/16 counter clockwise. Repeat until the engine does not hesitate.

With the high speed mixture screw make a test cut and if it doesn't have full power idle saw and turn clockwise 1/16 turn and retest and repeat procedure until engine runs smoothly with power. Do not set the high speed mixture screw less than 7/8 turn open.

After adjusting you may need to reset idle speed.

Info taken from Poulan operators manual. Hope this works for you.

Info taken from Poulan operators manual. Hope this works for you.

Thanks, that seems like a really clear description. Will have to give it a try. I've had this saw running and cutting but never seemed perfect yet.

Latest posts

Back