Need milling advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am a homeowner with a few acres of treed land and I have some trees to fell because they are too close to the house for my peace of mind.
Two are Red Oaks and not too too big. Maybe 18"-24" diameter four feet up the base. I'd likle to mill them and thinking of a CSM mill to do it myself.
What are your thoughts on this? Think it's be cheaper to get someone with a portable BSM instead?

Chainsaw milling is a labor of love. For the beginner it's usually a lot harder than they expect. You have to get one end up in the air a bit to get gravity to help. Sharp chain, sharp chain, sharp chain. I just bought a new Stihl 660 with 2 bars, 25" and 36" and dropped $1200. The dealer threw in a couple extra chains, 6 quarts of Stihl mixing oil, and a gallon of bar oil. You could get a lot of log milled up for that money. Plus a good sawyer can turn and quarter saw your log for the best quality boards. As a new CSMiller you will probably cut some nice thick slabs, which is fine, that's pretty much all I cut. I love my mill and really enjoy playing with big saws. But, I had two 100 CC saws left from my Dad's business to get started with. It's not real easy and you can't compete with Home Depot. If you like making things with slabs, it's great. You can turn and quarter saw, but that's hard work. Good luck with you Oaks, they make pretty lumber, Joe.

depends on you plans after really.

if you want a mill for future use like when a neighbors black walnut comes down or something then get the mill now and have it on hand. If you're really not interested in future milling but just dont want the trees to go to waste then hire somebody and save you back.

I ve only just started milling, although i really love it and love making use of trees that would otherwise rot on the ground, it's pretty hard work.

seems from your sig that you have saws big enough to do the job, i say get the mill and have some DIY fun and then keep it around for future opportunities

There are many affordable band mills on the market. As noted above, you may save money having your logs custom sawn. Having cut over one million board feet of lumber I can tell you there's nothing like opening up a log revealing the marvels stored within. It really just depends upon what you really want. I'd suggest finding some one with a CSM and watch them create lumber and observe the details. Do the same with a bandsaw mill as well. This will give you some idea of what all is involved and help you make a better decision.

Best wishes to you in your pursuit.

Back