Need new splitting maul.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensent

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I split 8 to 10 cords of wood per year. Mostly I split by hand for the exercise. Im 66yo. I need a new splitting maul and my wife said to buy a quality tool. She knows that real money could be spent and then some. We looked at the Gransfors Bruks splitting maul last weekend. The head of the maul is a real work of art. The tool really felt good in my hands. I have never had a maul with a wood handle, only fiberglass. The only problem I have ever had with a maul or sledge hammer is to have the heads come loose. I used sledge hammers and axes for 38yrs at my work. The handles were all wood. I never did break a handle but had a lot of heads come loose. What tool have you had good luck with and what would you buy if you were in my position. Ive looked at the Helko,Stihl, Ox-head , Husqvarna etc etc.
Performance and reliability and quality are tops on my list.
Thanks
Tom

Do not get one with a wood handle. If you swing anywhere near as hard as I do, you will break the thing really fast.

I always felt comfortable with an 8 pound maul, fiberglass handle. They will last me two seasons if I am lucky.

Have you given any thought to the Fiskars Super Splitting Axe ? I don't own one yet, but folks here love 'em. A search here should find you plenty of reading on them.

+1 on the Fiskars, I don't see any need to ever buy anything else. If I can't bust it with the FSS then it goes to Hyd splitter Pile.

I burn about 10 cords a year, virtually all split by hand (except the ones that I burn unsplit). I prefer a good hickory handle over the fiberglass ones. The hickory absorbs vibration much better than fiberglass, but there is no arguing that fiberglass is more durable.

I have tried just about every flavor of maul, sledge hammer and wedge, etc. I have settled on the hickory handled maul and the fiberglass handled sledge hammer (long swing impact of handle to steel wedge destroys hickory handles too fast).

I am a big man (6'4"/250#), but I have found the 6# maul is the most efficient (yes, tried monster maul and decided that my rotator cuff would fail before I got too old to stop splitting wood).

Do not get one with a wood handle. If you swing anywhere near as hard as I do, you will break the thing really fast.

I always felt comfortable with an 8 pound maul, fiberglass handle. They will last me two seasons if I am lucky.

You need to work on your technique. There's no reason to be wearing out a good maul that fast.

You need to work on your technique. There's no reason to be wearing out a good maul that fast.

Seriously! My go-to 6# maul has a hickory handle and is going into its 3rd year of service (looks like it might be its last).

I find that if I spend a little time focusing on aim and technique when it has been a while since my last splitting episode that it is worth it.

fiskars...

Recently bought one from Baileys due to all the comments on AS...Best money spent in a long time. Yes it's much lighter than my maul but way more effective. From the time I ordered it until it actually came I was like a kid at Christmas...I really didn't believe the reviews...well they were right.

The big difference for me is splitting is more of an arerobic (SP) workout versus a "power" workout, more focus on speed and accuracy versus trying to smack through a round. I have split cherry, walnut, ash and my personal favorite so far red oak...it's an amazing tool...well worth the money.

if you get one make sure you split on a block...i didn't and rock chiped it with the second swing...went through ash quicker than I thought...filed it out and now it's back to razor sharp.

no it's not #8 but it doesn't need to be...

No doubt about it. Problem is not mis-hits, it is that I swing too hard. I take it as a personal challenge to get every round in one shot, lol. The shock eventually works the handle loose from the iron.

No worries, my Built Rite is coming next week.

Need new splitting MAUL

I have the Fiskars SS and think it is a great tool, but it is a splitting axe. I am looking for advise from someone who uses a top quality splitting maul.
Tom

No doubt about it. Problem is not mis-hits, it is that I swing too hard. I take it as a personal challenge to get every round in one shot, lol. The shock eventually works the handle loose from the iron.

Yeah, and your shoulders are going to eventually work loose, too! :laugh:

Cool! :cheers:

Nice!

The only cure I could find for my elbow tendinitis from splitting was an hydraulic splitter. :D

+1 for the Fiskars I just came in from splitting some oak rounds a lil bit ago and it busted them right up with one swing unless it was a piece that had knots in it,.,but any tool except a hydraulic splitter is gonna have trouble when it comes to knots in the wood...

I have a small fortune In splitting axes the best 2 is the fiskers super splitter and the helco tommahawk both are great. I also split by hand and appreciate a good tool either one would do you a fine job. Fiskers is less money but not less axe good luck.

New splitting maul

HOGBEAR
I see that you have both the Stihl maul and the Helko Tomahawk. What size head do you have on the Tomahawk? Can you compare the two? Maybe a picture would help. Also how does the Stihl splitting axe perform?
Thanks
Tom

someone posted vibration with plastic or fiberglass handle
fill them up with expanding spray foam, ie "great stuff" we learned this years ago when hockey sticks changed from wood to carbon fiber
+1 on fiskars

Back