Need to replace leland cyprus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks Granny

Reaction score
I have 2 leland cyprus, 14 feet tall that leaned over in this winters norester. leaned over at the ground, no breaks or showing roots. I am trying to pull them back into place by soaking the ground and slowly pushing the trees back. I can not get behind them due to too close to a fence. I built a brace from 2x4s. I got one tree to go back about a foot but I'm worried about the roots taking hold. Any advice?

If they're that close to the fence, which one are you going to take down in a few years, the trees or the fence? Those things grow about three feet or more per year, and can hit 60 feet tall.
As long as you don't break the roots up, you can stake the trees to straighten them. They're young and it's not likely you'll hurt them... they're very tough trees. It will take a year, two at the most, for them to straighten up and adjust their roots accordingly. By then, you should be able to remove the stakes. I usually use three T-posts and polyester webbing for this, but you can use rope if you have to. Be sure to cut some garden hose or similar and run the rope through pieces of it where it goes around the tree. You don't want it damaging or cutting into the bark.

If they're very close to the fence, you'll need to get your neighbor's permission to place stakes on that side of the trees, and run the webbing/rope through the fence, if necessary.

Back