Needs help with new DOLMAR 5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SawTroll,

The seller said it is a used 32 inch sprocket nose bar and a new 3/8 chisel skip chain! So I guess it is OK. I am guessing here but I assume that a skip chain has less cutters? This will ease up on the saw but will slow down cutting? Is there a maximum/optimal length for this saw?

Brushwacker,

$225 is a much better deal for a 044! You really got a good one. When I get the saw first thing I will do is check compression. Is there anything else I should look for?

What difference should I expect to feel between the Dolmar 5100 and the Stihl 044? Also does anyone know how to tell the manufacturing year of the saw? Where there better vintage years for this saw?

Thanks,
Rony

The pieces don't quite fit with your 044 by looking on ebay. It looks pretty old, like back in the 10mm wrist pin days. I would go as far as to say that if the serial number starts with anything less than 145, you paid too much for that saw. On the flipside, that guy sells a lot of saws, and I'm sure he's reputable.

The 32" bar is probably a little long for where you are. But it doesn't hurt to have it.

I love the 044. And the 5100. Both great saws.

Glad to hear that you got things working by removing the dog, but you can also learn how to use it properly and save some energy. But, I guess that all depends on the cutting situation. For most of my cutting, the saw works faster with just a little bit of pressure so if I can use mechanical advantage to put that pressure on, I'm not working as hard.

tek9tim,

If it is one of the "old" saws what is the downfall of this saw? Also how come it has the full wrap handle? Do the 044 saws always had this option?

Regarding the long bar I am 5’10” tall so I figure I won’t have to bend as much when bucking. But I have to decide if I want to keep the Dolmar or get a 20” bar for the 044! For 2 lb more I do not know if I can justify keeping both saws!

Rony

SawTroll,

The seller said it is a used 32 inch sprocket nose bar and a new 3/8 chisel skip chain! So I guess it is OK. I am guessing here but I assume that a skip chain has less cutters? This will ease up on the saw but will slow down cutting? Is there a maximum/optimal length for this saw? ...

Skip has 2/3 the cutters that normal (full comp) chain has.

Ideal depends on what you do, and in what kind of wood - but I believe that ideal for balance and handling is 20", maybe even 18" if it is an older 044 (they are a tad lighter, and also has less power output).

Last edited:
tek9tim,

If it is one of the "old" saws what is the downfall of this saw? Also how come it has the full wrap handle? Do the 044 saws always had this option?

Regarding the long bar I am 5’10” tall so I figure I won’t have to bend as much when bucking. But I have to decide if I want to keep the Dolmar or get a 20” bar for the 044! For 2 lb more I do not know if I can justify keeping both saws!

Rony

tek9tim,

From the thread below it shows starting S/N 145 are the latest manufactured saws! Are you saying only s/n 145 and up are worth the price I paid? Also where is the 10/12 mm wrist pin located on the saw?

Thanks,
Rony

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=634025&postcount=3

Yup, wrap handles existed LONG before 044s. They've had that option from the beginning. Yeah, I love the 32" bar. Works great for me. But, you have to have a lot of skill & precision to successfully buck a log on the ground while you're standing upright without digging the bar tip into the dirt. It's a whole lot easier to avoid that if the bar's parallel to the ground. (I'm all about long bars, but for firewood I am starting to think shorter's alright)

Yeah, that thread says that 145 is the latest manufactured 044. In actuality, it did run a little longer, there's a tech bulletin for the 044 from 2000 that says the changes (uprated power output) would be put into effect around serial number 148xxxxxx. The 440 came out in 2001, and (like the thread said) their numbers ran up through the high 160s. (Andy actually said 267, but starting with a 2 means it was made in the US, and the 440 wasn't) And yeah, I would say that if the plastic is the original plastic for that saw, you did pay too much. I got (the main donor of) my 044 off ebay, almost exactly like yours (except an arctic), great running condition, nothing broken for $250 shipped. (It was the 10mm version, and I ended up getting tons of other parts (including a 440 bottom end) to make it what is now) My 460 was like new, and I got it for $585 with a full wrap and 32" bar off ebay.

The wrist pin is what holds the piston onto the connecting rod. It's inside the top end. Simple way to know what you've got is to look at the serial number, if it's below 129, you've got the 10mm pin. Why this matters is that you can't get an OEM piston for it, only chinese aftermarket pistons and no big bore.

Downfalls of it being an old saw are of course that it has the potential for having a lot more hours on it, and that there were a lot of design updates to the bottom end of the 044 over the years that increased longevity, so the newer the bottom end, the longer the life expectancy. (and typically the earlier in its life it is) Don't get me wrong, as long as that saw is in as good of shape as he says it is, you have a good saw on your hands. You just paid a little too much for it.

I pull out the Dolmar for bucking my firewood up if it's under about 15". In softwood it isn't that slow, and it weighs 2 pounds less than my 044.

I see what you mean regarding the bucking with the long bar, I am just an amateur when it comes to using chainsaws so I would not risk digging the nose in the dirt!

Should I expect a big difference in cutting time between the Dolmar 5100 and the Stihl 044? If yes in what way.

Thanks,
Rony

SawTroll,

The seller said it is a used 32 inch sprocket nose bar and a new 3/8 chisel skip chain! So I guess it is OK. I am guessing here but I assume that a skip chain has less cutters? This will ease up on the saw but will slow down cutting? Is there a maximum/optimal length for this saw?

Brushwacker,

$225 is a much better deal for a 044! You really got a good one. When I get the saw first thing I will do is check compression. Is there anything else I should look for?

What difference should I expect to feel between the Dolmar 5100 and the Stihl 044? Also does anyone know how to tell the manufacturing year of the saw? Where there better vintage years for this saw?

Thanks,
Rony

I got a rare good deal . It was July or Aug. and prices slumped a couple weeks. I won an 034 a few or so days apart from the 44 very reasonable.
Outside appearance of both saws wasn't the greatest but neither had any serious problems.
Make sure you have a good clean air filter and have the carb adjusted properly with your mix ratio. I'D check the av dampners condition and check the saw for loose screws. A good drive sprocket is also something you do not want to overlook matched with a good chain. A heavily stretched chain will ruin a good sprocket likewise a bad sprocket will stretch a good chain.
I think a skip chain usually cuts as fast or a bit faster but I am not sure.
My 044 plays with 20 inch in most hardwood. If I didn't have a bigger saw I would probably leave a 25 on it. I see no need for a saw that size to run an 18 inch bar. I would like to see Stihl bars in 22 inch . Years ago that was my favorite length on my bigger Homelites.

Tt-20k

Well, I finally got the tachometer Friday evening. On Saturday I was able to try it. The results where not what I expected! The saw idles perfectly when first turned on, maybe a tad on the high side but very smooth. After I run the saw in some hardwood, it does not idle as nice as before! It idles faster and not as smooth!:confused:

The first thing I did with the TT-20K is check the idling, when first turned on the idling was at around 2900 rpm. I lowered it down to around 2600 rpm with the "L" adjuster, and the saw sounded nice and smooth (after warm-up).

Then I went WOT and the tach was showing 14300 rpm, I think this is perfect? The acceleration was smooth and fast so I did not play with that, but I wanted to get a feel for the high limit, which I understand also controls the lean/rich mixture? Counter clock rich, CW lean? To my surprise nothing happened :confused: No matter what I did with the "H" adjuster (1 to 2 turns either way) it did not seem to change the top end rpm! To remind you I removed the limiter on the "H" adjuster only. Any help on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

I gave up on that and went on trying to check the saw operation in a conventional way by checking the spark plug. I run the saw a few times playing with the "H" adjuster and did not feel much difference! I am really confused here! Tried a few runs and check the plug and it looked yellow on top and black on bottom.

Also puzzling is the idle situation I mentioned at the beginning.

I am suppose to get the 044 Magnum tomorrow, after reading some of your replies I am a little nerves to see if the saw is in good shape and especially if it has the 12mm wrist pin. The seller (Saw-king) wrote that he removed the muffler and the piston and walls look clean, so I hope at lease the compression should be good.

Rony

3120 Xp

By the way I saw a 3120XP with 36" b/c on craigslist today in my area for $700, what do you guys think???:greenchainsaw:

120cc, WOW that should be a monster!

By the way I saw a 3120XP with 36" b/c on craigslist today in my area for $700, what do you guys think???:greenchainsaw:

120cc, WOW that should be a monster!

Yes, it's a monster. Not very practical for regular use, but a good price if it's in decent shape. I'd wait for an 066/660 or a 394/395, much more usable. Now, if you want to show off, a 3120 is very cool. If you want to get into chainsaw milling, its perfect.

Now it's time for Chopwood to show up and call me a "weenie".

Mark

The wrist pin is what holds the piston onto the connecting rod. It's inside the top end. Simple way to know what you've got is to look at the serial number, if it's below 129, you've got the 10mm pin. Why this matters is that you can't get an OEM piston for it, only chinese aftermarket pistons and no big bore.

The 10mm bore piston is still available from StihlNW.. MSRP $106. 1128 030 2000.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back