New 1/2" rigging rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We're in the market for a new 200' 1/2" rigging/lowering line this Spring. Big fan of Stable Braid but want another rope that we can natural crotch & won't wear as much. We'll save our SBs for running w/ blocks. What's a good quality natural crotch 1/2" lowering line?

Pretty much any 12 strand line like All Gear Wonder Rope, Samson Arbor Plex or Yale XTC.

Or good old fashioned 3 strand.

However i never natural crotch anything. I swear by stable braid and Sta-Set. I was leery of the sta-set at first but have come to like it . Less stretch than stable braid, but also has a smaller hand

i use safety blue. its not as strong as stable braid but it handles pretty well. it will burn if you overload it or run it fast, any rope will though

As others have said 12 strand is great for natural crotching, I prefer 16 strand. Samson arbormaster is ridiculously tough and is 8100lbs mbs.
For double braids check out the sirius ropes from teufelberger. The jacket will take alot more abuse than stablebraid

Buy a new Stable Braid and use one of you older Stable Braids for natty crotch. Glazed Stable Braid coils oh so nicely!

I prefer the stable braid but I natural crotch maybe .001% of the time. If you can deal with stretch and a lower breaking strength 3strand is tough ****. It also hockles pretty bad on a porty. I might be the wrong person to ask though because I destroy at least 600' a year plus a couple of 3/4 lines as well. Not "abusing" them either. I just rig everyday.

Nothing beats good 3 strand for natural crotch rigging imo. I use 12 stand a lot to though and I natural crotch 80% of my work. Most of the time i get my wrap in the tree and lower to save me screaming and hollering when the groundie lowers it 30 feet and hangs it up in a crotch. I only put a groundie in control in a let it run scenario and am usually let down at their abilities. "just sayin"

Latest posts

Back