New 120v Li-ion Cordless Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys for the delay. We have all of our inventory out for test and samples going to the GIE show next month. After the show they'll be back and we'll distribute some out. Should have some good video of some professionals using them to share too!

OH Goody another fire starter on the market. How come people can't seem to get the message that Lithium Ion batteries are fire starters. Hover boards, cell phones and now this flock of stuff. Just make sure you store in in a concrete building with a metal roof system or just out side some place.

You're throwing out the baby with the bathwater here. If poorly designed or misused, Li-ion batteries can light up, yeah. So can poorly designed or misused gasoline engines, or just about any other power source. Properly engineered batteries, used within their design specs, are safe, and if I were DHT I'd be pissed off at having their excellent engineers compared to the Chinese hack shops churning out no-name hoverboards. :)

Quick video of the chain saw in action.....

The saw looks impressive, the blue-shirted operator less so. Insufficient PPE, and it looks like he puts the tip of the saw into the dirt when he's bucking that small piece on the ground.

Nice video.

I would love to hear a clear explanation of how voltage affects performance with battery powered O P E.

With corded electric saws, there is usually a clear correlation between Amps and power. With gas engines, we talk about the effects of cylinder displacement, but also tradeoffs between a larger piston diameter versus a longer stroke. So, does a 120V battery saw necessarily have more power than a 40V, or 80V saw (all other things equal)? Will it use battery charge more efficiently (e.g. a 6 Ah battery in a 40V versus 120V tool)? Are there any trade offs with higher voltage tools; etc. ?

Thanks.

Philbert

The saw looks impressive, the blue-shirted operator less so. Insufficient PPE, and it looks like he puts the tip of the saw into the dirt when he's bucking that small piece on the ground.

Good point....it is a rough draft video. Always wear your PPE! Blue shirt guy is the owner of a local tree care company that wanted to give the saw a rip.

Nice video.

I would love to hear a clear explanation of how voltage affects performance with battery powered O P E.

With corded electric saws, there is usually a clear correlation between Amps and power. With gas engines, we talk about the effects of cylinder displacement, but also tradeoffs between a larger piston diameter versus a longer stroke. So, does a 120V battery saw necessarily have more power than a 40V, or 80V saw (all other things equal)? Will it use battery charge more efficiently (e.g. a 6 Ah battery in a 40V versus 120V tool)? Are there any trade offs with higher voltage tools; etc. ?

Thanks.

Philbert

Real good question.....here is a not so good answer.
As you know, P=V*I
Power = Voltage * Amps
EG: 120v*15amps = 1800 watts
So....pretty simple right.

Most brushless motors for Outdoor Power Equipment (mowers, chainsaw, etc) use about the same current draw. (with in reason)
So you get more power by raising the voltage, again with the same approximate current draw. Which allows for self propelled mowers, larger bar chainsaws, string trimmers that can use .095" line in stead of .060, etc.

The MORE important part, which the general consumer ignores is how long you have the power. So Watt-Hrs of energy.
For example we have a 3.0 amp hr battery. With our 120v units you have 360 watt hrs of energy. Which means you can use the product a lot longer.

For example our competitor Greenworks pro 18" 80 v chainsaw:

http://www.powerequipmentdirect.com/GreenWorks-2000002/p15317.html

It uses 80v and a 2 amp hr battery. So it only has 160 watt hrs of power vs our 240 watt hrs with our 2.0 amp hr battery, and 360 watt hrs with our 3.0 amp hr battery.

The battery is generally 60% of the cost of the product. So the less watt hrs some is selling you the less expensive the product should be all else considered equal.

Now, like Europe uses 240v electricity and less amps to have the same powered products we have stateside, you can do the same thing with cordless OPE and further extend the life of the battery per charge. Without giving away any secrets there is a good balance between the amp draw to increase the power and extend the life of the product on a given battery charge. Make sense?

From a marketing perspective....120v makes a lot of sense. Most people know that their wall outlets produce 120v and that (for most people) always provides the power they need.

Long enough, confusing answer?

@DHT there's probably no one on the site more knowledgeable about electric and battery powered equipment than @Philbert. You'll definitely get your money's worth if you let him try out some of your new gear.
I'll second that.
Further, the holy grail of energy density parity with gasoline is closer than you may think. There is at least one group I know who are already testing such energy dense batteries.

Quick video of the chain saw in action.....

I wondered about the run time, video says minimum of two hours on a single charge. not bad, really.

I might seriously consider one in the future.

Back