New 120v Li-ion Cordless Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May be just the vid, but chain speed seems kinda low? Which in turn means slower cuts.

Or maybe the chain needed sharpening...

How does it handle cold? I know my Milwaukee cordless stuff is pretty useless if the batteries get cold.

How does it handle cold? I know my Milwaukee cordless stuff is pretty useless if the batteries get cold.
I have run my Oregon 40V in weather down to about 20°F. I kept the spare batteries in a 6 pack sized 'cooler', near the heater outlet in my car, to stay warm.
The real trouble was with the bar oil! No internal combustion to warm up the tank! Have to really thin it out with kerosene. Same thing with my corded electric saws.

Philbert

20* is pretty warm. I was mostly thinking like -20* area. My gas saws work just fine, even if left outside.

How did you buy one anyhow? I contacted them to see about testing one and later maybe carrying them in our shop but barely got the time of day.

Oh, sorry, glanced over that part on the Oregon saw.

Nope, never seen gas gell. Coldest ive dealt with was only -46* though.
Even winter diesel is fine.

Grabbed a truck radiator support at that temp bate handed. Instantly burned me..
Or so I thought. Actually froze my hands, but felt like it was 400*!

Great reviews! it seems like this saw is a great tool in the toolbox. I wouldnt expect it to replace your 60+ cc gas jobs, but would be a nice break from the fumes and engine noise or for quick cuts around the house. Two questions: 1. Can either of you post a video of just the saw so we can hear the noise level? maybe with a comparison to a gas saw? Has anyone tried to noodle with it?

Thanks

Joe

Philbert, have you seen this cordless CS shootout review, with Echo coming out on top?
Looks well thought out and well written. It's always helpful / interesting to hear / read others' opinions. It's always hard to do truly objective tests. Not always sure how they pick the tools; if certain vendors / advertisers have an interest in the publication; which features the authors put the most weight on, etc. And personal preference is personal preference.

Is the ECHO saw available in your part of the world, or just in the US? I think that there are some brands (e.g. Bosch) that are sold in Europe, but not over here, along with many lesser known brands that may be sold under a variety of names.

This field of battery O*P*E is changing so fast - do you compare saws by voltage rating, bar length, price point, speed, torque, . . . ? How about long term use and dealer support? I have tried to keep up with some of these offerings in another thread, but it really is a challenge.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-and-other-36v-cordless-chainsaws.177392/

Philbert

Echo chainsaws are here, but I can't say I've seen the battery models. EGO are here too, in our version of a big box hardware store. Certainly seems to be a fast-changing market segment. I wonder if Makita will be bringing out a larger battery saw than their current offering any time soon, as that's the cordless tool platform I have committed too. That said, it's great to see many lesser known brands here getting their shot at the OPE market with battery offerings.

Great tests guys!! Curious to see what you think if you swap different chains and bars. Of course you can always put a 12" or 14" bar on this chassis if you like.

By the way, we will have our products tested by protoolreviews in the future. We missed the shoot out, but are anxious to start having our units go head to head with the big guys.

If you really want to get some mileage out of one charge our 3 amp hr battery is the way to go!

Latest posts

Back