New 170 and New 261 Both aren't running right

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yohyatt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can't seem to figure out what this is happening.

I've got a new ms170 with about 20-30 tanks through it - and it's recently been giving me a hard time running -bogs in the cut, and stalls when I point the bar down (vertically) and has a hard time even revving up. I really need to be careful I don't stall the motor.

So I took it to the dealer I bought it from and he richened up the carb and it seemed to work better for a tank or so and then it started again. So I put it aside and have been using my modded new 261 more often because the 170 aint running right - and now that saw is causing the same problems.

I've got 2 month old gas, 91 octane with stabil, stihl synthetic oil mixed 1.9 gallons to (2) little premix bottles for 2 gallons. Could the 2 month old gas really be killing it? is there something else I'm missing? i replaced the 170 with a HD filter and didn't change one thing.

Both saws acting the same? Likely the fuel. You may have lucked into some bad gas at u'r last purchase that was just good enough when "fresh". Buy a can of trufuel for a test.

Both saws acting the same? Likely the fuel. You may have lucked into some bad gas at u'r last purchase that was just good enough when "fresh". Buy a can of trufuel for a test.

thanks - will the trufuel help clean out the jets if they are clogged?

I'd try some new fuel, Ethanol free if possible. It couldn't hurt. I would also use a little more oil in your mix. 1.6 gallons of gas would give you 40:1 with the same amount of oil you've been using.

So don't go with 49:1 :)... Stihl recommends 50:1 but i felt better keeping a bit more oil in there. So is that common practice - 40:1?

Can't seem to figure out what this is happening.

I've got 2 month old gas, 91 octane with stabil, stihl synthetic oil mixed 1.9 gallons to (2) little premix bottles for 2 gallons. Could the 2 month old gas really be killing it? is there something else I'm missing? i replaced the 170 with a HD filter and didn't change one thing.

Problems with both saws points to your fuel. I learned the hard way not to go mixing different fuels and chemicals. Could be that something in the premix doesn't mix with the Sta-bil.

All good answers, but I'm still trying to figure out how your dealer "richened up" the 170? A saw, with a carb that has no mixture adjustment screws, only an idle speed screw.... hmmm?

Duane

Back