New 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For us out here that'd be the smallest lightest saws once in a blue I'll run the 562 with a 32 just really depends on how tight the grain is as well as how heavy the tree is. The bigger saws are just a must out here the timber is bigger it's not unheard of us to chase a cut with 2 or 3 other cuts to pop a face out, it's a different way of doing stuff.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That's pretty much what I'm trying to say. There really is no one-size-fits-all answer. It's really about getting the best saw for your needs and conditions. My firewood saws would be laughed at in your neck of the woods. Here in the northeast, I rarely use my 36" bar. Two totally different worlds.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

That's pretty much what I'm trying to say. There really is no one-size-fits-all answer. It's really about getting the best saw for your needs and conditions. My firewood saws would be laughed at in your neck of the woods. Here in the northeast, I rarely use my 36" bar. Two totally different worlds.

The problem with the BIG bars (for firewood purposes) in using them on trees needing such bars, is afterwards. I dropped a 40" base tree earlier this year, and a 16" bucked log lying on its face cut took all my strength to tip it up, so I could then roll it where I needed it. Larger then that I'd have to try and split it in the forest, and with crude tools (forgedabout the gas powered splitter).

Well today after work, I went over to my Dad and Uncle's property. We walked around taking some measurements of trees. I did this cause I really wanted to get an honest assessment of how big most of the trees we cut and buck for firewood is. Looks like most of what we cut could be done with a 24" bar. The biggest tree I cut down last year was a white oak and it measured exactly 28" across so on that one a 28" wouldn't have made it through. Seems to me I need a saw that will mostly run a 24" no problem as well as a 28" with the possible 32" here and there.

I wouldn't worry too much about buyer's remorse. All the saws you list are very good choices. It's really about what is most comfortable to you. Most of us have more saws than we "need." If you were close, I'd gladly let you run the 661 to see how you like it.

That is very kind of you. And your right, buyers remorse probably wouldn't really happen. Even at the 372 at 5.5HP, that is almost 2HP more than my Uncles 61. I got a feeling a 2HP increase on a chainsaw is very noticiable.

I forgot about that one.
Many have forgotten them because it wasn't cheap and got replaced five years ago by the 362. I took one to a GTG and the only saw that beat it one-on-one in an 18" log was an MS460. Nobody had an MS660 or an 064 around, but that would have been unfair. After he saw it cut, one guy said, "I'm throwing my 290 Farm Boss to the wind."

That is very kind of you. And your right, buyers remorse probably wouldn't really happen. Even at the 372 at 5.5HP, that is almost 2HP more than my Uncles 61. I got a feeling a 2HP increase on a chainsaw is very noticiable.

Yeah! Like being smacked with a Lead Pipe vs. a rolled up newspaper. I've a neighbor that runs the 372 with a 32" bar and he almost makes his living with the combo.

good you walked around and had a look at you actual tree size...I don't log do fell a few trees for myself for stove wood and the sugar house so mostly downed stuff but you have to consider what you have been running for saws. The "old" saws of today lets say stihl and husky are far ahead of what you have been using for the most part....Im gonna get called out but a good used 036 pro will do all you need to...you might just have the walk to the other side of the cut but with a good bar and chain...no problem. Don't under estimate a 372... built a stock one and have run it a fair amount great power and smooth spring av....and that's an old model now "non x torque" 61 is a strong dependable saw but a modern 60cc saw even pre strato has better power av and fuel consumption. FWIW I think unless you need it you get up around 90 cc your just gonna be burning extra fuel.....try some saws if ya can I hear good things bout echo and dolmar but have no experience with them.....you my just have to be the trend setter in your area!

good luck
the can

Yeah! Like being smacked with a Lead Pipe vs. a rolled up newspaper. I've a neighbor that runs the 372 with a 32" bar and he almost makes his living with the combo.

Is his 372 heavily modded? After looking today. Since it appears I will only need a 32" here and there and will use mostly a 24 and 28 I should probably save some money over the 390 and go with either a 372XP, 576XP AT, or a MS441CM. Those darn electronics just scare me. I can't seem to look past that. I can see the first time it shuts off on me im gonna be like "well what now?" have to take to the dealer. That doesn't sit well with me. On a conventional carb I know I need Air, Compression, Spark, and Fuel to get it to run. Find which one is missing and you can track the issue.

Is his 372 heavily modded? After looking today. Since it appears I will only need a 32" here and there and will use mostly a 24 and 28 I should probably save some money over the 390 and go with either a 372XP, 576XP AT, or a MS441CM. Those darn electronics just scare me. I can't seem to look past that. I can see the first time it shuts off on me im gonna be like "well what now?" have to take to the dealer. That doesn't sit well with me. On a conventional carb I know I need Air, Compression, Spark, and Fuel to get it to run. Find which one is missing and you can track the issue.

His 372 is unmodded. He only uses a saw for a few years before selling them to people like me. He sold me a Husky 460 that ran like a raped ape once I did a parts kit maintenance on it.

The 372 with a 24" B&C will blow your hair back. Probably the 28 also, but I haven't experienced it set up like that.

When I started cutting I made a living with that combo and a square Silvey grinder.

+1 for a 390, 8 pin, black unlimited module. Take two saws with you, 390 and one smaller.
Man my 55 year old dad runs a 390 with a 32 bar all day you boys need to learn to buck and limb with one saw. The only time I swap between two is a 60" bar that's for falling to a 32" or a 36" for bucking and limbing I'm a small guy at 140 5'6" it's an east vs west thing but you guys waste time.

Man my 55 year old dad runs a 390 with a 32 bar all day you boys need to learn to buck and limb with one saw. The only time I swap between two is a 60" bar that's for falling to a 32" or a 36" for bucking and limbing I'm a small guy at 140 5'6" it's an east vs west thing but you guys waste time.

It's not that we waste time. We just don't get the big wood like you guys have out west. We just don't need the big bars here in the east.

Well today after work, I went over to my Dad and Uncle's property. We walked around taking some measurements of trees. I did this cause I really wanted to get an honest assessment of how big most of the trees we cut and buck for firewood is. Looks like most of what we cut could be done with a 24" bar. The biggest tree I cut down last year was a white oak and it measured exactly 28" across so on that one a 28" wouldn't have made it through. Seems to me I need a saw that will mostly run a 24" no problem as well as a 28" with the possible 32" here and there.
I know your original post was about the 390 and it's seems that's the saw you really WANT. If that's the case, I say go for it. You won't be disappointed. It's a little heavier but it'll take care of all your needs and then some. Nobody ever complains about having too much power.

Back