New Band mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nsm5096

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Going tomorrow to pickup a new to me used band mill, my first. Any words of wisdom for the newcomer? Its a haawkmill made by PG saw fabrication in British Columbia, how it got to Pa I do not know.

Welcome! Best advice is to look the machine over the way you would a tractor or other equipment. A couple of things you might try...
Of course, if possible, have the seller actually mill a log... or at least start up the engine. Run a straight line along the track. If it is bent or bowed, you may need straighten or replace it. Make sure the head moves up & down smoothly, and that the carriage rolls smoothly down the track. Bandwheels should turn freely when the clutch is disengaged. It looks like a basic manual mill, so if the price is right, I don't think you'll run into any issues that you can't take care of. As far as milling, set up a good foundation for it, and practice on a few low-value logs & cut some blocking & stickers for air drying the better logs. Try to keep the blade above the clamps & stops so you don't cut into them. Get a good cant hook, and you should be in business. Also, get at least a dozen extra blades, and either get a sharpener or find a good sharpening service (should be some locally, since you're in PA). Keep us posted & post some photos if you get it!

I bought the mill. The seller went through the whole mill with me and he milled a log and then I milled a second before i purchased. Got it home saturday and cut a few logs last night before it got dark going to cut a few more tonight i will try and take a few pictures.

Oh and the mill has a 20 hp honda and electric feed and head raise/lower.

I have a piece of maple with a small burl sticking out of the side of it, How should i mill it to get the best grain? Some of the other logs from this tree have considerable curl to them.

Latest posts

Back