New BSM for them = some boards for building for me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A friend of mine at work just bought a large Band Saw Mill so I'm contemplating bring some logs over to see what kind of planks we can get out of some trees I want to remove from my property.
I have some Red Oaks , Poplars, Cedars and Maybe some Cherry I can mill.
Any tips on what I should do seeing as it's her first mill and my first time getting logs milled?

As long as it has a debarker, normal dirt from skidding or laying on the ground isn't a problem.
Metal will kill a blade pretty quick. A nail or two isn't horrible, but lag bolts, buttload of nails (had several logs recently with what I'd guess where nailed on ladder rungs, they used about 15-20 3.5" nails per rung!) tree stand brackets, barbed wire, etc will. Even found a camshaft to an engine in a log once.

How big of a sawmill? My experience is with an LT40 Woodmizer, nothing too big, though still a $40k setup.

She bought a Woodmizer LT28 which is fully portable trailer-able with a 19 hp Kohler engine and side ramps. It also has an added auto-feed system on it, but manual log loading.
None of my logs will have metal in them, some are a bit dirty but I think she's planning to buy a de-barker and power loader for it she said.
I will check all my logs on my property and the bought ones with a metal detector first before I mill them. I know one Red Oak from my house had a nail from previous owner to hang a bird feeder on.
All my other logs are from a large 260 acre woodlot that is privately owned and not hunted on and has been that way in one family's care for over 30 years, so probably no metal in the trees we are harvesting.
I'll take some video and pics of the logs we mill as the process goes on.
Stay tuned.

Not to many females go out and get a mill.....good for her!!!! I hope she will show up on the forum some time..pass that along please.
G. Vavra

Back