New Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like a well made tool ,but seems as though the angles arent adjustable ,the timberline site isnt very user friendly ,instructions sheet viewed upside down,faq page is a joke ,no clues to how long a carbide will last ,are there diff carbide sizes ? no place to contact the company directly through the site . gonna have to wait and see if others like it first jmho jk

That actually looks like a well thought out and executed tool.

Certainly light years better than the various filing jigs!

A few swipes by hand with a file, and I'm good, but I'm a sucker for high quality tools, and this one looks like one I'd like to try..

It looks neat, but I think the price tag is about double what it should be. :laugh:

To be honest, $100 per hour shop time is quite reasonable today. Add the extrusion that the body is made from, anodized parts and carbide burrs, and costs add up.

$129 doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I recall a square file tool that was much more expensive for less.

I don't know how many carbide cutters you get for $129 but they are $20 each. To get started you'd need 3 if you sharpen .325, 3/8 and .404. I don't know how long they last. If not long the cost of the body of the unit could end up being the cheap part!

That being said I'd like to give it a try. It looks well built.

I don't know how many carbide cutters you get for $129 but they are $20 each. To get started you'd need 3 if you sharpen .325, 3/8 and .404. I don't know how long they last. If not long the cost of the body of the unit could end up being the cheap part!

That being said I'd like to give it a try. It looks well built.

No .404 available. Only 3/8, .325, and 3/8 lo pro and looks as if u get one size of your choice with purchase.

The average AS member is clearly far beyond a simple device like this as they are capable of creating a perfectly hand filed chain as if they were brusing their tooth before bed.:msp_wink:

Mr. HE:cool:

The carbide holds up well on my Neway valve and seat cutters, and that is up against stellite valves too. Looks like a nice tool, I will see if they are at the EXPO this year, I will save this thread.

I don't think that they will be at the EXPO, but I like the look of the construction of it, looks like my Neway stuff, and the carbide holds up extremely well!

Thanks for the feedback, I usu just use a hand file in the field, or bring along the granberg if I am out for a few days.. It looks like a nice product, however kind of expensive if you have a mix of saw chain types and then theres the raker issue! I like top quality tools as well, but by the time you fiddle with all the bits and set up for different chains, you might as well be setting up a grinder, which I don't care for anyways!

Old51AVE :greenchainsaw:

Hey guys I have updated some of the info on the website. I appreciate the feedback and will try to answer all your questions.
Everyone always asks me right from the start how long the carbide cutters last. I've had many customers tell me they are very happy with the cutters after 20+ sharpenings. I've done demonstrations at trade shows using 1 carbide and after well over 100 sharpenings I would still not consider it worn out as it still does a good job. The longevity will depend on how it is used, just like a chain. Use it correctly and it will last a very long time. I've used these on air tools at 4000 rpms and they work great! Very precise at removing small amounts of metal because of the high flute count.

Yes, the .404" chain can be sharpened and uses the 7/32" carbide cutter.

The tool comes standard with the angle set at 30˚ and optional guides are available to change the angle to 25˚ or 35˚ I have been really surprised that most people really could care less about changing the angles. :msp_confused:

Had a lot of really good reviews so far. I'm not trying to make this an advertisement on this thread, but I know more about this product than anyone. If your interested pm me and I'll give you a promo code for $30 off the tool.

Last edited:
Hey guys I have updated some of the info on the website. I appreciate the feedback and will try to answer all your questions.
Everyone always asks me right from the start how long the carbide cutters last. I've had many customers tell me they are very happy with the cutters after 20+ sharpenings. I've done demonstrations at trade shows using 1 carbide and after well over 100 sharpenings I would still not consider it worn out as it still does a good job. The longevity will depend on how it is used, just like a chain. Use it correctly and it will last a very long time. I've used these on air tools at 4000 rpms and they work great! Very precise at removing small amounts of metal because of the high flute count.

Yes, the .404" chain can be sharpened and uses the 7/32" carbide cutter.

The tool comes standard with the angle set at 30˚ and optional guides are available to change the angle to 25˚ or 35˚ I have been really surprised that most people really could care less about changing the angles. :msp_confused:

Had a lot of really good reviews so far. I'm not trying to make this an advertisement on this thread, but I know more about this product than anyone. If your interested pm me and I'll give you a promo code for $30 off the tool.

Rockstock,

Any ideas on how to file the rakers? Or is that back to using the Husky or File-O-Plate and a flat file?

Back