NEW DHT (Dirty Hand Tools) 35 Ton Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enough with these horizontal/vertical cheap ass splitters. The whole design idea is a compromise. The hydraulic tank is too small. The tires are right where you want to stand so you trip over them. Or you end up reaching out too far while lifting logs into place (poor ergonomics). You can only work from one side because of where the engine is mounted. The vertical mode is worse. Nothing better then trying to hold a log in place on uneven ground while you try to grab the lever and wait an eternity for the wedge to engage the log.

And I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned but maybe try to get the filter out of harms way. I know that would cost another xx cents for the costs of another fitting, hose and bracket...

Anyone considering one of these things would be better of buying a welder and making their own.

Strange. I have zero regrets buying one, and when I decide to modify it, I have a great starting point instead of spending hours building a beam/wedge/etc. DHT, like most manufacturers, builds for the market which generally *isn't* going to fork out big bucks on a Timberwolf.

I will chime in with having a 5~10gal hydraulic tank on a 17gpm pump is just bad design. Basic rule of thumb is 2.5gal of hydraulic fluid for each GPM on the pump.

I have heard 1 gallon of fluid / GPM. Either way unless there is an oil cooler, it is too small unless you are planning only when the temperature is < 50°F.

Strange. I have zero regrets buying one, and when I decide to modify it, I have a great starting point instead of spending hours building a beam/wedge/etc. DHT, like most manufacturers, builds for the market which generally *isn't* going to fork out big bucks on a Timberwolf.

I will chime in with having a 5~10gal hydraulic tank on a 17gpm pump is just bad design. Basic rule of thumb is 2.5gal of hydraulic fluid for each GPM on the pump.

Maybe that's why someone commented that their cylinder was quite warm to the touch after splitting. See post #1 http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/dht-22-ton-splitter-review.255796/

I have no regrets buying mine either. Mine gets warm as well, but still works great. As a homeowner looking for a splitter for personal use, DHT can't be beat as far as bang for your buck is concerned.

I have the 28 ton model and love it....I cant imagine that there would be anything that this unit could not handle. I havnt run across anything with mine.

There is A guy on the WeldingWeb who purchased the 28 ton model and after about 45 minutes of operation the hydraulics begin to in his word "shudder". He also commented that his hydraulic oil gets very very hot. He complained about something else, but its slipping my mind at the moment :(

There is A guy on the WeldingWeb who purchased the 28 ton model and after about 45 minutes of operation the hydraulics begin to in his word "shudder". He also commented that his hydraulic oil gets very very hot. He complained about something else, but its slipping my mind at the moment :(
I would be interested in knowing if his issue has been resolved or not. I havn't heard anything negative about the product yet but I am sure that DHT would work with the customer if it is under warranty.

I would be interested in knowing if his issue has been resolved or not. I havn't heard anything negative about the product yet but I am sure that DHT would work with the customer if it is under warranty.

Very easy to find thread over there, not allowed direct linkage to other forums, weldingweb dot com and DHT google will take you to it.

No issue not resolved, not much of a follow up. Speculation is incorrect fluid, cavitation, perhaps a misplaced tank baffle or not enough fluid and so on. Also a nice dig at the folks here that we were criticizing the dht splitters unfairly or something.....

I am not involved either way, just like to do web searches...

Still no regrets???

Hydraulic oil (AW46/32) is essentially very similar to 10w-30 motor oil and it can run at 180 degrees all day long, just like it does in your car engine. So these units will heat up the cylinder after prolonged use when you are moving the cylinder back and forth. Most of the heat generation, above and beyond pump compression, comes from forcing the fluid through the valve and the hard line connecting the valve port to the far end of the cylinder. As some have mentioned you can take some of the restriction out of the system by enlarging these lines and ports. That said the valve is rated to 25GPM. You can add an inline cooler like a transmission, power steering pump cooler, or small radiator if you are a real heavy users. All are doable, if one should so desire. And if you are really concerned paint the cylinder white, that is good for 40+ degrees on a sunny day.

With respect to the OP on the weldingweb, and TTYR2's post here, if he indeed has a problem we will fix it. Just call our customer service. Ask for Carolyn.

If the issue he is describing, jerking motion of the wedge in extension, is accompanied with some noises, such as a howling when the unit heats up that is generally a damaged seal in the cylinder. It may not be sever enough to cause a loss of force, but something we would happily replace anyhow. Again if there is ever anything really wrong just call our offices or send us a PM here. If we don't get it right the first time, we'll always make it right. That much you can count on.

Cheers,
DHT

Here's the problem with your whole system.The reservoir is TOO SMALL. Unless you are splitting the toughest wood know, the 2 stage pump isn't going to go into the high pressure low volume stage very often, so you are continuously pumping 5 or so gallons through the system at 17.5 gallons a minute and you are making a lot more than 180 degrees.
In any hydraulic system all the components have to match up and that includes the most important and most neglected component, the oil reservoir. All in all, your splitter looks as good as any other splitter sold for around the same price, but you have ignored the same thing every other splitter builder ignores.

I have the 28 ton model and love it....I cant imagine that there would be anything that this unit could not handle. I havnt run across anything with mine.

Geez man, grab a stump and sit down for a while while you split! That looks like it sucks to be stooping over like that, I imagine that's why some people swear by the horizontal splitters. I have no idea why anybody would want to stand up to split all of your wood either way?

Bottom line is you will NEVER please everyone with ANY design. After years of working up wood I had in my mind what would work best for MY operation. Naturally nothing out there like it so I built my own, incorporating what works best for my operation. Click the link below and you can see some things not commercially found elsewhere.

I personally do not like a push plate/fixed wedge and here is why. I work up quite a bit of larger diameter wood. To pull back a 3ft round of hardwood to resplit again and again is more work than I feel I want to do. It also would make a swinging situation when the round is being held by the overhead lift, not a good thing. Small stuff, yeah, not a big deal but I don't split too much small stuff and don't use a conveyor out the back. I split in the woods, throw to the side and load another day. Basically backing down the log length. I built mine so it is POSSIBLE for one man to split up large rounds with a LOT less effort. What I'm trying to show is that everyone has their own way of doing things. My way won't work well for someone else and vice/versa. Most of the rounds I do would probably push a Supersplit into the ground if all the weight was on it.

I do realize some do not have the resources or time to build their own and for the money, Speeco and DHT offer a great option. You could NOT buy the parts and steel for what they sell a complete unit for. I'd guess it would be at least twice as much to do it that way. It's one thing if you have the stuff laying around but NEW parts and steel would be way up there. You have to compare apples to apples with this.

My hat is off to these guys to at least be open to ideas and answer posters questions. Not too many others are doing that. Reputation can and will bring a strong/loyal customer base which is something that has been lost with most CEO's today. Keep it up DHT!

I am not seeing what is bad about a site sponsor showing their stuff, and asking for feedback on it & future stuff. Usually complaints come from companies building stuff with no feedback or not caring what their customers might want. Some people just can't be pacified.

Then again, I really like my little 22 ton H/V splitter with the wedge on the ram. So maybe I just don't know...

WOW ‼
In all the splitter thread I read comments about how big the reservoir needs to be, how big the lines need to be, how big the cylinder needs to be, how big the wedge needs to be, how big the push plate needs to be, how big the engine needs to be, and I can't remember what all else.
And then I look at my splitter, that's been splitting wood for over 30 years, still has the original hydraulic oil in it (and it's still as clear as bottled water)... man-oh-man, to read these threads, my splitter should have melted down 29½ years ago.

DHT,
If'n ya' really wanna' build something "innovative" take a lesson from the guys who build these.
  • 100% hands-free auto-cycle operation.
  • Adjustable stroke length.
  • Automatic throttle control.
  • 8000 PSI operating pressure.
  • Less than 10 second cycle time (for the full 25 inch stroke).
  • Single spool, user serviceable (one lock nut and one single o-ring), hands-free, auto-cycle valve.
  • Non-vented (closed system) hydraulics.
  • Floating/swiveling small circular push pad that keeps all force directly in-line with the ram, even on angle-cut rounds.
  • All metal coupling between engine and pump.
  • One single, small diameter hydraulic pressure hose (all others are welded steel).
  • Takes up less space than a small lawn tractor.
  • Total WET weight... less than 200 pounds‼
Now that's innovation... and they've been building them for over thirty years‼

sptr1.JPG sptr2.JPG sptr3.JPG

Latest posts

Back