NEW DHT (Dirty Hand Tools) 35 Ton Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW ‼
In all the splitter thread I read comments about how big the reservoir needs to be, how big the lines need to be, how big the cylinder needs to be, how big the wedge needs to be, how big the push plate needs to be, how big the engine needs to be, and I can't remember what all else.
And then I look at my splitter, that's been splitting wood for over 30 years, still has the original hydraulic oil in it (and it's still as clear as bottled water)... man-oh-man, to read these threads, my splitter should have melted down 29½ years ago.

DHT,
If'n ya' really wanna' build something "innovative" take a lesson from the guys who build these.
  • 100% hands-free auto-cycle operation.
  • Adjustable stroke length.
  • Automatic throttle control.
  • 8000 PSI operating pressure.
  • Less than 10 second cycle time (for the full 25 inch stroke).
  • Single spool, user serviceable (one lock nut and one single o-ring), hands-free, auto-cycle valve.
  • Non-vented (closed system) hydraulics.
  • Floating/swiveling small circular push pad that keeps all force directly in-line with the ram, even on angle-cut rounds.
  • All metal coupling between engine and pump.
  • One single, small diameter hydraulic pressure hose (all others are welded steel).
  • Takes up less space than a small lawn tractor.
  • Total WET weight... less than 200 pounds‼
Now that's innovation... and they've been building them for over thirty years‼

And swivels to fit around huge rounds on the ground, so no log lift required. To me, that is the best feature.

No. If you continuously pump 5 gallons of oil at 17 GPM it's going to get hotter than 180 degrees.

That's not true... but it seems so if you keep thinking inside the box.
The temperature of the hydraulic oil is directly related to the total heat load of the system (inefficiencies + pressure drops = total heat load) vs. the total heat dissipation capacity of the system.
There is two ways to reduce oil temperature... reduce the heat load or increase the heat dissipation capacity (or both). It's entirely possible to pump 5 gallons of oil at 17 GPM indefinitely without ever coming close to 180° oil temperature. All systems have inefficiencies such as fittings, valves, etc... but...

Take two identical systems... identical, except that one operates at 2500-3000 PSI (typical log splitter) and the other operates at 8000 PSI (my log splitter). The inefficiencies and pressure drops are (near) identical, but the higher pressure system does more work at (almost) the same heat load... meaning the oil in the higher pressure system will heat less while doing the same amount of work.

But it don't end there, because systems are not necessarily identical.
If you can then eliminate or reduce pressure drops, such long line runs, leaking seals, by-pass valves (mine has no by-pass valve, rubber seals, or long lines... heck, the valve and cylinder are basically one unit), etc., you can reduce the heat load greatly.

Increasing the heat dissipation capacity is simple... just put more of the fluid in direct contact with the steel. For example, use the long, thin beam as a reservoir (such as my splitter) instead of a square box, use steel lines instead of rubber hoses, etc. This is also where a higher pressure system has an advantage; higher pressure allows the use of a smaller cylinder to do the same work (at greater speed per GPM), meaning a greater percentage of the oil inside the cylinder is in direct contact with the steel... the oil is cooled more.

There are hydraulic systems that circulate the oil ten times a minute that don't over heat. Big huge tanks are yesterdays answer and they are expensive to fill and cause more problems than they solve.

Mr. HE:cool:

Update on my 28 ton DHT splitter.

I changed out the AW32 for AW46 and actually had the wedge chattering when cold. Took a knotted wire wheel and belt sander and cleaned all the powder coating off the bottom of the wedge carrier along with taking most of it off of the sliding surface in the beam. No more chattering and I split well over a cord today non-stop.

So what I may have thought was a hydraulic issue was actually probably the powder coating on two surfaces starting to stick to each other. That and the fact that the wedge carrier is a bit loose in the "rails" it rides in allowed it to start shuddering.

Thanks for the update. Some dry lube once in a while can also help. Glad everything is working well!

Oddly, I'm the only one I know in my circle of friends who has a splitter. It's a bit amusing when we're splitting wood and they bring in what they think is a whopper of a round to split, and then look disappointed when the splitter doesn't even struggle. Makes me grin.

I've been watching the threads about this particular machine, and just joined the site. I intend to purchase the 35 ton model as soon as my rewards cards get here, for lowes. My thoughts are to run the 4 way wedge with the splitter. Are there any concerns with this idea, and are there any upgrades or add ons that I should consider?? I'll be splitting 5-10 cords a year for personal and family use.

Spidey, I hate to start a fude, but according to your spec,s
My splitter uses 8000 PSI and a small cylinder (OD measures around 2.75 inches, don’t know the ID) and is rated at 18 tons. It weighs less than 200 pounds and has about a 10 second cycle time using a 7 HP engine and two-stage pump. It will go toe-to-toe with any rated 20-24 ton splitter out there.
Your cyl bore would need to be 2.425in dia at 8000psi to make 18tons of force. Your total od is 2.75 which leave you with a cyl barrel thickness of .375, which would be divided by 2 to give a actual thickness of about3/16. I dont know what material your cyl barrel is, but I have my doubts that that thickness will hold the force of 8000psi. I have to ask, have you ever put a actual guage on your splitter to see what the actual psi is? You claim a two stage pump, I cant see the pump that well in your pictures, but it looks like a cross or gresen single stage gear pump. To get your cycle times you would need to be pumping 5gpm. 5gpm@8000psi requires a 27hp engine to operate. Your engine is severly lacking in hp at only 7hp. I would like to know the actual specs on your splitter, because something isnt adding up.

As we mentioned, what is shown here is the readily available 'non-commercial' 35 ton. You can buy this one today. The larger, commercial 35 ton will be horizontal only, and thus the wedge will be stationary and the cylinder will move a push plate. Availability will be later this year early next....

I was just curious to how this horizontal only splitter was working out. Was it released and I missed it?

I was just curious to how this horizontal only splitter was working out. Was it released and I missed it?

Still making some small adjustments....we'll post it to the forum for comment in the next couple of weeks.....promise!

As Americans, who live in the greatest country on earth, PLEASE stop being so pessimistic and arrogant about the passion and labor of DHT and almost everything else!!! You sound like the media. I have seen the DHT at Lowes and for the price, you CANNOT beat it. I know for certain, you could not build anything similar (assuming you needed to purchase everything) for anywhere close to $1000. Make it what you want. I hate to bust your bubble but most of us are splitting less than 20 cords a year (probably closer to 6-10, maybe) which is well within the "capacity" of this machine. Don't run it like a hammerhead, change the oil every year, and you should have a machine like this for 30 years, EASY. Take it and make it what you want!

So you want twice as much machine, for the same price and work 1/3 as hard & long as you did last year for the same results?

As Americans, who live in the greatest country on earth, PLEASE stop being so pessimistic and arrogant about the passion and labor of DHT and almost everything else!!! You sound like the media. I have seen the DHT at Lowes and for the price, you CANNOT beat it. I know for certain, you could not build anything similar (assuming you needed to purchase everything) for anywhere close to $1000. Make it what you want. I hate to bust your bubble but most of us are splitting less than 20 cords a year (probably closer to 6-10, maybe) which is well within the "capacity" of this machine. Don't run it like a hammerhead, change the oil every year, and you should have a machine like this for 30 years, EASY. Take it and make it what you want!

So you want twice as much machine, for the same price and work 1/3 as hard & long as you did last year for the same results?
I just purchased a 27 ton and had some minor problems, and DHT bent over backwards for me! Beng a buisness owner all my life I only would hope I gave this kind of service. WELL DONE DHT. THANK YOU

Keep up the good work DHT!:clap:

I am interested in a model with a log lift and adjustable wedge.:cheers:

has the designer ever used it to split wood all day ?

Maybe the designers don't split all day, but they do have owners and users like me that offer input...I have two DHT splitters- 22t and 28t and am very happy with the product and the company that stands behind them. Pics of the 28t in action at the butt pile (that Polar trailer has almost no moving parts and cost more than 1/2 as much as my 22t and I've had far more problems with the trailer than the splitter....)

Attachments

• IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    860.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    769.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    770.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    845.7 KB · Views: 43
Maybe the designers don't split all day, but they do have owners and users like me that offer input...I have two DHT splitters- 22t and 28t and am very happy with the product and the company that stands behind them. Pics of the 28t in action at the butt pile (that Polar trailer has almost no moving parts and cost more than 1/2 as much as my 22t and I've had far more problems with the trailer than the splitter....)
you forgot the part about you not being a paid spokesperson:popcorn2:

Latest posts

Back