New Echo CS-490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigredd

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I recently obtained the new Echo CS-490 Chainsaw. Originally was going to keep it all stock, but decided to do a muffler mod. Must say I am liking this little saw after the muffler mod. The stock muffler is really chocked up and it would bog when cutting hardwood larger than 12 inch diameter.

After the muffler mod there is a noticeable increase in throttle response, along with power. Mind you this is not a hot rod saw like the Husqvarna 346xp. I would compare it to the Stihl MS260. Very light weight and nimble, and starts first crank when warm and on 2-3 pulls cold. Best of all is the price, which is only $350. Best value available for a 50 cc saw with pro features. Only difference with it and the CS-500P is the composite handle, plastic clutch cover and laminated bar. Below are some videos for your enjoyment:

Echo CS-490 Review (All Stock)

Echo CS-490 After Muffler Mod

Cut time improves from 15 seconds to 9 seconds, and the wood was larger on the cuts with the muffler mod. That is 40% less time. Impressive I would say.

This saw competes with the Husky 450 and Stihl 251, both which are clam shells with plastic case. No real comparison in quality for the price.

This is an unscientific comparison with a Husqvarna 346XP and an Echo CS-490 Chainsaw. The 346XP did not have a new chain, but using a recently sharpened full chisel chain. The Echo CS-490 was using an almost new safety chain. The 346XP was maybe a half second faster than the CS-490, but quite close in cut time. Very surprising because the 346XP obviously has more power.

Any tips on tuning these saws would be appreciated. Certainly not scientific by any means but does show that the Echo CS-490 is no POS.

Turn the H screw counterclockwise on the Echo until it sounds like the Husky. You'll hear the RPMs get real fast then back it off a little until you hear a little sputter. Then turn the L screw in small increments until it has the best throttle response. Listen to it during the cut and it should clean up with no sputter. Then readjust the idle screw so the chain doesn't turn when you put it down. Search YouTube for tuning a chainsaw. There are a bunch of good videos but Brad Snellings comes to mind.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I thought it was just the opposite, turn clockwise (lean) till it revs up then back it off till 4 stroking. It's turning about 12,000 rpms WOT now.

I thought it was just the opposite, turn clockwise (lean) till it revs up then back it off till 4 stroking. It's turning about 12,000 rpms WOT now.
You're right clockwise! I don't pay much attention to the tach. Just when it sounds right. My 346 turns somewhere near 15000 the way I have it tuned.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

like to see a comparison between it and a cs 400 both muffler modded or both stock same size bar and chain....see if the 10 cc makes that much of a difference.....

I love my cs 510 av is better and more firm than my oh26 and i paid 6 bucks for the power head no b/c yes it is a rev limit coil but it has good power did a muff modd cut the can in half guttet baffle out and installed a larger exit tube 7/16 ID and it has a nice cracklin sound to it too
Any tips on tuning these saws would be appreciated. Certainly not scientific by any means but does show that the Echo CS-490 is no POS.

If you can't get it to clean out then your exhaust baffle is to restricive or you mayhave a pluged filter

Back