New Echo CS-490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The echo sounded much richer than the husky take a 1/16 to an 1/8 turn leaner on ur high end and repost a vid ur saw is hiding something that has not been revealed il try to get a vid made of the 50cc 510 at a proper tune tomorrow

Will work on the tune and see if I can redo. Any locals that would like to play around with the CS-490 get with me. I'm much better with the camera and talking than tuning and running saws.

Do you have a close up pic of the exhaust can ?
Will work on the tune and see if I can redo. Any locals that would like to play around with the CS-490 get with me. I'm much better with the camera and talking than tuning and running saws.

bet you could go just a tad leaner on the echo..... but since your breaking it in i would stay rich......for awhile .... i do

These are actually the results I was expecting. The Echo is a real dog stock, but is vastly improved with a muffler mod. Cetainly no 346XP, but still a nice little saw, light weight and nimble.

bet you could go just a tad leaner on the echo..... but since your breaking it in i would stay rich......for awhile .... i do
Im with you there they are slow to break innn but after they loosen up it will screem it will take a good 10 tanks or better

I don't know what bar pattern comes on the new little Echo but if you have both saws....... then just take the bars off and check yourself ;)

The Husky is a K095...Echo uses some weird mounts and selection is always limited. im not even sure what number it is.

Ive been looking at that 490..
Ive been pleasantly happy with my cs400 and cs310.
And though I might try a bigger echo.
Was thinking 590 but that is probably more then I need

The 590 weighs 13.3 lbs dry, almost 3 lbs more than the 490. I'm hopeful the 490 will gains more power after breakin.

Not the 490 but thought I would share the muffler mod as it must be similar. This is a CS450P that I bought seized as a project to compare Echo clamshells to Stihl. As the saw was completely broken down for a new piston, I took advantage of the opportunity to remove the carb limit caps open up the seriously choked muffler. This muff was interesting. The cat was moved to the side,I am sure to prevent guys like me from taking it out. I did not want to split the muffler to get at the cat, so I drilled two 17/32 holes in the baffle plate between the muff halves, opened the muff exit to 80% of the cylinder exhaust and ground the front half of the deflector off to open the deflector. I could have left the deflector off entirely but want to keep the exhaust off the brake handle and directed toward the front of the saw.
IMG_0954.JPG IMG_0956.JPG

bigred or anyone, did you split the muffler? If so what was inside? On the Echo IPS site they show a " GUIDE, EXHAUST" which looks like a rectangular flange that the screen and cover attach to and a round pipe. Is this a cat muffler? I just got a 490. It came with a 20" bar so I'm pretty sure that I will need to MM and retune.
Anyone with help welcomed.

Back