New guy in Maine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trukn2004

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I might as well introduce myself and load the place with some pictures.

Name is Joe, new to the firewood scene. As I posted before, just finished a house on 11.65 acres of wooded and secluded land. Picked up a Husky 455 Rancher with 18" bar off of CL, brand new, never cut with. Personally, a great saw for a beginner, though im sure ill want bigger and better eventually.

This may be my first home, but I am no stranger to firewood. Grew up splitting and stacking with my grandfather, have spent a lot of time doing the same for the Mother-in-law. This is however my first time with a saw, and my first time being in charge cradle to grave so to speak. enough about me, here are some more pictures.

The truck: 2012 Ram 1500 Express

The project: 1992 Dodge Dakota 2wd v-6, bagged, rebuilt motor, 20's all 4 corners, still not done.

The start to the firewood:

2nd tree that I cut down. did a sweet job of notching it the wrong way, then getting it to fall right into the crotch of another tree. had my site guy pull it down with his skid steer. shagbark hickory.

That's it for now! All the wood you see was hand split, mostly with my Fiskars X27. I have a sweet collection of mauls going, ill try to get a picture. I also have some more wood split and stacked, just don't have a updated photo yet.

That's it for now, hope you enjoyed it.

Hi and welcome to AS. Looks like you'll fit right in.

Thanks. I do enjoy this site. It's quite laid back and seems to have a decent knowledge base.

Welcome... you need more firewood... get to work.

Thanks! and I do. just moved into the house about a week ago, so I go out and cut and split a little each day after work. I think I have around 3-4 cords split and stacked currently, but I am going to keep going with the dead and down stuff around the house. I have no idea how much ill burn this year once I get a stove, so my goal is to have hopefully 7-9 cord by the fall. I also have to build a shed and woodshed this summer, get my landscaping done, and sheetrock my basement ceiling for code reasons. Should be pretty busy!

Welcome! Sorry about the trucks. Maybe someday you'll upgrade to a Ford. :p

That's a beautiful looking house you have there! I don't know if you know this, but the rest of America now has something called 'indoor plumbing.' Perhaps you need Uncle Moustache Home Improvements to install something for you?? :crazy2:

Anyway, membership dues are to be sent to my home address. Don't listen to Groundman when he tells you that it goes to pay for my kids' food and clothing. I hereby promise to spend all dues on chainsaw-related activity.

That's a beautiful looking house you have there! I don't know if you know this, but the rest of America now has something called 'indoor plumbing.' Perhaps you need Uncle Moustache Home Improvements to install something for you?? :crazy2:

Anyway, membership dues are to be sent to my home address. Don't listen to Groundman when he tells you that it goes to pay for my kids' food and clothing. I hereby promise to spend all dues on chainsaw-related activity.

Or even better....a Jeep (he,he)

House looks great. nice site.
Looks like you got some Oak cut and split there.
Welcome and keep up the good work.

welcome to AS Joe. lookin good so far. as far as uncles' plumbing .don't say i didn't warn ya. :laugh:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/uncle-moustache-work-pics.164786/page-41
um51-jpg.400327

Joe you were reeling me in 'til I saw the lowrider.

haha, I know its not everyones taste, but I love the look of a truck laid out over big wheels.

I live in maine now, indoor plumbing isn't allowed by code:happybanana:. And if you ever see me driving a Ford, send for help because I have been kidnapped and my family is being held for ransom.:ices_rofl:

Or even better....a Jeep (he,he)

House looks great. nice site.
Looks like you got some Oak cut and split there.
Welcome and keep up the good work.

There is some white Oak, red Oak, hickory, maple, and a Ton of ash in those piles.

Welcome...nice house, beautiful place.

Thank you

Nice place and good luck. Sorry about the Dodge, I guess we all can't drive a Chevy:) what are you doing about a stove, I built a similiar house and have my stove in the front room and the heat goes right up the stairs.

I think we will be going with a Oslo F500 from Jotul. at this point I am recovering financially from the home, so the stove purchase wont be until the summer/fall. I don't mind chevys, but the ram is better looking, more cost effective, and gets better mileage then the new chevys. I've been dodge my whole life and never had any problems, but if I couldn't have one, I would be behind the wheel of a chevy:rock2:. If that option wasn't available, MAYBE a ford, but The windows would be limo-tinted so no one would see me:cool:

trukn,

Welcome aboard this ship of fools.

I think we will be going with a Oslo F500 from Jotul.

I don't think you can go wrong with Jotul especially with their limited production and assembly in Maine.

I grew up inland in the Mt. Blue area. Thought that corner near York was flat.

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new house, looks sweet!! Glad to see you use PPE while cutting. I spotted some ash in there as well.

Back