New guy in Maine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to A.S. you have a good start on fire wood. Here is some advice, if you think you will use 7-8 cords this year cut 9-10 so it all can get seasoning sooner. Then keep cutting for the following year and cut another 10 cord. It is always good to be 2 years ahead. Gives the oak and hickory more time to season and burns better. Stacking in a sunny are that gets some wind will help with the seasoning this year. Good luck, stay safe and keep your chain out of the dirt and keep the pictures coming.

Beefie

Early signs..............

cowboysbedbath.jpg

trukn,

Welcome aboard this ship of fools.

I don't think you can go wrong with Jotul especially with their limited production and assembly in Maine.

I grew up inland in the Mt. Blue area. Thought that corner near York was flat.

Thanks! Most of York is flat, however my little corner is riddled with hills and ledge. It'll make great mountain biking though.

Welcome to the site. Good to see you have some of that PPE stuff. Keep cutting safe.
Erik

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new house, looks sweet!! Glad to see you use PPE while cutting. I spotted some ash in there as well.

Thanks guys, I never run the saw without it. Steel toes too.

Welcome . I hope cad doesn't get you too soon

Ive heard that before, and I know it deals with Saws, but I don't know what CAD stands for other then Computer-aided design. :)

Welcome to A.S. you have a good start on fire wood. Here is some advice, if you think you will use 7-8 cords this year cut 9-10 so it all can get seasoning sooner. Then keep cutting for the following year and cut another 10 cord. It is always good to be 2 years ahead. Gives the oak and hickory more time to season and burns better. Stacking in a sunny are that gets some wind will help with the seasoning this year. Good luck, stay safe and keep your chain out of the dirt and keep the pictures coming.

Beefie

Will do! and my goal is 9 cord. I think I will reasonably burn about3-4 cord a year, but I want to have extra and I want to get the drying time going. This spring and summer will be a lot of cleanup of dead and dying stuff so hopefully itll be ready to burn very quickly!

No problem just make sure your pants are pulled up.

:ices_rofl: I grew out of the sagged pants stage when I was 18. :rock:

Ooops. forgot the pictures. Here are the stacks as of yesterday. They now have about a 1.5-2 inches of snow on them

I stack similar to how my grandfather would. Basically the whole pile is laid like Lincoln logs. For me, it promotes air flow and stability. Probably not the most space-efficient, but I have the space to create the sprawl and will stack more traditionally once I get a shed up.

Ahh, that makes sense now!

I got to say, I like my 455 rancher. Its decently light, I think around 45-50 cc's and has done a great job at whatever I try to tackle. that said, I am still learning and tentative to try and cut down big stuff like you guys do on here. I think the biggest stuff Ive cut down was 12" trunk diameter, and the largest ive bucked was 18-20". For those I just cut and rolled a lot.

Thanks a lot everyone! The site was down the last day for me, but I snagged some more pictures of my land, and some pictures and questions for you guys. First up is the glory of my chainsaw chain and it finding a sweet piece of York county ledge. Only one tooth is boogered up, but when i cut with it, it shakes like a unbalanced wheel. Do you think this chain can be saved?

Its the red link, at the top in the second photo.

Also, I have some wood cut to rounds that splits like cake, but it seems it might be punked out. What are your thoughts?

It'll be firepit stuff if not.

Ive got my eye on a scrounge. I think its still pretty solid, and Im pretty sure its white oak.

Standing specimin, you can see the victim on the ground

leaves all around it. Seems like its a oak stand. wood sounds solid, but i need to cut into it to be sure. And i need to get my chain figured out to do that.

Finally, just some shots of the woods. This is all just out back of the house, ive got a lot more off to the left of the house too.

Ash i cut down. I hung it up in a tree, but was able to pull it down with a rope.

Back