New guy in Maine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That chain appears terrible dull. Straighten up that one cutter the best you can, sharpen the rest, and you have a lot of life in it yet. Some of that oak (not white) is starting to decline but will be fine for fire pit or not-so-cold days. I mix stuff like that in with the better ones all the time. A little more attention to stove loading frequency is necessary. In time you will make friends with the good, the bad, and the ugly. You will be fine and there is a learning curve with this madness but I wouldn't trade.

So I brought the chain in to my local dealer to see what they thought. he said for him to replace the cutter, then tune the chain up it would cost roughly the same as a new one. I said screw it and picked up a oregon replacement. What a difference over the factory chain! I tested it out on that red oak above, and lucked out. the bottom couple of bucked pieces had a 2 inch punk ring, but the rest of it is pretty damn solid. Worked it a little with the new chain and the fiskars. boy does straight red oak split nice.

Today I remedied a problem i created. I had started stacking on my driveway, right on the edge from my turnaround. At the time, it was covered in snow. With the snow gone, the wife asked that i relocate the wood so we could use the turnaround. Not a big fan of the extra handling, but its nice to have full access to the turnaround now.

where it was, and where it had to go

All moved!

I was rained out a bit, so i went to the basement and worked on my maul/axe collection. Everything but the fiskars are hand-me-down, no namers. They all have a nice edge to them now after some hand filing.

My new wedges! haven't used them yet, but im excited for them

Looks good but it think you missed an opportunity to tell the wife that moving the pile will require a new toy.... Errrr I mean tool. I'm thinking something along the lines of a 40-50 HP tractor w/ FEL and pallet forks :D

Haha, actually a tractor is on the list. Hope to have one by this fall if all works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skidloader with forks, bucket and grapple will fit bill nicely also.

I think I am going to try stacking on a single pallet to move from behind shed to garage when I need them. I think they may fall over easily tho. I did have some extra chicken wire I made a circle and tied ends and set on pallet, but just thrown in. But too much air between. So if we don't get rain all weekend, which we will, would like to try it.

Love those Cummins straight 6's.
Reliable as the day is long.
Not a big fan of too much boost. Sometimes voids the warranty if you know what I mean.
May consider a turbo oiler drip reservoir or similar product? I'm always worried about lube during the wind down.
Rock-on.

I live in maine now, indoor plumbing isn't allowed by code:happybanana:. And if you ever see me driving a Ford, send for help because I have been kidnapped and my family is being held for ransom.:ices_rofl:
/QUOTE]

Indoor plumbing isn't allowed in Maine? Crazy east coasters

Built the woodpile up some more. Found three red oaks down on the ground all missing bark but solid all through!

ee8321b3318eaee83fd487c4a8751896_zpslgkxulob.jpg

07c6f78cc6b57dacd5e79b69150e585f_zpsp2zll0zt.jpg

Bucked it to rounds and still have most of it in the woods to carry out. Loving it!

Some are inclined, some not but firewood work can be a really good family thing and kids can learn what real and honest work is about. It was with us and I miss that stuff in a big way. There is regular mention of such things amongst these pages. Saw on.

Built the woodpile up some more. Found three red oaks down on the ground all missing bark but solid all through!

ee8321b3318eaee83fd487c4a8751896_zpslgkxulob.jpg

07c6f78cc6b57dacd5e79b69150e585f_zpsp2zll0zt.jpg

Bucked it to rounds and still have most of it in the woods to carry out. Loving it!

Dead barkless red oak is my favorite. Don't know why but it burns like rocket fuel.

Im excited for it! Past two days I've been under the weather. Caught myself some sort of bug. On top of that, the skies have decided to relinquish a unending torrent of rain here to really test out my lack of topsoil or any sort of vegetation to hold the dirt down. probably wont be able to move or process any more wood this week.

Latest posts

Back