New guy in Maine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha, just like the cold helps drive the Mass-holes out in the fall after the leaves drop.:D

Hey, you call it boy, being a hop from the Mass border. Silly crap from one so far south you can see Boston. :baaa: Most of you south of Brattleboro, Manchester or Portland
errrrr -- like YORK, ME ! -- are IN Mass. No need for this. Belay it.....:dumb2::dumb2::dumb2:
Besides you got those palm trees way down there in York. :dumb:

Hey, you call it boy, being a hop from the Mass border. Silly crap from one so far south you can see Boston. :baaa: Most of you south of Brattleboro, Manchester or Portland
errrrr -- like YORK, ME ! -- are IN Mass. No need for this. Belay it.....:dumb2::dumb2::dumb2:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I used to razz my city friends "ya know, my outhouse is uphill from poland springs..."

haha, I always joke that I don't live in real maine, just a nice suburb of boston. :lol:

Well it has been quite a while since I've posted, but figured I would update you all. sorta related to firewood, but I have pictures so I figure that's good enough. :lol:

Where to Start, well first things first, Tractor is back in its more useful dress! fought with it a bit, but blower is off and loader is back on.

And with that loader, I tackled some potholes along the private road. Basically dug up those sections, then smoothed it back out. Been done for about a month or so and it seems to be holding up.

I also started in on my woods road.

tried to take the path of least tree removal. ended up having to take one decent-sized one out. luckily it was dying, unfortunately its too far gone to salvage :unamused:

So, back in January or so, my section of the road washed out. I found the water source and stopped it, but I needed to re-gravel. I also had a low spot that was habitually wet, and very icy from ground water. I called my road guy and we developed a plan.

First things First, here are some shots of before. It was even worse, but he came out in January and fixed it with what was left to allow me to drive on it.

To start, we had to move some big rocks down and create a retaining wall for the section we were raising. Luckily, I grow big rocks very well. :lol:

82 yards of 6" minus to get the grade right :eek:

Next came the topping with 1.5" crushed. should hold well on the hills.

final passes were rolled and compacted.

The best news of all, the mini was staying with me all weekend! Road was fixed Thursday, and I worked while they did. knocked out a bunch of honey-dos. first was a swale back up the unfinished section of my road to keep it from washing out ever again. I raked it out this morning to make it more even.

I also had a big stump in the back yard to remove. Took some digging and some luck but I got it out! allowed me to push back an existing swale and tie it into a newly dug one. I did tear up my yard in the process though...

little mini couldn't lift it, so I pushed it around front of the house.. tore up the lawn, but I needed to loam and re-seed anway. :hide:

I also put in a ton of work on the woods road. Stumping, leveling, and general clearing. making it nice and safe for the tractor or possibly a truck to get out into the woods.

I'm about 250' off of my road, and my back line is about 150' away. Wife picked up fuel for me, so I should be rip-roaring to go tomorrow! Itll be nice to be able to easily access all the wood from this winter that's been sitting out here.

So Saturday I spent a long time in the mini again. Got the road all finished up, but didn't take final pictures. I will try to get some tonight.

Success! This is the tractor at the turnaround. Road goes another 40 ft or so.

A nice little black birch was right in the way, and any way around it involved me destroying the roots, so it came out. thing was spitting water! I cut some of it up and hauled it out. my first use of birch and my official first use of the tire. I love it, just need to secure it to the splitting stump with some nails or screws.

If that wasn't enough, the wife and I finished up the front bed and mulched it. 3 yards of mulch. I was quite glad to have a tractor then. makes distributing from the pile quite easy.

I am sore, tired, and ready for a day or two off for a bit. With my new road I should be able to shuttle out all the split beech from this winter, as well as the dead red oak I cut into rounds recently. should be a fun-filled spring-summer!

So i went from a single saw guy to a 3 saw program! Was visiting my mother and father over the weekend and got talking about saws. he had two from my grandfather. gave them to me, free of charge! both are extremely old, the bigger one was built in canada by my dad's uncle, and the top handle i am not as sure. did a little research but i cant seem to place how old or info on them. pulled the cords on both and the turnover so thats good. going to clean them up, mix up some fuel and see how they run.

If anyone has any info on them, size, CC, etc, i would love it. My mom is going to see if she has the manuals kicking around.

what I found ....
http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Homelite-Parts-Manuals-For-Chain-Saws/
scroll the pdf's and you will find the ut # of bigger saw looks like it is a super xl with auto olier built from 1964 till 1988...I'm not sure when they went to red but the older xl 12's were blue and you had to oil the bar as you were sawing had a plunger near the trigger you could work with your thumb ... so yours would be a newer version say "70's" and up

couple other links
https://www.scribd.com/doc/81517291/Homelite-Owners-Manual-XL-12-SXLAO
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...6af40002b8f7/a17d735d551f0f1e88256b78005f6a7b

Weather is getting nicer! Back on a day shift and I got home from work a little early. took the pups for a walk, got back to the house and decided to drive the woods road and pick up some of the wood out there.

This is my favorite view. Cab was a blessing since the black flies are out and they love to fly into the side of your head for no reason.

So after all the rain the woods road was only a little snotty in one spot. Made it through in 2wd the first time, then 4wd got me through it the next 3 times. Going to have to bring in some dirt, or corduroy that section. Nothing terrible, just mucked up the turfs a bit. Anyway, got out to the turnaround, made a 180 and stopped 20 ft from the pile. man oh man, that is nice!

I only brought out two bucket fulls, about 70% already split. Didn't take maybe more then 30 minutes. Still have plenty out there. Plan will be to make a couple trips a week to get it out. going to try and fix the muddy section first though!

That's all for today! And if anyone is wondering: Mostly American beech with a small amount of birch. :)

Well, I promised you guys a full set of photos of the road, and I never delivered. I would have fired myself if I didn't work so cheap. :baaa:.

I'm gonna start at the end of the road in the woods. I sort of just stopped it shy of the property line. the line is basically right where the hemlocks are.

Turned around and looking back towards the house. The turnound is in the photo. from here on out itll just be in succession of heading out.

The split. heading left brings you to the walkout basement, right to the road. Were going right.

The mire. Going to fill it in with some crushed ledge, top it with some small saplings and some dirt over that. hopefully that will solve the muck issue.

Back at the splitting area dropping of the second load. unloading is so much easier then loading.
C292EA1A-CAA9-4B53-B2D3-C9DB5DBADFBB_zpshrb7urgi.jpg

So there is probably another three loads in the big pile, then I have two smaller piles to move. once all those are done I am going back in with the saw to cut up some pieces that were left, and I also have some unsplit red oak rounds to haul out. going to be a busy summer. I don't even know if I will put another tree on the ground. if anything itll probably be closer to fall.

Awesome piece of property you got there truckn2004.

Jealous of all the cool power equipment too:D

Thanks a lot! Having the right equipment really does make it a lot easier. I tried to convince the wife I "need" a mini ex full time, but for some reason she didn't believe me. :ices_rofl:.

I have to say though, a solid, good-sized tractor is worth every penny you can muster. I bought it mostly for the snow work on the road, but their isn't a day that goes by that I do not find another use for it. Right now my biggest problem is trying to gather more implements for it. A box blade will be next once I can secure the funds. living where I live, the tractor is almost a necessity if you don't want to pay someone to do all your work for you.

Treated myself. Been looking into a hatchet for kindling duties and happened to be in BJ's. Setup was 35.00, but had a instant 5 bucks off. I felt that was a pretty good deal, so it found its way home with me.

You'll like those!
Im excited to give them a try!

Put in some work today, boy was it warm out all morning.

Started stacking from the pile ive been bringing out of the woods. Here is a shot to show you a idea of how i stack. Its not conventional, but it dries well and is very stable.

the completed pile

the splitter trash being saved for kindling.

and the Mother-in-law pile. All pieces that dont want to give in to the fiskars. her timberwolf t2 handles them quite well though.

I also fixed my tire. Added some bracing and screwed it to the splitting block. Now it no longer slips around.

Decided to do some chainsaw work. Cleaned up the half-rotted tree, cut up the rest of the black birch from before and dropped a white birch that was standing dead and cut it up.

Thats it for today, got to get ready for work. hopefully i can get some rocks into my woods road, then head out and continue the gathering process!

Latest posts

Back