New house with wood stove questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint Mitch

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
New to indoor wood burning. Any suggestions? Any idea how much wood to stock up on to supplement my propane furnace in a 1700ft² house with decent insulation and newish nice windows. It's a new to me house. I'll be buying wood this year, I don't have a splitter yet and a bad back that doesn't like swinging anything. I live in mid Michigan if that helps. Sorry if this is a dumbass question:)
7dbba8a006a3f205fcd9d48c24676b3e.jpg
9d8769379e2b2f6dffba0d06c6db1f20.jpg
37915822a49d66e1e228e94e8f4adec0.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That thing looks like a wood hog!!

Kinda late in the game to be buying wood unless you can verify that it is seasoned. If your intention is to supplement the existing heating system, Id start with 3 full cords.
I've got a good line on good wood. I was figuring 4 cord to be safe

Ive found that the ceiling fans in our house actually hinder the heat moving around. Natural convection does a fine job pulling the colder air to the stove... At least with our layout.

I do have a couple areas at high points on the ceiling where I want to install vents on either side of the wall to help the hot air move from room to room.... We heat roughly 2600 sq feet with a Hearthstone Heritage 8022 which is not really centrally located. It keeps up fine till the temps drop below 10 or the winds start howling, then we fire up the insert on the larger side of the house.

Tell us more about the stove....

Ive found that the ceiling fans in our house actually hinder the heat moving around. Natural convection does a fine job pulling the colder air to the stove... At least with our layout.

I do have a couple areas at high points on the ceiling where I want to install vents on either side of the wall to help the hot air move from room to room.... We heat roughly 2600 sq feet with a Hearthstone Heritage 8022 which is not really centrally located. It keeps up fine till the temps drop below 10 or the winds start howling, then we fire up the insert on the larger side of the house.

Tell us more about the stove....
I have no info on the stove. I haven't found any markings. The house was built in the 40's

First things first... is your insurance company ok with you burning in the house? Not that you need to ask them but it's definitely a consideration.

Next, have the chimney inspected to make sure it's safe as is.

Finally, when you start to burn in the stove, play it safe and clean the chimney regularly til you get the hang of draft and burning with that set up.

To answer your question, I'd say 3-4 cords would be plenty your first year. You may lose interest or find it's a pain to keep up with a busy lifestyle(?)... Wood burning in them older stoves can be a pain to keep going if you sleep more than 4-5 hours or work an 8+ hour day away from home

If you don't advise your insurance person you have a wood burner, you might as well not have any insurance - that would be their reason number 1 for no coverage when you need it. They should have asked on all heat sources when you got it though.

You need to make sure your wood is actually dry, or else that will take a lot of fun out of it. I'd get as much as I could - what you don't use this year will be that much more ready for the next. Not sure your chimney situation, but I don't see a pipe damper. That may or may not be something to consider but might not get an idea on that until you run it. And like mentioned, check the whole thing right to top of chimney for creosote every couple weeks until you get a feel for how it runs - likely count on a chimney cleaning once a month. Wood that's not dry will make it a lot worse.

If you don't advise your insurance person you have a wood burner, you might as well not have any insurance - that would be their reason number 1 for no coverage when you need it. They should have asked on all heat sources when you got it though.

You need to make sure your wood is actually dry, or else that will take a lot of fun out of it. I'd get as much as I could - what you don't use this year will be that much more ready for the next. Not sure your chimney situation, but I don't see a pipe damper. That may or may not be something to consider but might not get an idea on that until you run it. And like mentioned, check the whole thing right to top of chimney for creosote every couple weeks until you get a feel for how it runs - likely count on a chimney cleaning once a month. Wood that's not dry will make it a lot worse.
Insurance does know. They asked in the beginning

That thing looks like a wood hog!!

Why are you always so hurtful?

That does look like the Earth Stove model Wood Pig 3.

To the new owner. You have lots of good advice here but in addition do check the chimney before firing this wood stove. It may be pre-loaded with lots of creosote already. There are lots of great looking highly efficient free standing wood stoves on the market today. Take the wife wood stove shopping.

Why are you always so hurtful?

That does look like the Earth Stove model Wood Pig 3.

To the new owner. You have lots of good advice here but in addition do check the chimney before firing this wood stove. It may be pre-loaded with lots of creosote already. There are lots of great looking highly efficient free standing wood stoves on the market today. Take the wife wood stove shopping.
Money is a bit tight right now for that!! I will definitely have someone out to clean and inspect.

Money is a bit tight right now for that!! I will definitely have someone out to clean and inspect.

I can relate to that. It's never too early to start looking though your purchase may be a few years away. This gives you time to do research and make a good informed decision.

Latest posts

Back