New "Johnson Red" Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To explain, Vermonters do have peculiar regional pronunciations for foreign words. For a French word for example one generally really punches the syllables the French normally drop- so Dubois is pronounced Dew-BOYS, a town near me Charlotte isn't pronounced like the one in North Carolina- it's SHAR-lot. But it's a little more complex, there is a deliberate fudging that's a regional art form. Charlebois becomes Charlie-BOYS, culdesac CULLY-sack. Jones-e-red fits right in with this theme.

"John sheful" however I cannot explain.

We also use sugar as a verb.

John H.

It's funny because I heard all the Vermont terms first and was orrected later in life. The one I remember most was the Jotul wood stoves. When I was a kid my gramp used to say "all them Hippies have them John-tool stoves." I was almost 30 before I was corrected.

And Charlie Boys is where you buy Freightliners.
And you can't make syrup if you don't sugar!

It's funny because I heard all the Vermont terms first and was orrected later in life. The one I remember most was the Jotul wood stoves. When I was a kid my gramp used to say "all them Hippies have them John-tool stoves." I was almost 30 before I was corrected.

And Charlie Boys is where you buy Freightliners.
And you can't make syrup if you don't sugar!
\\

Yep and don't even come to Maine!!!! They say we talk funny over/ down here too!! LOLOLOL!!!

Hey i just noticed you have a Lombard "Little Lightening"!!! You wouldn't per chance know of any parts or parts saws around your area????

Actually I remembered you asking about such last Fall and have looked for one since for you but no luck. Not too many old saws show up at the flea here- I guess you have to go to farm auctions.

A muffler from a Skil version should fit right I believe (?). I see those cheap cheap on eBay frequently, there and on the Acres site they look identical nearly, made by the same B.C. company as mine.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...324c7a29ffef386b88256b5400508718?OpenDocument

John H.

Last edited:
Actually I remembered you asking about such last Fall and have looked for one since for you but no luck. Not too many old saws show up at the flea here- I guess you have to go to farm auctions.

A muffler from a Skil version should fit right I believe (?). I see those cheap cheap on eBay frequently, there and on the Acres site they look identical nearly, made by the same B.C. company as mine.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...324c7a29ffef386b88256b5400508718?OpenDocument

John H.

Thanks for the come back, but mine is quite different than that. Perhaps being a super (39cc) is the difference. That one looks the same as the Jonsereds 36 and others, skil etc. not to say that the muffler wouldn't fit though. I'll have to look into this. HMMMMM Thanks

I currently have a 630 I picked up off Craigs List a couple of years ago. It ran fine for a while then died last fall. I have enough other saw that I just haven't had a chance to look at it till just recently. The piston and cylinder are badly scored.

My local mechanic figured it was starting to go when I bought it and it finally just got to a point where it wouldn't run. He dissuaded me from fixing it due to cost of parts and labor so I thought I would try my hand at it. (At this point I can't hurt it and not having to pay the labor would save quite a bit...)

So now I'm looking for parts. I've used the search a bit here to see if I could come up with equivalent husky parts that Baileys sells, but so far haven't pinned it 100% down. Is there some master cross reference you guru's use? :) Or is there a better source of parts for these saws then Baileys? (Trying to use the sites sponsors when I can...)

Oh and in keeping with the Vermont pronunciation bias of this thread, Charlotte is pronounced either shar-LOT (Emphasis on the last syllable) or sha-LOT. (Emphasis on last syllable, and no "r" sound... :))

I've heard Jonsered pronounced Jon-sred mostly, but that is mostly just accent not out right name mangling.

Ayup...

So now I'm looking for parts. I've used the search a bit here to see if I could come up with equivalent husky parts that Baileys sells, but so far haven't pinned it 100% down. up...

You can see from here it has a Tillotson HS carburator-

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...0796b04697e56eab88256b6b001a9c34?OpenDocument

So you need first of all a Tillotson HS complete carb kit, just enter that into eBay's Search box (I get most of my parts off there) or just Google it. First thing I do is install a complete carb kit and ask questions later. A saw as old as the 630 automatically needs a kit- I sometimes don't even check if the saw runs before installing one. Be careful of partial gaskets-only kits- it's always better to replace the needle and seat too and it's only $8- vs. $12- bucks.

I have found with my Jonsered 2065 anyway the Husky 365 parts all fit IIRC. Piston kits etc. are also plentiful on eBay.

BTW I've been to local saw "repair" shops that don't install carb kits but just new (pricy) carbs. They tell me once in awhile the rebuild doesn't work, that's happened to me but only because I put the gaskets back wrong. They also don't do pistons or rings only but insist on jug and piston kits. Farr Bros. in Richmond though does do work the old fashioned way I hear.

John H.

Last edited:
I have no idea. Perhaps Niko can help on this one..but I think it happened around the time that E-lux aquired Jonsereds and Husqvarna.

A few years later actually, like 1982 or so, but I have no idea why it was done! ;)

It happened at about the same time that the first Jonsereds made at the Husky factory turned up (670 and 630).....

Last edited:
Fun reading this one, why did jonsereds change it to jonsered? Maybe they thought it was easier to pronounce correctly?

A few years later actually, like 1982 or so, but I have no idea why it was done! ;)

It happened at about the same time that the first Jonsereds made at the Husky factory turned up (670 and 630).....

Maybe they had a Vermonter working for them and he pronounced it wrong... :) That or it was a typo, they had thousands of new parts with the "s" missing, and said, "Yeah, we meant to do that..." :hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe they had a Vermonter working for them and he pronounced it wrong... :) That or it was a typo, they had thousands of new parts with the "s" missing, and said, "Yeah, we meant to do that..." :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, "no idea" wasn't really true - I sure have some thoughts about the issue!

What I believe is that it was done to strip Jred of some of their identity, as Elux made it quite clear that Husky was the #1 brand, after buying up both + several more. That was not consistent with the actual merit of the brands in the late 1970s - but that soon changed - Husky had developed/was developing a new generation of saws, that was way superior to the older ones.

Husky own all those brands today, and have bought even more, but that's another story!

It also happened at about the same time that Jonsered(s) saws ceased to be pure Jonsereds, but had Partner and Husky influence in the design, and some simply were slightly modified Huskys, made at the Husky factory!

All the better Jreds are made by Husky, at the Husky factory, today - and have been for a while.

Last edited:
Fun reading this one, why did jonsereds change it to jonsered? Maybe they thought it was easier to pronounce correctly?

I believe that "jonsereds" simply sounded old fashioned. The extra "s" means "belonging to", that is to say "chainsaws from jonsered" or "jonsereds' chainsaws". They probably thought simply using the name of the place sounded more modern; more like a brand name than something made in a barn. I'm just guessing here, though.

The pronounciation doesn't really differ, the "s" is pretty silent. Another guess is people actually said "jonsered" and not "jonsereds" and therefore the change.

Last edited:
I don't know about you but a half of a CC of either one is not going to make much difference to me one way or the other!! (unless we are talking only 1 cc per drink):cheers:

No, but we always split the last drops of Bourbon in the bottle evenly. Not that I'd be able to do that after the five pints you guys are on about...

Back