New Lickity Split Splitter EK308!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anysawpat

Make chips
Reaction score
I picked this splitter up for $100. I thought is was a homemade splitter. But now I found out it was a Lickity Split Splitter. It had a stuck exhaust valve and broken recoil spring. I had it running after 2 hours. I used a drill with a socket on it to start it. I has a k181t kolher on it. I built a muffler for it out of some 4 in pipe and baffles inside. The kolher is missing some parts like the governor arm and other pcs. It has a throttle cable connected to the carb butterfly. (Not right on a kolher) It is a single stage splitter with springs to retract the piston.20170625_110835.jpg 20170625_110843.jpg 20170625_110852.jpg 20170625_110737.jpg

When ever you do a search for parts, it's "Lickity". There are a bunch of other splitting things spelled "Lickety", and you will get a lot of stuff you don't want or need to look through. The throttle cable is supposed to hook to the valve lever so it throttles up when you push forward, and throttles down while it retracts. It is not supposed to run at one constant speed like new machines do. Yours is one of the newer models. The older ones had a second lever that when you pulled it, it would lay the whole machine flat on the ground so you could roll a big log on the beam. It looks like it's in great shape. I'd say you did OK. Actually, I'm not sure if the newer ones like yours throttled up and down with the ram like the old ones did. At the end they were making them more like modern splitters. Super3 knows a lot more about these than I do. Nice find and good luck with it, Joe.

When ever you do a search for parts, it's "Lickity". There are a bunch of other splitting things spelled "Lickety", and you will get a lot of stuff you don't want or need to look through. The throttle cable is supposed to hook to the valve lever so it throttles up when you push forward, and throttles down while it retracts. It is not supposed to run at one constant speed like new machines do. Yours is one of the newer models. The older ones had a second lever that when you pulled it, it would lay the whole machine flat on the ground so you could roll a big log on the beam. It looks like it's in great shape. I'd say you did OK. Actually, I'm not sure if the newer ones like yours throttled up and down with the ram like the old ones did. At the end they were making them more like modern splitters. Super3 knows a lot more about these than I do. Nice find and good luck with it, Joe.
Thanks for the spelling correction.

When I got mine I spelled it the other way and got all kinds of non related junk. Then I started getting good info and realized I had it spelled wrong. Webbs Farm Supply bought out Lickity and still has parts, Joe.

I spoke to Lowell at Webbs today, I was looking for missing parts that would make the engine throttle up at the start of the cycle, he has the bar from the govenor to the one, so that will come soon along with a manual. I still need a govenor bar that attaches to the engine govenor with a small bar to the carb. And some ajustment.

Does yours have an auto cycle mode? You could set mine so the ram kept running in and out and you just dropped a round in. Some one made me an offer on mine and I had to let it go, so I never got to see it auto cycle, Joe.

I am not sure yet, I am getting the IPB for it and owners manual and service manual. I will know when I get those.

So the splitter is a EK308, the splitting cycle is.. push lever forward engine goes from idle to 3250 rpms. After the piston reaches the trip lever the engine idles back down and the piston retracts with spring assist. So it is not auto cycle. Too bad.

I read that auto cycle will just keep cycling the ram, so you just keep putting wood in. Mine you pull the handle it will go forward hands free then return and stop. The motor speeds up and returns to idle.

I read that auto cycle will just keep cycling the ram, so you just keep putting wood in. Mine you pull the handle it will go forward hands free then return and stop. The motor speeds up and returns to idle.
Yep, you are correct. The big Lickity Splitters would continue to run in and out. If you weren't ready to drop a piece in you just let it run in and out. It had a two stage cylinder, with a single stage pump. When the PSI got to 1500 pounds it threw a valve that redirected the flow to the bigger, slower, more powerful chamber, when it dropped back below 1500 it shifted back to the smaller faster chamber. As Pat said, they have big coil springs that return the ram quite fast. Super cool splitters, Joe.

I received the engine idler rod today along with the owners manual and illustrated parts break down. With the breakdown it shows the arm nut washer and spring , it is a #1 jones spring. Of course it would have to be a certain size and strength.

I found the #1 jones spring for the idle control thru mcmaster carr $5.83 for 12. Guess I have extras now.

Now that I have all the parts except the bar from the govenor bar to carb I will put all of that together sunday. I think I can fab that short piece of linkage.

I could use a pic of the govenor arrangement on the lickity splitter model ek308. I need to drill a hole in the govenor arm and need the location of the hole if anyone has one I would appreciate it.

I picked up a set of buna #425 0 rings for the cylinder on the splitter, it has hydro fluid in it so I have to change it to 10w40 motor oil as called for in the manual.

Back