New life to an old saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Howdy fellas just wanted to post a short vid of an old blue and white Homelite XL 12 that I got for free from a nice fella that just wanted someone to breathe some life back into her. All she needed from me was a new handle bracket and a new fuel line. Fuel line took a bit of strategy but after researching the problem I found a few very helpful videos online and that's all it took.

I have one just about like it -- the XL-101. Estimates are that is was made in the late 1950's or early 1960's. Mine is leaking bar oil through the bottom, enough to keep it only as GTG demo saw. Nobody seems to have any idea how to get it to stop leaking through the metal case. JB Weld failed.

I had to install a new fuel line also. That's all it needed, along with a carb adjustment, and it runs like a top. I can't seem to find much plastic on it. I doubt if there is any. The thing is built like a tank.

My Dad used an XL 101 as his climbing saw, power head was 10.5 pounds and they came out in 1969. By the time I started climbing we had switched to the EZ Auto, still 10 pound power head, Joe.
Glad to hear that my old clunker is about 10 years younger than I thought. Best thing about this saw is that it still runs and has good power. In its day, it served its owners very well. I'm the only owner of this saw who is still alive.

I have one just about like it -- the XL-101. Estimates are that is was made in the late 1950's or early 1960's. Mine is leaking bar oil through the bottom, enough to keep it only as GTG demo saw. Nobody seems to have any idea how to get it to stop leaking through the metal case. JB Weld failed.

I had to install a new fuel line also. That's all it needed, along with a carb adjustment, and it runs like a top. I can't seem to find much plastic on it. I doubt if there is any. The thing is built like a tank.
There is a epoxy that is used in motorcycle tanks as a sealant clean tank out good then pour some in and roll it around to coat the tank wish I remembered the name of it

Glad to hear that my old clunker is about 10 years younger than I thought. Best thing about this saw is that it still runs and has good power. In its day, it served its owners very well. I'm the only owner of this saw who is still alive.
I wish I had my Dad's. I have most of the saws that Dad or I used personally. There was something about that saw, I think the bar was more narrow than our other Homelites. I forget what it was. But, I think he needed a new bar and our supplier said he couldn't get one anymore. Dad retired in 86 and it was before that. Anyway, about 25 years ago I took a whole weeks vacation and worked on all the saws I had in my shed, got them cleaned up and running, put them back on the shelf. A couple years later half of them wouldn't start or run right, so I threw a temper tantrum, and sold all but the big saws. Most probably need new fuel lines. I remember I sold one teenager that said he liked to fix up old saws for side money, 6 XL 12's for $20. Now with the internet, all those parts are available. I think I sold about a dozen Super EZ's and 4 or 5 Poulan XXV's, I'd really like a nice EZ and a XXV. The Poulan XXV was the only Poulan we used and it was a sweet little climbing saw. Sadly all of my climbing mentors are gone, except my cousin, and one of his climbers that I hunt with. Dang, I must be getting old, Joe.

I have a big old Homelite 770 that was my father-in-laws. I cleaned it up and got it to run but now the dogs in the recoil starter won't engage. How do I fix that?
I've had that happen on smaller saws and have had good results from a few spritzes of silicone spray. Might be worth a shot.

There is a epoxy that is used in motorcycle tanks as a sealant. Clean tank out good and then pour some in and roll it around to coat the tank. I wish I could remember the name of it.
I'll look for it. It seems to me that all-metal bar oil tanks should be easier to seal up than fuel tanks, but I'm not sure about that. I really like this old saw and that is the only thing that is wrong with it.

I'll look for it. It seems to me that all-metal bar oil tanks should be easier to seal up than fuel tanks, but I'm not sure about that. I really like this old saw and that is the only thing that is wrong with it.
uscomposits.com has some cool products to check out

There is a epoxy that is used in motorcycle tanks as a sealant clean tank out good then pour some in and roll it around to coat the tank wish I remembered the name of it
1 Brand is called Tank Seal IIRC there iare around 4/5differnt makes? Classic motor bike magazines will get you a supplier Google tank sealer for classic bikes

First time on, new member!...any suggestions on new life to a not so old saw? I have a Stihl MS291. 'bout 2.5 Y/O. a couple weeks ago was cutting down a tree. already ran 2 tanks of gas that day. after a while, it stalled out. Checked tank. needed refuel. Filled it back up and it never started again. Got it home and checked a few things. NO SPARK.... determined it was the coil. Took it to dealer since it was still under warranty. They ordered one and put it on. Nothing... a few weeks later , they call me and tell me the piston is scored. said it ran with straight gas. (still doesn't explain why it has no spark? There's no way I ran straight gas. I have three other saws for lighter duty. used them the oldest is about 30 Y/O, the 'youngest" is about 8 Y/O. never had this happen. I bought outside wood burner for heat and knew the other saws wouldn't handle the work load so I stepped up and bought a Stihl! I learned of the evils of ethanol a few years ago when the fuel lines on my power equipment started crumbling, so I found a source for ethanol free. When I got the Stihl, I bought new 2 gal fuel can. Went to station. filled with 1 gal and marked it. and then marked at 2 gal level. I use the Stihl oil mix for the 2 gal of gas.. making sure I follow mixture to the "T". Had no problems with it anytime I used it. ran great. until that day. Never even had to make any adjustments to the carb or anything. The only thing I've had to do with it is change the chains, fuel filter and air filter. And changed plug to make sure I didn't have a bad plug for no spark.. My concern is what else can cause this? I'm nervous because I use the same mixture and can for my Echo CS 400 and don't want to burn this one up.. and the next saw what ever I replace the 291 with... To have the dealer fix it will cost about $400.. new 291 is about $480... or I can just get an Echo CS 590 for $400. Don't know if I'll bother to try to rebuild it myself, but have heard that I can upgrade it to a 390/1??? since I may rebuild it..
Thanks !
- I have contacted Stihl about this.

Welcome to the forum Deuce,

Sounds a bit fishy that they claim the piston is scored weeks after they installed a new coil, but that's just my opinion. It sounds like you're not a novice to using chainsaws either. Almost all of my chainsaw repair knowledge has come from studying repair videos online and reading chainsaw forums like this one. I highly recommend checking out Don the Small Engine Doctor on youtube. He's got one of the best small engine repair channels around and he explains everything clearly. https://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy73
Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable guys here will offer some advice also. Again, welcome aboard.

Welcome to the forum Deuce,

Sounds a bit fishy that they claim the piston is scored weeks after they installed a new coil, but that's just my opinion. It sounds like you're not a novice to using chainsaws either. Almost all of my chainsaw repair knowledge has come from studying repair videos online and reading chainsaw forums like this one. I highly recommend checking out Don the Small Engine Doctor on youtube. He's got one of the best small engine repair channels around and he explains everything clearly. https://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy73
Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable guys here will offer some advice also. Again, welcome aboard.

Thanks for the lead!.. the piston is definitely scored.. the ring looks to be pretty much seized up as well. I just can't figure what else can lead to this. I can easily see that one can conclude straight gas, But I know what I did with this saw and I did not put straight gas in it. As I mentioned, I'm using the same fuel/gas in my Echo.. of course, now I'm nervous about using it.. although, now that I think about it... I've already cut up two other trees with that same gas, so can't see it being the fuel...

Follow-up to my scored piston issue: Was in contact with a couple dealers. Finally got a cause for a scored piston: over-heating/hot... causes for that include straight gas, worn chain, air leak, etc... Still know that I did not run straight gas. Emptied fuel from saw into jar. Took it to a dealer. he says, well, definitely mixed. it has a green tint to it. talked a bit more and he brought out a known good mixture.mine was "clearer". then I remembered, when I bought the echo, I had to purchase their oil initially for the warranty. thougth it might be a different color than Stihl's. grabbed the bottle and got ready to open than looked at the Stihl bottle. Noticed a little size difference. Then thought Uh-oh... at the top of the stihl bottle it says in regular print "2 cycle Engine oil" at the bottom in larger print with a bigger red "2".. Makes 2 gallons.... I look at the echo bottle and there's a Huge "2" and at the bottom of the "2" in black it says STROKE... in the lower corner in smaller print it says "1 Gallon mix"... oh crap... mixed it and comapred to old mix.. it's darker.. add the extra oil to old mix.. same as new mix.. crud!Then started thinking.. I almost always mix two gallons. I grabbed the Echo brand and seen the big "2" and assumed it was for 2 gallons... of COURSE I didn't have on my glasses to actually READ the bottle before hand... So, my meticulous blend was 2 gallons of gas to 2.6 oz. of oil for a ratio of 100:1 not the 50:1 needed!!!! SUNOFA%$#@!!
After getting over smokin' the saw.. well.. not really over it... I started thinking that this wasn't the first fuel tank I used that with, so, I ran over two gallons of 100:1 fuel in the Stihl and Echo.. and only smoked the Stihl. It sees heavier use... I ran the Echo for two trees while I was waiting to hear the diagnosis on the Stihl... So I could have EASILY smoked the echo as well..YIKES!!! Maybe running the Stihl synthetic mix before, helped this long??? SO, in the end. I was RIGHT! I did NOT run straight gas!!!... YEAH for me!... however.. I ran t with only half the oil mix it needed.. what a dufus!!!
So, On the Stihl site, I updated my review and ended it with an apology to Stihl.. it was a great saw.. until that happened... If I rebuild, I want to find out if I can update with a larger cylinder and piston.. I've read where a person updated their MS290 toa MS 390.. wonder if I can do similar.

Well Deuce it appears you've done your detective work and solved the mystery of your own making;). Don't beat yerself up too bad though cuz there ain't nary a one of us that's gone through this life mistake-free yet! If you learned something from this you're ahead of the game:angry:.

Well Deuce it appears you've done your detective work and solved the mystery of your own making;). Don't beat yerself up too bad though cuz there ain't nary a one of us that's gone through this life mistake-free yet! If you learned something from this you're ahead of the game:angry:.

Oh, I've learned!! Now, the decision is to rebuild it back, or try to go with a larger cylinder and piston to boost CC's.. or sell as is. Guy here at work can rebuild it.. just a matter of when I'll see it it again. He's got a lot of irons in the fire and it might be a while before getting it back.. or could attempt myself. Nothing to lose at this point!

Well if you do decide to rebuild here's a great top end how-to on a MS290 from beginning to end that could be very helpful.
I've made moderately difficult repairs on chainsaws but nothing quite as involved as a top end rebuild. Provided I had all the right tools I'd certainly give it a shot.

Back