New log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric I think it is only around 25 gpm at 2150 rpm. I usually dont run it much above idle. I think my primary relief is around 2250 psi and that wont stall the engine even at idle. You would laugh at my cylinder. I made it from scratch, but was not too fussy about internal threading for the gland ( my old lathe has no stops or auto kickoff ) so I welded in the head and assembled through the bottom and then welded in the base. It is a no maintenance cyl. Course with new shafting and seals I wont be worrying about that for a while.

No way will I laugh if it's home made and it works. Thats time well spent in your shop and more money in your pocket instead of a cylinder manufacturer. Wish I could have done that on mine. Need to get me a lathe.

bobcatman Both look pretty good. That 16 gpm 2 stage is for a 4 or 4 1/2 inch cylinder. I meant to tell you away's back that the 16 gpm 2 stage on a 5 inch cylinder is going to run noticebly slower. Takes more gpm to make the 5 inch run as fast as the 4 inch.

parts list

(Eric_271) well i am glad the parts should work now i have to find a few more parts and i can start this spring i hope.i have to get my motor in for a check up it has set for 15 years.if you guys come up with anymore good ideas let me know i will be reading daily.thanks to all!

Good thread. I've got a decent homemade splitter already, and am looking for ways to upgrade and improve it. Has anyone added any processor features to their splitters? I've got enough steel sitting around to build a log deck. The cut off saw would definitely be the tricky part.

Doesn't anyone make a splitter with a greater than 25" stroke? The stove I'm getting takes 32" wood but my splitter only takes 25". A local trimmer just delivered 3 loads cut to 28" per my request...guess there'll be a good pile of "cookies" soon.

jb

Several companies make splitters with 30", 36", 48" rams. Even saw one that max was 10 ft.But with the optional longer rams your talking dollars.Maybe with some creative stacking in the firebox you could utilize 16"-24" wood and keep your present splitter?
Here is a start looking at some companies making the longer stroke splitters.
http://www.logging-tools.com/NorthStar42TonLogSplitter18HP.html
http://www.logging-tools.com/NorthStar30TonLogSplitter13HP.html
Some models here can be ordered with optional 30", 36" or 48" rams.
http://www.americanmsr.com/
How is 10 ft. max log length http://www.vallpro.com/splitters/tw10/tw10.htm
Ray

Thanks - Mannnn..I never found these guys on Google search. Bottom line is..your suggestion of sticking with 24" lengths will win out over $5,000 splitters. I've already started cutting the cookies off the stuff that is already cut. Heck..those 30" pieces get hard on the old back anyways.

Thanks Ray
p.s. Still with Asleep at the Wheel? <G>
cheers
jb in bboo

Horizontal or Horizontal/Vertical

Hi guys,

been reading the threads about new splitters and I am in the same situation. Been looking at the Ram Splitters (www.ramsplitter.com and timberwolf). My biggest question at this point is which is better: a HORIZONTAL/VERTICAL or the HORIZONTAL.

I have always used the H/V before - where the wedge is attached to the cylinder. Obviously you can't put a 4 way wedge on the H/V......

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sorry for diggin up an old thread. ive been lurking here for a while and just decided to register. im in the process of building a splitter now and was wondering what people were using for motor couplers. im running a 9HP Honda engine with a 1" shaft and a Haldex 16GPM pump with a .500" shaft. ive looked at northerns site with no luck. also looked at the lovejoy couplers and cant seem to find a set that will go from 1" to .500" most are the same size at each end or within an eight inch of each other. thanx in advance

They must not be showing a full listing for the love joy cause you can get the one inch for the engine and half inch for the pump. Call northern and see if they stock them and if they dont have them order them or contact another outlet for love joy. If you have a local bearing supply in town they should have them also in all sizes.

They got it. That's what my setup is. They only sell 1/2 the coupling. Go to the page Ray linked and order one of each, and an insert.

thanx fellas. found what i need. for some reason i couldnt find it before.

also, anyone know how my speed will be with a 16 GPM pump and a 5" cylinder. i have a feeling i might kick myself in the ass for not going with the 22GPM pump. i cant wait to start splitting!!

I have used both types. Vertical and horizontal splitters. I purchased a vertical for it made sense it would be easier on the back. However, I did not like it. Too much effort is spent moving very large pieces around on the ground. For small pcs it was fine though.
Sold the vertical, went back to the horizontal with the log lift and 4 or 6 way wedge.
Have not one regret.

I have two splitter now a old home made 8hp briggs and stratton and a northstar 24 ton vertical and horizontal. I love the northstar I bought it and it had a old motor on it so I replaced that with a 8 hp honda and that thing splits wood very fast. This thing splits the wood 2 or 3 times faster then my other homemade splitter. I like not having to pick the log up or standup with a vert I can just roll it over sit down on another piece and split. I think the Northstar is the way to go they seem to have good design and craftsman ship unlike their electric tools and other junk. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another splitter from them.

Latest posts

Back