new mill or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Project of the day

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sites and thinking.
I was at the fair this weekend, and there were many inexpensive bandsaw mill. And gadget crazy as I am, thinking it little to upgrade from my Logosol to band sawmill.
But is a bit thoughtful when it comes to blades, for which I only have an ATV and drive out the timber with, so i drag it on the ground to get to the saw.
If I upgrade to a Wood Mizer LT10 will the blad hold, or will i haw to remove the bark first.
Or is it smarter to continue white chain, sins I grind myself?

Sorry may bad spaling.

We're more about sawdust than spelling, and you're doing great (WAY better than my Swedish)! Whether to go with the band mill depends on how much you mill, but to answer you questions, I mill an average of around 400 board feet (about .95 cubic meters) of 5/4 (30 mm) lumber between sharpenings. I do not remove the bark, though I do knock off any dirt or mud along the path of the blade where it enters the wood, though I do not worry about the exit side of the log. I sharpen my blades myself, and that helps a lot. I believe Logosol deals with Norwood sawmills, so you might want to check into that. Been very pleased with mine.

We're more about sawdust than spelling, and you're doing great (WAY better than my Swedish)! Whether to go with the band mill depends on how much you mill, but to answer you questions, I mill an average of around 400 board feet (about .95 cubic meters) of 5/4 (30 mm) lumber between sharpenings. .
What sort of blades are they Dave?
Im still on probation with the BS mill but it looks like were getting around 2.5 cubic metres at similar board sickness with these new bimetal blades. One blads was cutting some pretty hard wood was still OK in terms of sharpness after 2 cubic metres but it had lost some set so after restoring that it was still able to cut.

I've tried several blades, and that seems to be pretty typical for high speed steel. I have some bimetal blades that I use for wood that I suspect has metal, but don't use them for normal milling. I like Norwood's Goldline blades, but have had good luck with the Lennox blades, too. I might cut more if I'm milling softer wood like walnut or sycamore, but hickory & pecan are harder and less forgiving. I don't let the blades get as dull now that I sharpen them myself. 2.5 cubic metres on a blade is a pretty good run-- those bimetal blades are tough, but about four times the price of a steel tipped blade.

I've tried several blades, and that seems to be pretty typical for high speed steel. I have some bimetal blades that I use for wood that I suspect has metal, but don't use them for normal milling. I like Norwood's Goldline blades, but have had good luck with the Lennox blades, too. I might cut more if I'm milling softer wood like walnut or sycamore, but hickory & pecan are harder and less forgiving. I don't let the blades get as dull now that I sharpen them myself. 2.5 cubic metres on a blade is a pretty good run-- those bimetal blades are tough, but about four times the price of a steel tipped blade.

Thanks.

Back