New Mill vs G777 conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5sticks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a small log mill from Granberg about 6 months ago but have since stepped up my power head and now will be running a 3120 with a 42" bar.
Does anyone have any experience or insight in converting the Granberg G777 small log mill to a larger mill via the conversion kit or should I just keep the small log mill for the smaller stuff and purchase a new MKIV?
The cost of converting looks to be about 100$ cheaper than purchasing a new MKIV.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Go with the conversion.

Essentially, the conversion will give you one additional bar clamp/vertical adjuster piece, as well a a set of longer rails (and you will use this all with the existing bar clamp/vertical adjuster piece from the small log mill. You'll probably use the small log mill handle too).

The reason its probably cheaper is because when getting an entirely new MKIV you will be getting two bar clamp/vertical adjuster pieces along with the longer rails (the bar clamp/vertical piece is the same between the two mills, and fairly pricey since they are cast aluminum).

And if you ever want to mill smaller logs, you can adjust down the longer rails to whatever size you want, or just switch things over to the small log mill rails (which are about 20")

But also be sure to get the longer rails with the conversion set. I'm not sure if the longer rails come with the conversion. It may only give the additional bar clamp piece and assorted hardware, with the longer rails sold separately.

But also be sure to get the longer rails with the conversion set. I'm not sure if the longer rails come with the conversion. It may only give the additional bar clamp piece and assorted hardware, with the longer rails sold separately.

I noticed that last night when I was browsing the Granberg website, the conversion kit is just the hardware, the rails need to be purchased separately, even with 2 x 48" rails and the conversion kit, it comes in that 100$ cheaper.

I noticed that last night when I was browsing the Granberg website, the conversion kit is just the hardware, the rails need to be purchased separately, even with 2 x 48" rails and the conversion kit, it comes in that 100$ cheaper.

Hey, I just looked at Granberg about this myself, and yeah, you need separate rails, but as you said, its $100 cheaper. Though at 48" you may be on the edge of needing an additional central crossbar for support, just a thought.

Otherwise, looks good. Happy milling!

I did notice they said above 48" will require another part to make the conversion possible (bar on/off bracket or something I believe, but may be wrong).
The main point of seeing what everyone had to say was that the 100$ is negligible in the big picture. If with the conversion, I get exactly what an MKIV would be then I would do it, otherwise I would just keep the G777 on hand for the smaller stuff and have a small bar/chain combo for use with it as well.

One thing worth mentioning is that the small log mill uses two set screws to clamp the bar. The mk4 uses a true clamp type bar clamp. While this isn't a big difference, the clamp on the small log mill is considerably less rigid. Also,it does not allow you to modify the mounts to a bolt through bar clamping system. These are just my experiences with my small log mill and mk4 mill.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I converted my small mill and would not do it again.

Free rider hit the nail on the head. The clamping system on a small log mill is different. I personally think it is plenty secure (maybe even more secure), but it marks the heck out of a bar. Most importantly, as noted, would be much more work to modify. Even the mounting of a saw in a modified mill is more difficult.

If you're going to a much bigger mill you'll likely find having the small one around is handy.

I did notice they said above 48" will require another part to make the conversion possible (bar on/off bracket or something I believe, but may be wrong).

You don't necessarily need the extra "on/off bars", but they're nice to have on a mill that size. One would probably do. I put two on mine, using the leftover shorter rails and a piece of aluminum stock I had. This is just because it was cheaper than buying them.

Latest posts

Back