New MS 880 Coil Swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Gut

A Fine Pilsner
Reaction score
OK here we go guys after Splitposts idea of the MS 441 coil and Cahoon trying it on his race saw here is the MS880 coil swap thread. There will be more to follow but here is the progress tonight. The new MS 880 rev limits at about 11,000 rpm and according to recent info the MS 441 coil is a direct bolt up, and it is they are identical except the prong for the on/off switch. See pics below..

View attachment 225754
View attachment 225755

Then the pic of the old coil followed by the new one installed on my 880.

View attachment 225756
View attachment 225757

I purchased a MS 441 coil pulled the stock coil out of my 880 the pics above show the comparison between the two. I installed the 441 coil easy as pie, my 880 starts and idles as it should. I let the saw idle for a bit and then gave it a tach reading. The idle was around 2800 rpm and sounded normal the wide open throttle was 10500, but rich as hell if I bumped the throttle then floored it the saw would pop or back fire as if it was loaded up. The rev limit sounded like it was gone the saw climbed and kept going stopping at 10500, but like I said rich but no F**ked up breaking garble at the peek like the saw was insane with the rev limit. The plan is to pull the limit caps on the carb and tune the saw right I know I don't have to do this to lean it out but they are being cut anyway do to dual port muffler parts on the way.

This is the progress so far and this proves nothing but that the 441 coil will bolt up and run a new 880. But if info I had been getting is correct this coil will tach out at 13500 to 14000 so with some adjustment I should see some gain. Then video for all.

OK here we go guys after Splitposts idea of the MS 441 coil and Cahoon trying it on his race saw here is the MS880 coil swap thread. There will be more to follow but here is the progress tonight. The new MS 880 rev limits at about 11,000 rpm and according to recent info the MS 441 coil is a direct bolt up, and it is they are identical except the prong for the on/off switch. See pics below..

View attachment 225754
View attachment 225755

View attachment 225756
View attachment 225757

I purchased a MS 441 coil pulled the stock coil out of my 880 the pics above show the comparison between the two. I installed the 441 coil easy as pie, my 880 starts and idles as it should. I let the saw idle for a bit and then gave it a tach reading. The idle was around 2800 rpm and sounded normal the wide open throttle was 10500, but rich as hell if I bumped the throttle then floored it the saw would pop or back fire as if it was loaded up. The rev limit sounded like it was gone the saw climbed and kept going stopping at 10500, but like I said rich but no F**ked up breaking garble at the peek like the saw was insane with the rev limit. The plan is to pull the limit caps on the carb and tune the saw right I know I don't have to do this to lean it out but they are being cut anyway do to dual port muffler parts on the way.

This is the progress so far and this proves nothing but that the 441 coil will bolt up and run a new 880. But if info I had been getting is correct this coil will tach out at 13500 to 14000 so with some adjustment I should see some gain. Then video for all.

The 441 is rev limited too at 13-13,5 I think.

Way to take one for the team:clap: I'm glad it worked out for you. That's a huge improvement.

We will keep it going hopefully it will be an improvement. Any advice or thing to watch for with a coil swap would be helpful. Exciting stuff, popular saw, have to work it out eventually.

Thanks

disclaimer-please dont take this as gospell

Splitpost recently mentioned something about this.. He should be around shortly. Sounded like it was so..

i looked at those and as far as i can figure it really comes down to the last four numbers on the coil 1300 being the most desireable ,1301 ,and 1302 not they are the later generation and seem to have the lower rev specs,now this may not stand true in all aspects as the flywheels will most likely have differing diameters,this will probably affect timing,the new 880 has magnets on both sides of the coil and the diameter measures 126mm(sorry for my metricness)across the magnets,i would be interested in finding out what a 441 and 361 flywheel measures?i also looked at the 361 coil,so that may be an option ,:cheers:

i looked at those and as far as i can figure it really comes down to the last four numbers on the coil 1300 being the most desireable ,1301 ,and 1302 not they are the later generation and seem to have the lower rev specs,now this may not stand true in all aspects as the flywheels will most likely have differing diameters,this will probably affect timing,the new 880 has magnets on both sides of the coil and the diameter measures 126mm(sorry for my metricness)across the magnets,i would be interested in finding out what a 441 and 361 flywheel measures?i also looked at the 361 coil,so that may be an option ,:cheers:

i asked, since stumpy posted he was able to swap a 361 coil into a 362 which happens to be a direct swap. so if 441 coils works in a 362 then...yall know where iam going with this.

lookie lookie

$%28KGrHqJHJBwE8fV-JT8yBPI!d8TwUg~~60_57.JPG

might just work.

putting these coils will raise the revs on the new 880 ,but i think you might be going backwards fitting a 441 coil on a 361 or 362 as they have a higher max permissible speed compared to the 441

the point iam making is using a unlimited 361 coil in the new 880.

just saying if a 441 coil works in a 362 then a 361 coil should work in a 441 which means it will work in a new 880.

View attachment 225754
View attachment 225755

View attachment 225756
View attachment 225757

I would be checking the timing on the 880 coil with a light then time the 441 coil to match....or a few degrees advanced. It sounds to me like the timing is off.

Not trying to be a buzz kill, just hoping to help. :)

Back