New MS 880 Coil Swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had anyone yet shown if this will work, or not? I will bee modding a new 880 soon, and will definitely be trying a 361 coil. All I have to do is steal Nik's saw:)

:cool2:Going to be real interested to see if you change the intake timing ,and what you do with the intake port

Huh I just came out from from under my rock, hello everyone again. some interesting stuff developed since I was last here. (Working like a nut). Splitpost why did you change your intake boot?

this one came stock on this almot 3 year old 880:
66gpp1.jpg

this 880 will still 4 stroke up to near 15000rpm. figured 13500ish is good.

Tuned my saw with 441 coil last winter, as soon as temp hit 70 deg, wouldnt start (drowning). But even in the subzero cold air wasnt the issue it was gas, and the escape of exhaust. Intake huffs like a champ, had to dump in fuel, tuned it now at 40deg hoping this will suit for most temps. Still at 12,500 rpm. I need to do another vid for the big boys, wonder if i can push it farther.

what part of nearly 3 year old ms880 did you miss?:msp_wink:
the pic is right there.

must be one of the last of the poly flywheel 880's for 2009,pretty sure that coil is 088, has that saw got flippy caps?
,2009 was the intro for the newest 880 and without a lot of stuffin round that coil wont go near fitting the later casting

Huh I just came out from from under my rock, hello everyone again. some interesting stuff developed since I was last here. (Working like a nut). Splitpost why did you change your intake boot?
mate re-read post 111 and 112

The new intake boot is smaller.
yep!

Then curious why less air would help? Unless to save on fuel..

the older 088/880 boot and carb are larger id.................must EPA regs related???

must be one of the last of the poly flywheel 880's for 2009,pretty sure that coil is 088, has that saw got flippy caps?
,2009 was the intro for the newest 880 and without a lot of stuffin round that coil wont go near fitting the later casting

bought in the middle of feb. 2010
14o88t4.jpg

what are these 'flippy caps' you speek of?:hmm3grin2orange:
eskk0l.jpg

de06z9.jpg

Do you know if thre coil mounting holes are the same on the current 880 (stainless muff ) as the old model 880 (alloy muff )
What im asking is will a 441(manual tune model) coil work on the old model 880 ?.

Do you know if thre coil mounting holes are the same on the current 880 (stainless muff ) as the old model 880 (alloy muff )
What im asking is will a 441(manual tune model) coil work on the old model 880 ?.

No the old 880 model has the same mounting holes as the 088, and that is the unlimited coil to buy. The newer 880's will take the 441 coil and possibly others.

Guys help me here but the newer models will include saws 2010 and newer?

No the old 880 model has the same mounting holes as the 088, and that is the unlimited coil to buy. The newer 880's will take the 441 coil and possibly others.

Guys help me here but the newer models will include saws 2010 and newer?

think they were introed late 2009,but most places didn't see them till 2010,heck some dealers are probly still selling pre 09 ms880 saws ,just depends on how many they bought in prior to the upgrade

After playing with my saw more and more over the last couple of days I'm starting to think the 441 coil is rev limited around 13500rpm. The saw will tune fine in (30 something deg weather) up to 13000. If I try to push it more the 4 stroke doesn't go away but the saw starts the rev up and down. I have to say I didn't cut the limit caps yet and to get 13+ I have to pin the H screw. I wonder if a different coil like the 361 or whatever wouldn't yield a better result.

This saw with the muff mod seems to take whatever I push it to but now seems I'm restricted again.

I have to reiterate just went to run the saw again already warm. Let it warm up a few minutes more a cigarettes length (hot). With the limit cap in place the saw will rev to 13300-13400 four stroking fine but starts to break up after that. I will bet pulling the caps at this point is useless and the 441 coil is rev limited to 13500.

Splitpost do you have any findings here.....

Latest posts

Back