New ms250 vs echo cs490 vs stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyforlife21

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
026 pro used local looks like the typical 20 year old saw $250
250 on sale for $299 right now had one and loved it sold it when needed money
Echo new model 50cc $325
Husqvarna 445 also had one of these years ago only ran it for an hour before I also needed money and sold it.

I'm assuming most here are already familiar with most of these
Which would you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

026 pro used local looks like the typical 20 year old saw $250
250 on sale for $299 right now had one and loved it sold it when needed money
Echo new model 50cc $325
Husqvarna 445 also had one of these years ago only ran it for an hour before I also needed money and sold it.

I'm assuming most here are already familiar with most of these
Which would you go with?

go 025 for US $299 hell we can upwards pay $799 for basic 025 model with out no tool chain adjust or easy start as the o26 getting a bit old at 20 yearss tho mine 20 plus still got some go,,, i dont touch husky or echo saws,,, its a bloke thing i guess :);):p

I like the 026.to me the 250 and husky arent compareable.as far as echo i like whats being put out these days i would go with the 490 myself.
BUT we might as well get to the end of the discussion early.you should forget all of these saws and go with either a ported dolkita 7910 or stihl ms461.

Stihl has brought the MS250 back for the annual fall sale. Beware, apparently it is quickly developing a reputation as a piece of junk. I saw the ad and went down to check it out and my local dealer, a friend of mine who sold me on Echo last last year seems to be doing the same thing. Apparently the new 250 has several problems that didn't exist on the old iteration. He steered me towards the Echo CS 400 which apparently is far more reliable than the new small Stihls with the same weight and similar power to the 250. That's funny, he did the same thing to me last year when I needed a new firewood saw(I am retired now and my old 038 needed retiring as well). He sold me a CS 590 which came in a chest for $400 and I love it. The limiters were removed and the saw tuned before they were replaced by his tech who told me that the saw is more reliable and will last longer with an enrichened mixture(duh). I muffler modded it and retuned it after break in and used it all winter(my new favorite saw) and it has plenty of power. I recently gave away my old 028 so wanted to get a new small saw that I can use for the small stuff and for limbing as well. Now I have a CS-400 and have modded the muffler on that(limiters removed, adjusted and limiters replaced again) and I am extremely pleased. I feel as though I am getting more for my money than with Stihl and I don't miss them at all now that I have found saws that are easier to start and use. Time will tell if they are as reliable as this dealer claims and he should know, he has been selling power equipment since 1979. I have a major construction project planned for next spring and hope to spend the winter felling large pines on my lot and turning them into lumber. These saws(and me) are going to get a real workout. I am planning to use the CS-590 with a mill and we'll see how that goes. It might be a little slow but then again, so am I these days and I have nothing if not time and patience and a real appreciation for being out in the forest with my dogs.

. . .had one and loved it sold it when needed money
. . . had one of these years ago . . . before I also needed money and sold it. . . . Which would you go with?

Nothing personal, but with your track record, I would choose the saw with the highest resale value . . .

Philbert

Stihl has brought the MS250 back for the annual fall sale. Beware, apparently it is quickly developing a reputation as a piece of junk. I saw the ad and went down to check it out and my local dealer, a friend of mine who sold me on Echo last last year seems to be doing the same thing. Apparently the new 250 has several problems that didn't exist on the old iteration. He steered me towards the Echo CS 400 which apparently is far more reliable than the new small Stihls with the same weight and similar power to the 250. That's funny, he did the same thing to me last year when I needed a new firewood saw(I am retired now and my old 038 needed retiring as well). He sold me a CS 590 which came in a chest for $400 and I love it. The limiters were removed and the saw tuned before they were replaced by his tech who told me that the saw is more reliable and will last longer with an enrichened mixture(duh). I muffler modded it and retuned it after break in and used it all winter(my new favorite saw) and it has plenty of power. I recently gave away my old 028 so wanted to get a new small saw that I can use for the small stuff and for limbing as well. Now I have a CS-400 and have modded the muffler on that(limiters removed, adjusted and limiters replaced again) and I am extremely pleased. I feel as though I am getting more for my money than with Stihl and I don't miss them at all now that I have found saws that are easier to start and use. Time will tell if they are as reliable as this dealer claims and he should know, he has been selling power equipment since 1979. I have a major construction project planned for next spring and hope to spend the winter felling large pines on my lot and turning them into lumber. These saws(and me) are going to get a real workout. I am planning to use the CS-590 with a mill and we'll see how that goes. It might be a little slow but then again, so am I these days and I have nothing if not time and patience and a real appreciation for being out in the forest with my dogs.

I'm an echo guy for sure there stuff seems higher quality in the same price range maybe lower hp though my only thing is when I buy an echo I can never sell it is be had 3 cs400 now a 330t 352 311 if I paid 350 used it for 2 hours I ended up getting 125 for it 6 months later with stihl even if they are junkier that same 350 saw I'll get 2-250 for in a week it angers me that everyone thinks echo is a junk Home Depot brand that never even looked at one

I think this dealer needs to open the bay doors and be rid of the exhaust fumes. The MS 250 is the same MS 250 as they had before. I would believe him if the MS 250 was a reworked one but that is the MS 251.. Same tooling same parts my friend. That statement alone would cause me to doubt the dealers knowledge and ability. :ices_rofl:
I have sold many of them and no issues to date.

I can tell you one thing after years of using CS400 Echos I've never had one problem with them and they are the best starting and running saws made. Far as Stihl I think they are cheaping them up every year. Polaris snowmobiles went from a 75% market share to just over 10% just cuz they cheapen them up, lied about HP and tried to live off their name . Steve

Latest posts

Back