New ms250 vs echo cs490 vs stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dealer has his head on straight, he said he didn't want any surprises. He knows I've only used Stihl for a long time. I never thought he was crazy, I have a friend who started buying Echo several years ago and he never stopped. I've only heard good from him and it seemed like I was hearing the opposite from certain people on this forum. I had to go with my buddy, he's a bit of a rain man. I am willing to bet that he never told a lie in his life. He and my friend the dealer steered me towards Echo and although I have only had a CS-590 for a little over a year, I respect it. I dragged it all over the woods last winter, it lived lying in the melting snow. For about two months last January to March, it seemed like I removed snow for two to three days a week and cut standing dead trees the rest of the time because it was so cold that the firewood was being depleted at an alarming rate. I'm demanding and I always work hard and so does my saw. I also always care well for my equipment and nothing gets put off or overlooked. Maintenance is key to longevity and I'm a retired aircraft mechanic among other things and I love to tinker. Time will tell about the saws. The dealer however, is a good guy in my book. He's a straight shooter and definitely an expert. He has a way of keeping everyone satisfied and doesn't hesitate to recommend equipment he thinks will work for them. He's been doing it for most of his adult life and has definitely found his calling. Like I said, he's never steered me wrong.

The dealer has his head on straight, he said he didn't want any surprises. He knows I've only used Stihl for a long time. I never thought he was crazy, I have a friend who started buying Echo several years ago and he never stopped. I've only heard good from him and it seemed like I was hearing the opposite from certain people on this forum. I had to go with my buddy, he's a bit of a rain man. I am willing to bet that he never told a lie in his life. He and my friend the dealer steered me towards Echo and although I have only had a CS-590 for a little over a year, I respect it. I dragged it all over the woods last winter, it lived lying in the melting snow. For about two months last January to March, it seemed like I removed snow for two to three days a week and cut standing dead trees the rest of the time because it was so cold that the firewood was being depleted at an alarming rate. I'm demanding and I always work hard and so does my saw. I also always care well for my equipment and nothing gets put off or overlooked. Maintenance is key to longevity and I'm a retired aircraft mechanic among other things and I love to tinker. Time will tell about the saws. The dealer however, is a good guy in my book. He's a straight shooter and definitely an expert. He has a way of keeping everyone satisfied and doesn't hesitate to recommend equipment he thinks will work for them. He's been doing it for most of his adult life and has definitely found his calling. Like I said, he's never steered me wrong.

Don you seem like a good egg, so I will simply state that the dealer was " mistaken " in his statement that the MS 250 was re-released and it has problems. There are many dealers on here and I am sure someone would chime in and agree that this dealer gave you the berries on this one. The dealership I work for has a simple rule. Do not lie to the customer. Be honest with them. I turn away more echo saws simply because the dealer network here in my city stinks. That does not make them bad. But ask anyone that makes a living from their equipment if they would rather have a decent saw that they can get parts and or service done easily on or one that can be thawed from a deep freeze that takes a week to get a spur sprocket I think you already know the answer. It is the little lies, the subtle omissions that are the measure of a good dealer. That is just my thoughts on it.

Not the 251 but I have run my friends two 025s many times over the years they do the job but I much prefer my 490 I have sad to say but I could get more for those old saws than my new one.

Not the 251 but I have run my friends two 025s many times over the years they do the job but I much prefer my 490 I have sad to say but I could get more for those old saws than my new one.

The old 025 Stihls were good running saws, but hard to work on. I think the quality of the newer 250 and 251 saws went downhill as Stihl cheapens them up every year. No integrity left in management as they don't care if they ruin a good name . Steve

I can only comment on the stihls, i just got through a long lengthy process trying out aftermarket parts on an ms 250... long story short i have the ms 250 running perfect again and i got 2 026s, yes the 026 is the better saw, but man are they finicky compared to the 250, when my 026s run, LOOK OUT. but sadly when they dont i grab the 250, sharpen the chain, and cut. Just today took half the fleet out to cut up a hickory tree, had the 026s with, and the 250, i swear someone switched the stihl badges on the o26s with the badge pullon.. i got mad and yanked the rope on the 250 and started cutting.If you cut alot and know how to work on a saw, buy the 026, but if you are a moderate user, buy the 250 and learn basic maintenance and it will serve you well.

The old 025 Stihls were good running saws, but hard to work on. I think the quality of the newer 250 and 251 saws went downhill as Stihl cheapens them up every year. No integrity left in management as they don't care if they ruin a good name . Steve
I don't feel like the 250 is hard to work on but it does take time. On some repairs it is easier than the 026 but changing a p/c is not one of them.

I got two 490s off the bay one for a neighbor after he tried mine 300.00 with free shipping their on there often somebody snagged one for 261.00 hard to beat on a new saw.

I got two 490s off the bay one for a neighbor after he tried mine 300.00 with free shipping their on there often somebody snagged one for 261.00 hard to beat on a new saw.
Well I hope ebay has a good service department to take care of you after the sale. I just don't get it. So few people anymore care about supporting dealers and yet they complain about dealers and wonder why the dealer isn't there to support them!

A lot of people only have one saw, and don't have the time, tools, or experience to repair or rebuild a saw. I have learned a lot from this site, and from messing more with saws over the past 15 years or so. But I still remember knowing nothing about how a saw works, or how to do even basic diagnoses or repairs. If I am buying a new $300 to $600 saw, and something fails under warranty, I expect the dealer to take care of it.

If I buy a 'parts' or 'project' saw to mess with during my spare time, that is something different.

For a lot of guys, maintaining the chain, and keeping the air filter clean by themselves is a challenge.

Philbert

People who don't know much about chainsaws and only have one saw tend to run ethanol fuel in them and then leave it in the saw until the next time they use it. I've worked on lots of saws that have the fuel left in them for more than a year or two and the owner always says "it ran okay the last time I used it".

Latest posts

Back