New MS880 milling for the first time..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppj690

Stihl MS880
Reaction score
After having my saws stolen, including my new (to me) 084 for milling, I recently purchased a new MS880.
I ran a few tanks through it before milling, but tried it for the first time yesterday on some Ash. Diameter was about 30", but seemed to cope with no problems at all.
There were a couple of issues I encountered throughout the day which you guys may be able to help me with...

I had to keep stopping to clean the HD air filter after every cut. At the end of the cut the saw would bog down and loose a little power. Does everyone else have the same problem with these HD filter systems...?

The second issue is that by the end of the session the rear handle assembly was very loose on the saw...Im guessing the AV mounts had obviously worn or come loose...Any ideas? Should they deteriorate so rapidly and are they easy to replace?

Anyway, all in all a good days milling. Will try and upload some pics!

View attachment 295983View attachment 295984View attachment 295985View attachment 295986

Thanks for any advice or comments

James

I am not sure about the av mount, have you taken it apart and inspected it yet? Maybe a bolt is loose?
I clean my air filter after every cut while milling.

Thats a little more reassuring... I guess its due to the finer chips created with a ripping chain too..?

Have taken the mount plugs out and nothing is loose, looks like one or more av mounts has split, are they easy enough to change?

James

We have much harder wood here that you guys but I only clean my 880 filter about every once during a milling day and once at the end of the day. The filter is quite dusty but the saw seems to cope with it very easily.

I've never had any trouble with my AV mounts.

Good looking wood too!

Thanks Bob...
Does anyone know if the av mounts simply come out through the hole for the plastic plug or do I have to tear the saw apart to remove them..?

James

I clean the filter on 88 when i put it away , were using the exhaust to help blow the dust away it makes a difference even in a good breeze . Go to the bottom of Bobs post to the BIL mill the exh mods start on 26 or 27 for the 88 . Read up on progressive rippers and sharpen your chain you dont need to push so hard as to damage av mounts. Look for the picture of Bob sitting in a chair while mill cuts .

Last edited:
I had to keep stopping to clean the HD air filter after every cut. At the end of the cut the saw would bog down and loose a little power. Does everyone else have the same problem with these HD filter systems...?
I clean my Stihl HD filters only at the end of the day. Plus, Stihl pro saws have an "intellicarb" that automatically compensates for a dirty filter.

On the other other hand, my Makita and Efco filters have to be cleaned several times a day when milling. They lack an intellicarb.

Is your carb tuned correctly ?

Carb is fine... The saw runs perfectly with plenty of power until the end of the cut...Bang the filter out a few times and replace and its good to go again. Seems like this is a common problem when milling... Just need to keep it clean!

Anyone replaced av mounts on an MS880..?

Thanks

James

Looks like a great idea..although to send it to the UK is gonna cost $23.00..!
may have to improvise.. !

Last edited:
Looks like a great idea..although to send it to the UK is gonna cost $23.00..!
may have to improvise.. !
pantyhose used to work in our old mx days to cover the filter before these came out

Check the clutch. Is your chain to tight. I have noticed this before on my 880 also. You might be miss diagnosing things if you stop to clean the filter out which will also let the clutch cool down just enough to grab better when you start back up. I use an oil type filter(maxflow...pia , not cheap,but cheaper in the long run.)

Yep.. A 36" Alaskan mill. Clutch is fine and don't think the chain is overtight... Not got an aux oiler on the nose, so that would help.
Its certainly the air filter as results when knocked out are instantly better...

Just need to sort out the AV mounts now, are they hard to replace..?

Cheers

James

That 880 throws out oil in amounts that are excessively sufficient to lube a 36" bar while milling. I am only saying that because mine will have oil running down the sides of the bar when crosscutting with a 36" bar. I changed my 660 oil pump to the Aussie/high flow version,many it will dang near empty the oil tank before you run out of gas of it is turned all the way up. I hope you're enjoying the 880, but I do have a question. Did you buy the saw new? I'm guessing no with shot AV mounts. I ask this because I was curious when you broke the saw in, did you notice a ridiculous increase in power after the fifth or sixth tank? I was bucking a 34" white oak with .404x.063 on a 36" bar with a 404-7 sprocket. In the beginning of that job it acted like a dog. I was completely unimpressed with that saw for a while, and I was on the verge of getting rid of it to get a 3120. Well, I got to the 4th cut of the day, and I tell you what, that thing came to life. It will cut stink off a turd now.

Yes, the saw was new, so surprised the AV mounts went in such a short time... I ran a couple of tanks through it "gently" before I started using it for milling. I can honestly say that I have now put about 15-20 tanks through it and it hasn't really changed too much. I did, however just finish a DP muffler mod on it but haven't had a chance to mill with it since so hopefully with a little tuning I can extract a little more grunt. It has decent power but expect it will improve with a few more tanks.

Yes, changed the mounts for OEM Stihl mounts and they haven't been an issue since... My first milling with the saw was a rather large Ash trunk so probably not very fair on the old girl straight out of the box..!

That depends whats being milled. In Aussie hardwoods I still use an auxilliary oiler right down to 24" cuts.

I hope to one day mill those legendary hardwoods found in Australia. Our hardwoods are soft compared to what y'all deal with. I agree though. In hardwood like that, you need all the oil you can get on that chain.

Are there any tricks y'all use to mill that stuff? Does it cause excessive amounts of pitch and saw dust to build up on the chain?

I've only been milling for around three years now. I will always appreciate any insight or knowledge that you are willing to share.

Back