New Red Maples Dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbray1984

Reaction score
I bought and planted red maples in April. They were growing well but in the attached picture you can see they are dying. Two possible scenarios. I have a lawn service and they spray for broad leaf so that could have done it the second is that I am an idiot and thought my new trees needed some tree fertilizer so I used tree spikes. I have been flushing them daily but whatever is killing them seems to be progressing.

Is there anything else I can do to try and save these new trees? Should I wait and see what they do or should I just accept they will die and plant new ones now?

Attachments

• IMG_20160515_161236723.jpg
    IMG_20160515_161236723.jpg
    992.8 KB · Views: 18
Is the soil real wet? Saturated soil is as bad as dry soil as the roots need oxygen and if the soil pores are filled with water, there is not room for the air.

Very wet. I have been trying to flush whatever is hurting them. I could have over flushed them though I suppose. Bad news is that it is going to rain for the next few days pretty steadily.

Well we have gotten 3 inches of rain in the last 2 days so that didn't help anything. Is there anything that I can do to help them recover?

Back