New Rope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantiff2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was playing on a new 3 strand rigging line today while it's still safe and has not been "loaded" yet. The thing kept twisting on me when weight was applied! Is this ''normal" for 3 strand? I'm looking for a climbing rope and was wondering if that happens with 12 or 16 strand?

Dan

I was playing on a new 3 strand rigging line today while it's still safe and has not been "loaded" yet. The thing kept twisting on me when weight was applied! Is this ''normal" for 3 strand? I'm looking for a climbing rope and was wondering if that happens with 12 or 16 strand?

Dan

I've never climbed on 3-strand. A 16-strand or 24-strand rope will twist somewhat while you climb but nothing major. It's mainly during descent, the friction hitch tends to twist the tail of the rope in the direction of the coils in the hitch. There are strategies to mitigate twisting during a climb, main thing is let the tail hang free, don't pin it down in a rope bag on the ground if you can avoid it. I'd bypass 12-strand rope if you can afford a 16 or 24 strand.
-moss

If you decide to to go for a rope in the 7/16" variety but like the feel of a grippier rope, AllGear makes a 16 strand rope that is 7/16" diameter called NeoPro. I have two of them and love them. If you're on the east coast and want to buy a hank, PM me and I'll give you the number to a dealer who'll give you a good deal and get it to you in 1-2 days.

Josh Frazier USMC

Back